Does Holland trade for Glendening?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Offseason 2021 has been the target for improvements since Holland's arrival. I expect he will be very busy this summer to push the team to the next level. A 2LW would have been nice today, but it is not the end of the world for me.

Then he's been planning his death bed. Ufas are trash. As is nuge apparently.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Doesn't need to just be free agent hunting. He can also get involved in the trade market now that he'll have room to take on money.

How much money do they actually have once the season ends? I would push for Dougie Hamilton as a D. Top 6 winger (LW) : Only Saad, Tatar, or Lowry look appealing/doable

Celleyna

Jun 4, 2009
Anyone else think we should move nuge to the third line center position? He has chemistry with khaira on the pk, maybe elevate that line.
Then call up Benson to try him out on that top line.
Perhaps that is a role he can fill. Because he isn’t doing much 5v5 anyway.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
How much money do they actually have once the season ends? I would push for Dougie Hamilton as a D. Top 6 winger (LW) : Only Saad, Tatar, or Lowry look appealing/doable

Good question...need to consider whether we'll be signing Barrie and Nuge to contracts. And signing a 1A/B goalie.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Good question...need to consider whether we'll be signing Barrie and Nuge to contracts. And signing a 1A/B goalie.

I don't see any way the Oilers won't re-sign Nuge (unless he prices himself out). I'd take Hamilton over Barrie in an instant too but that's just my opinion.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
TAAATAAARRRRR! I would be happy with acquiring him just so I can say that.

Tatar is a decent player but if Holland's big plan is

Tatar McDavid Puljujarvi
RNH Draisaitl Yamamoto

I think that's too soft of a top six to go deep in the playoffs. Tatar and Yamamoto are small guys and RNH is a weakling.

Also buyer beware on UFAs over 30 contracts with term.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
Next year we'll be calling him Kenny Hall-land.
Kenny is a smart man, wouldn't touch the loser with your dick and the 45% of cryhards on this board pushing. I love the 2 minute mark of his presser. Gets asked about being in on hall, looks like he smelled a fart. "no, the answer is no..." ha sounds like kevy tried calling, he took the phone off the hook, cell straight to voice-mail. Called him back after the trade was announced.

Atta boy Kenny. next year is a way easier tdl. russel should be gone to expansion, Unload kosko w a pick for a cap dump to somebody rebuilding, maybe Calgary cause it'd be funny.

anybody catch their presser today? Man can they shovel the shit down there. Sutter experience at play no doubt. Uh yeah daves been a good soldier and we wanted to give him a chance to play. ( So we set him up as the third stringer on Toronto.) But we're not pulling the pin on the season. Hahaha brutal . They're gonna try a patch job down south this summer, should have a few good rentals next year as they weren't smart enough to be sellers this year. stupid does as stubborn is.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
CapFriendly says $27M, but I think that is a little off because they are counting Neal's and Turris's contracts being lower on the taxi squad for next season. It's about $24M if Klefbom returns, $28M if he doesn't (I know about LTIR but just for simplicity sake that's what I'm going with).

The Oilers had $8M to use in each of the past two offseasons.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Dougie Hamilton is done with Alberta after his stint in Calgary. Doesn't like the media pressure.

I see the Oilers signing Brandon Sutter as the 3C in the summer.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
2021 offseason based on who on the roster/taxi squad is signed for next season:

x - McDavid - Puljujarvi
x - Draisaitl - x
x - Turris - Kassian
Neal - x - Archibald

Nurse - Bear
Klefbom - Bouchard
Jones - Russell
Lagesson

Koskinen
Stalock

Signed: 16 (7F, 7D, 2G)
RFAs: Yamamoto, Khaira, Shore, Kahun
UFAs: Barrie, RNH, Larsson, Kulikov, Ennis, Chiasson, Smith, P. Russell, Nygard, Haas, Koekkoek
Retained Salary: Lucic
Buyouts: Sekera

Cap Space: $24,234,667

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm legit shocked that we didn't trade for Glendening though.

And honestly, that's a win that we didn't.
I don't think it is. The team gets massacred on the draw quite often. It puts Draisaitl out there at inopportune times and drives his icetime up unnecessarily.

What that suggests to me is that the market on those types of players was inflated at the very last minute. Florida paying two 2nds for the lesser Bennett probably didn't do good things to ask for Derek Ryan.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
My guess for the roster after the summer would be

Tatar McDavid Puljujarvi
RNH Draisaitl Yamamoto
Benson Sutter Kassian
Neal Khaira Archibald

Nurse Larsson
Oleksiak Bouchard
Lagesson Bear

Dreidger
Smith
Koskinen

Seattle takes Klefbom. Barrie walks.

Holland then spend the 1st at the deadline for Rakell or someone like that. Holloway joins the team down the stretch.

The unconventional thing they do ... keep Koskinen as the third string goalie and send him to the AHL.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
2021 offseason based on who on the roster/taxi squad is signed for next season:

SAAD(3.5-4M)- McDavid - Puljujarvi
RNH(5x5) - Draisaitl - Yamo 2X2
Coleman(3M)
-Haula(2M)- Kassian
Neal - Turris- Archibald

Nurse - Larsson(5M)
Klefbom - Bouchard
Kulikov(2.5M)- Russell
Lagesson
Driedger(3.5M)
Koskinen
Stalock

Signed: 16 (7F, 7D, 2G)
RFAs: Yamamoto, Khaira, Shore, Kahun
UFAs: Barrie, RNH, Larsson, Kulikov, Ennis, Chiasson, Smith, P. Russell, Nygard, Haas, Koekkoek
Retained Salary: Lucic
Buyouts: Sekera

Cap Space: $24,234,667

See bolded the moves that would IMO turn this team into a legit contender next year. I Spent 26M, as I presume this scenario would have Bear/Jones moved out for expansion or room.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Honestly I think the Oil are going to push a kid-movement next year. I can see Benson, McLeod, and Marody all getting long looks, plus Holloway joining later in the year.

Do I expect all of them to stick? No, but they've earned a shot to make the team out of camp.

I can see the start of the season looking something like this...

_____-McDavid-Pulju
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Benson-McLeod-Marody
Kassian-Khaira-Archibald

Holland will have some of the extra capspace to go after a 1 year rental for the top 6 (though the market is fairly baren), but I think Holloway will get that spot before then end of the year. Thus you might just see Kassian or Turris there as a placeholder if one of them can finish this year strongly.

End of next season I can see something like...

RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Holloway-McDavid-Pulju
Benson-McLeod-Archibald/Kassian
_____-Khaira-Archibald/Kassian

Last edited:
Reactions: The Safe Play

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Send down Nygard+Russell+Neal

Call up Benson+McLeod+Marody

To taxi after quarantine of callups: Haas+Chiasson+ Kassian/Kahun

Drai-McDavid-Yama
Benson+Nuge+Pulju
Marody+McLeod-Kassian
Shore-Khaira-Archi

Reactions: The Safe Play

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Not smart enough to acquire a top 9 forward in 2 years of work apparently.
Pretty sure we all thought that was Kahun 30 some odd games ago. I certainly thought he'd be a good top 9 addition. Turns out he wasn't.

Do I wish he'd gotten a real impact forward yesterday? Yes. Did I really think that sort of move happened before the offseason? No. I'll take a guy who has been playing Top 4 duty on a bad team and doing a good job of it though. Maybe if our defense improves it means we won't need to score 5 goals a game.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

On assumption that we are maxed on the cap, here is the additional space as I see it this summer.

Expiring:
Chiasson = -$2.15M
Haas = -$915K
Russell = -$2.75M
4K = -850K
Ennis = -1M
Nygard = -875K
Pouliot = -1.33M
P Russell = -700K

Buyout:
Neal = -3.85M
Koskinen = -3.0M