Speculation: Trade Deadline 2014

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
They might have been better off if they waited until Taresenko, Oshie and Schwartz came into their own before going all in.

I agree with this statement entirely. While they have a good team I do not see the need for them to go all in this year specifically.

They could of waited and maybe brought Jake Allen up next year traded Halak or Elliot for offensive assests.

It may work out and they win a cup but if it doesn't in my mind they set this team back a few years in terms of full development.

They could possibly be without a first round pick three years in a row. But granted, a cup will make it all worth it.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I don't think STL set themselves back at all. I thought they had the deepest pool of prospects in the league? Potentially losing three picks in the #23-30th range is not setting this franchise back at all. Especially with their roster players they can move down the road for picks to make room for their prospects......

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I agree with this statement entirely. While they have a good team I do not see the need for them to go all in this year specifically.

They could of waited and maybe brought Jake Allen up next year traded Halak or Elliot for offensive assests.

It may work out and they win a cup but if it doesn't in my mind they set this team back a few years in terms of full development.

They could possibly be without a first round pick three years in a row. But granted, a cup will make it all worth it.

Not having three first rounders in a row isn't a big deal if those first rounders wouldn't have roster spots to fill anyway. There's no reason to believe (in my opinion) that much of the Blues' roster is going to disappear suddenly in the next few years, and if they do, they can plug holes with free agents who want to play on a good team, but for the most part they have a perfectly viable core for the next few years to go along with quite a few prospects already in the system.

May 27, 2012
Earth
St.louis just has as many Blue chip prospects as us haha. Jaskin, Rattie, Allen, Vannelli. I'm sure St. Louis is over it.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2012
After seeing Buffalo pull the trigger, I'm all like, C'mon, Burkie. Make it happen. Work your magic.

"I don't want to be in a deadline trade, but waiting on the edge of one I can't escape is even worse! Is there any hope, Brian? For Cammy and Stemps?"
"There never was much hope. Just a fool's hope."
"But we have the Mighty Dishevelled Trade Wizard… that's got to count for something."

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
After seeing Buffalo pull the trigger, I'm all like, C'mon, Burkie. Make it happen. Work your magic.

"I don't want to be in a deadline trade, but waiting on the edge of one I can't escape is even worse! Is there any hope, Brian? For Cammy and Stemps?"
"But we have the Mighty Dishevelled Trade Wizard… that's got to count for something."

Just waiting for MarkGio to come here and say "I love Star Trek!" :laugh:

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
I have a bad feeling the Oilers will make the biggest blockbuster trade this deadline.

MacT has been extremely active all year and a part of me thinks the deadline will be no different.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I have a bad feeling the Oilers will make the biggest blockbuster trade this deadline.

MacT has been extremely active all year and a part of me thinks the deadline will be no different.

I'm not so sure about the deadline, I think at the draft we will see Eberle get traded. I do think Hemsky will be dealt this deadline though.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Have to assume Calgary won't be making too many moves until other pieces start to budge. It will take the Vanek/Moulson sweepstakes to get resolved first for Cammy to move probably.

Stemps, Butler and O'Brien might move at the deadline... don't see them moving before then.

I honestly see Calgary involved in a real hockey trade this deadline. Contract for contract as well as UFAs. Probably targetting someone in the 22-25 range.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I think you have the order correct.

Potentially add Butler, and maybe Smid to that list.

In Burke's interview with James Duthie he said that Smid has been one of our best dmen and that it'll be hard to get rid of him. I don't think they're shopping Smid but if they get a good offer then he'll trade. Because Smid is locked up and they traded hood prospects fo him and got another prospect. I think they got him fr a few years, not get him and flip him. I think all of our UFA's over 25 will be traded

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Have to assume Calgary won't be making too many moves until other pieces start to budge. It will take the Vanek/Moulson sweepstakes to get resolved first for Cammy to move probably.

Stemps, Butler and O'Brien might move at the deadline... don't see them moving before then.

I honestly see Calgary involved in a real hockey trade this deadline. Contract for contract as well as UFAs. Probably targetting someone in the 22-25 range.

A lot of targets like that available, Ryan O'Riell and Tyler Myers are available and are possible targets

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

Indiana Jones was a classic. Good call!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Buffalo can't trade all their vets, they need to be cap floor compliant as well. Obviously though impending UFA's are likely targets to be dealt. I'd say our guys most likely to be dealt are Stempniak, Cammy, Butler, Wideman, Hudler and Sven, in that order.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Buffalo can't trade all their vets, they need to be cap floor compliant as well. Obviously though impending UFA's are likely targets to be dealt. I'd say our guys most likely to be dealt are Stempniak, Cammy, Butler, Wideman, Hudler and Sven, in that order.

Yeah its puzzling as to how Buffalo reaches the floor next year

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Sabres need to spend about 20M on 12 players to reach the floor. They'll probably do what the Panthers did a few years ago and overpay a slew of marginal talents to get there. But it's probably too much to hope for that it takes them out of the running for McDavid.

But guys like Stempniak and Butler could do really well this summer.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm gonna feel really bad for Stempniak if he gets dealt. I can't imagine just having 2 twins and there's a real good chance he could be on the move. That would really suck! I wonder if his wife would stay here for the remainder of the year, it would be something to pack up 2 new born twins and move.

Burke really cares about his players, I wonder if there's any chance he wouldn't move him as a personal favour for family reasons.

Last edited:

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
I'm gonna feel ready bad for Stempniak if he gets dealt. I can't imagine just having 2 twins and there's a real good chance he could be on the move. That would really suck! I wonder if his wife would stay here for the remainder of the year, it would be something to pack up 2 new born twins and move.

Burke really cares about his players, I wonder if there's any chance he wouldn't move him as a personal favour for family reasons.

That would be a classy move. Whatever we might get for Stemps (2nd-3rd) is, I think, worth missing out on in this situation.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
That would be a classy move. Whatever we might get for Stemps (2nd-3rd) is, I think, worth missing out on in this situation.

Honestly, he's a guy I wouldn't mind re-signing. You never have to question his effort, and he has underrated skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad