Speculation: Trade Deadline 2014

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's worth noting that Eric Francis guaranteed earlier in the season that Cammy would be gone by the deadline.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Jeff Francis said at the flames game tonight that there is zero chance cammy resigns.

Also it would be fun to speculate what possible deal Burke had that he mentioned in his press conferance, apparently it had us taking on a bad contract and getting a pick for it

I am thinking there maybe have been a deal for Heatley + Pick(s) for Cammy.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
So having slept on it I am ready to give my opinion.

First and foremost, what a terrible market. I mean Penner, Vanek and Moulson got traded for essentially nothing more then a second round pick. As Cammy was considered below them I have to think the price other GMs were willing to pay was just too low. I mean comparatively what would he have gone for, maybe a 3rd and a 4th, and over different years lol. Really just stunned at what the market value was this year.

What doesn't make sense and throws my analysis out of wack is Stemps got a 3rd. Maybe I'm just to harsh on him but ever since he got beat up early in the season I think he has been junk. Getting a 2nd for Reto Berra is pretty nice, and considering Ortio is having a good start to his NHL career I think we won that one pretty easily, not because of Berras ability but because he was a UFA.

All in all I am happy with the 2nd and 3rd pick but I doubt Cammy will resign and that might come back to haunt us. Obviously I'm not an NHL insider so I could be wrong but I just don't understand why he would want to stick around. If we could have gotten a first for him (which obviously wasn't being offered) or a nice prospect I would have been pretty happy with our deadline trading. I really like our prospects and I think next year we can definitely fill the void left by our veterans.

At the end of the day I would say I am pretty happy with the trading that went on from Burke, as he didn't allow himself to be fleeced like some GMs did. The inability to trade Cammalleri could be viewed as a positive especially if he does end up signing an extension. I just hope that Cammy does end up being an asset and just doesn't walk at the end of the season.

Brian Burke (2014) - B

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Bit surprised, Sportsnet article claims Flames were losers at this trade deadline.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-trades/winners-and-losers-on-nhl-deadline-day/

That's why you listen to TSN :laugh:

The more I think about the deadline the more I like it.
Berra for a 2nd is a steal. He's a UFA this summer, 1 regulation win at 27 years old. If he does well now it's because of the Avs. He wasn't in our long term plans. Ramo is short term, Ortio and Gillies are long term, Roy can sneak in.

Considering that Penner got a 4th. He's played on the 1st line this year and has won a couple of cups. Hemsky got a 3rd and 5th and Stempniak got a 3rd. That's nice for a 3rd line UFA

Cammalleri situation was hard. You had to wait until Vanek and Moulson went and they went at 2:59 pretty much. If Burke was offerd a 4th or 5th everyone here tells them to take a hike. 3rd with retained salary isn't what you want. The reputaion is worth more than a late 3rd. Burke probably would've accepted a 2nd so. We have the cap space to re-sign him. We can offer him a lot. He's a leader as well. I think Burke saw what Jay got in the Iggy deal and Burke said no we need to change the reputation, we're not accepting crap for UFA's

If we re-sign Butler than it'd be fine. I'd rather have Butler than Billins. And you need our prospects to develop. Don't wantbto bring them up to early. Burke says Butler's a leader. If we can re-sign him cheap than why not. Although if I got a 3rd I take it. There was a market for depth Dmen. Robidas, Potter, Schultz etc.

I would've liked to become the "banker" like Burke said. Take a bad contract, take picks, make the floor, loose nothing. Burke did say that he had a 3 way deal in place but it fell through at the last minute. I assume it was Burke gets Heatley and picks, Minny gets Moulson BUF gets picks and prospects from MIN. Maybe even Cammy was appart of that but we don't know

Overall: B

If Feaster was here everyone would go bat crap crazy complaining that we didn't move Cammy or we got nothing and one of our UFA's didn't go.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Upon looking back, this trade deadline was screwed right up. Is anyone else thinking collusion? How does a player like Vanek, Gaborik, and Moulson get so little in return when only 12 months ago players like Iginla, Bouwmeester, Morrow,etc. garner 1st round picks and such. In fact, Vanek garnered market value only 4 months ago?!

My skeptism radar is off the charts.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Upon looking back, this trade deadline was screwed right up. Is anyone else thinking collusion? How does a player like Vanek, Gaborik, and Moulson get so little in return when only 12 months ago players like Iginla, Bouwmeester, Morrow,etc. garner 1st round picks and such. In fact, Vanek garnered market value only 4 months ago?!

My skeptism radar is off the charts.

I think what we are seeing is how good top teams truly are and how few teams see themselves going deep. Last year it looked like anyone could win hell the Senators were a AHL team and they made the playoffs. So I think there were a ton of teams buying with a few sellers and prices got crazy as players started to move. This year I think all the East teams (except the bottom 3) were buyers but since its so open they wouldn't risk much so we saw moves like Hemsky etc. Because in the West it looks like there are 5 amazingly dominate who honestly didn't a lot. It just wasn't a market for sellers looking to clean up.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Too many sellers. Buying teams had far too many options which delayed the trades until the very end, as they were constantly looking for the best deals.

Vancouver putting Kesler on the market and the Sens exploring a Spezza trade left teams like the Ducks, Flyers and the Penguins focusing on them, rather than looking at Cammalleri. Then, there was Gaborik, Moulson, Vanek and Hemsky out there who all filled a similar type of role. And of course, the lower salary cap made things a lot harder. But not moving Cammalleri was still a failure.

Just some bad luck all around. Can't imagine how much better it would have been if Burke had been in charge of moving Iginla and more importantly, Bouwmeester.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Too many sellers. Buying teams had far too many options which delayed the trades until the very end, as they were constantly looking for the best deals.

Vancouver putting Kesler on the market and the Sens exploring a Spezza trade left teams like the Ducks, Flyers and the Penguins focusing on them, rather than looking at Cammalleri. Then, there was Gaborik, Moulson, Vanek and Hemsky out there who all filled a similar type of role. And of course, the lower salary cap made things a lot harder. But not moving Cammalleri was still a failure.

Just some bad luck all around. Can't imagine how much better it would have been if Burke had been in charge of moving Iginla and more importantly, Bouwmeester.

I agree, wish he would of been here before. Look at the Smid trade, this man is an ace.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
not only Smid, Berra for a 2nd? We've won almost all of our games when Westgarth is in the lineup. We stole him for a bust/career AHLer, Stempniak for a 3rd in that market. Colborne for 4th.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Shawn Hutcheon ‏@ShawnHutcheon
@JamesStewart81 I've been told Calgary had a 3 way deal fall apart. Bruins approached Calgary about Mike Cammalleri.

Shawn Hutcheon ‏@ShawnHutcheon
#NHLBruins Neely said the deal fell through because the other team could not consummate deal w/3rd team.

Link

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'm not sure how reliable the Fourth Period is so take it for what it's worth:

The Columbus Blue Jackets, Boston Bruins, New Jersey Devils, Anaheim Ducks and Pittsburgh Penguins, among others, expressed an interest in Cammalleri, but the offers did not exceed a third-round draft pick.

"I'd rather take a chance on keeping him here and signing him than giving him away on a terrible deal," Burke said in his post-deadline press conference.

Burke indicated that he felt the market was focused on players like Thomas Vanek and Matt Moulson, and having them dealt so close to the deadline factored into why Cammalleri wasn't moved.

Link

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad