Speculation: Trade Deadline 2014

May 27, 2012
Earth
Sure, but everybody knows Bylsma will only play Sid with Kunitz and Dupuis, even if Dupuis is out for the season. Once he comes back, Kesler would be playing with either Malkin (a fine consolation if not playing with Crosby) or on the 3rd line, IMO.

Kesler alone would make the 3rd line way better than Sutter. If Bennet comes back he will play on 3rd line or push Jokinen down to the third which would make the Pens a pretty good team.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I propose a 7-way deal as follows:

Ryan Miller from Buffalo to NYI
Andrew MacDonald and a 2nd from NYI to Calgary
Mike Cammalleri from Calgary to Tampa
Martin St. Louis from Tampa to NYR
Kris Kreider from NYR to LA
Jake Muzzin from LA to Anaheim
Devante Smith-Pelly from Anaheim to Buffalo

Very creative. A+

May 27, 2012
Earth
Bhly-ZbIAAA1Kme.jpg

brian mcgrattan ‏@bigern10 1m
oldest and youngest guys on the team #duckface @Monahan20 pic.twitter.com/VUSpdX1FGz

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Those guys look like best friends, they always tweet to eachother and take pictures with one another. What an odd combination, resign McGrats until he's retired!

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Those guys look like best friends, they always tweet to eachother and take pictures with one another. What an odd combination, resign McGrats until he's retired!

Can't see Burke not re-upping Gratz after his contract is finished! He provides so much leadership/character/grit to this team!

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Unreal. Buffalo will also get the 2014 1st if Miller Resigns or St.Louis makes the WCF.

Am I the only one that thinks St.Louis got fleeced in that trade..

The Blues could have rode out their tandem of Halak-Elliot at that price and hung on to all those assets. That team is just starting to see all their young players grow I would have hung onto those picks and players and gave it a couple more years before making an all in trade like that.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Am I the only one that thinks St.Louis got fleeced in that trade..

The Blues could have rode out their tandem of Halak-Elliot at that price and hung on to all those assets. That team is just starting to see all their young players grow I would have hung onto those picks and players and gave it a couple more years before making an all in trade like that.

At this point, I think it's great for both teams. The Blues are now favourites for a Stanley Cup, more so now than they have been at any point this season. Buffalo gets a prospect, two picks (potentially another, according to RaginStajan) and assets that will likely be moved at the deadline (Stewart will anyway). It'll sting if the Blues don't win a cup and Miller walks to UFA, but if they win a cup - they got exactly what they wanted. I think initially this trade will be seen as great for both teams, and depending on how things play out in the playoffs and going into the off season, it could swing a little bit to where it favours one team or another (probably Buffalo, if it does).

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I don't trust the halak-Elliot tandem. And if they are gonna go for it go all in, a Stanley cup is worth the cupboard 10 times out of 10.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Blues needed an upgrade in net but they gave up way too much especially when demand wasn't all that high, assuming they make the conference final or re-sign Miller. Two firsts, a player picked in the 2nd round recently, an UFA average starter and a young-ish top six forward for a UFA third liner with intangibles and a quality starting UFA goalie. And if the Sabres trade Stewart and Halak, they'll get a few more picks as well.

Granted, they'll probably set a new record for fewest wins next season if they do. That is, tf they even make the cap floor.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
At this point, I think it's great for both teams. The Blues are now favourites for a Stanley Cup, more so now than they have been at any point this season. Buffalo gets a prospect, two picks (potentially another, according to RaginStajan) and assets that will likely be moved at the deadline (Stewart will anyway). It'll sting if the Blues don't win a cup and Miller walks to UFA, but if they win a cup - they got exactly what they wanted. I think initially this trade will be seen as great for both teams, and depending on how things play out in the playoffs and going into the off season, it could swing a little bit to where it favours one team or another (probably Buffalo, if it does).
Sometimes these things don't work out, as we saw with Pittsburgh last year. But when they do (ie, LA Kings) win you a cup, its at least justified.

I knew the market favored sellers this year. It will only snowball because now every team in the West either makes something happen or rolls over to St. Louis.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Blues needed an upgrade in net but they gave up way too much especially when demand wasn't all that high, assuming they make the conference final or re-sign Miller. Two firsts, a player picked in the 2nd round recently, an UFA average starter and a young-ish top six forward for a UFA third liner with intangibles and a quality starting UFA goalie. And if the Sabres trade Stewart and Halak, they'll get a few more picks as well.

Granted, they'll probably set a new record for fewest wins next season if they do. That is, tf they even make the cap floor.

Not to mention that the Blues gave up last year's first rounder in Poirer. They did resign Bouwmeester so it worked out. But you got to hand it to them for taking the risk. They get an elite goaltender and a well saught-after character winger. They have no holes in their roster right now.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Not to mention that the Blues gave up last year's first rounder in Poirer. They did resign Bouwmeester so it worked out. But you got to hand it to them for taking the risk. They get an elite goaltender and a well saught-after character winger. They have no holes in their roster right now.
I would say they lack elite offensive talent up front. They were getting that from Steen but he cooled off.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Eh, as mentioned, they're missing a top scoring offensive forward. Their number one centre is Backes, who, while terrific, doesn't produce the kind of offense one would want or expect from a number one centre on a cup contending team. They need to add a Krecji to their Bergeron.

They might have been better off if they waited until Taresenko, Oshie and Schwartz came into their own before going all in.

Aug 3, 2010
I would say they lack elite offensive talent up front. They were getting that from Steen but he cooled off.

Outside of Krejci entering his perennial playoff beast mode, one could argue that Boston didn't have that either on their 2010 win.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Eh, as mentioned, they're missing a top scoring offensive forward. Their number one centre is Backes, who, while terrific, doesn't produce the kind of offense one would want or expect from a number one centre on a cup contending team. They need to add a Krecji to their Bergeron.

They might have been better off if they waited until Taresenko, Oshie and Schwartz came into their own before going all in.

Yeah ok, they lack a single player who's a top scoring player. But they are 2nd in goals per game, only behind Chicago. They do it by having probably the deepest forward line-up in the league:

Steen
Backes
Tarasenko
Morrow
Berglund
Oshie
Ott
Roy
Schwartz
Paajarvi
Sobotka
Lapierre
Jaskin

They also have a complete line-up. They have a pest, a power forward, leadership (2 former captains), two way players, and skilled snipers. As well as a mix of youth and experience. Its hard to say they have a hole in their forward line-up IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad