Speculation: Trade Deadline 2014

Sep 12, 2012
Why are people acting like Cammalleri is still a Flame once free agency starts?

I hope Burke values these last 21 games with Mike more than the picks they could have gotten for him.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Anyone else mad at Burke right now, assuming Stemps and Cammy didn't get traded?

I'm wondering if he bit off more than he could chew. He fired his GM and AGM a few months before the deadline, and then maybe he didn't have the resources to deliver on probably the 2nd most important trade deadline for the Flames rebuild

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Why are people acting like Cammalleri is still a Flame once free agency starts?

I hope Burke values these last 21 games with Mike more than the picks they could have gotten for him.

Value the last 21 games? I value where we are in the standings when the draft rankings are being called.

Aug 3, 2010
Anyone else mad at Burke right now, assuming Stemps and Cammy didn't get traded?

Unless you were sitting there with a wire tap on the phone line, why do you "get to be mad"?

You sound more like Feaster than Burke. Feaster would pull the trigger on almost any deal with a bit of tweaking. Burke will hold fast until he sees the deal he can actually work with to provide a real return to the team.

Seriously, some people. Did you not see the laughable returns for Vanek, Hemsky, or Moulson?

It's not even defending Burke. It's this year's pathetically low free-agency market.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Agreed, it blows we didn't get any deals done but we shouldn't handcuff ourselves next year to make up for it.

Exactly. They blew the deadline but there's no need to tie up much needed roster spots on these guys.

I figure we'll be trading UFAs at the draft for minor picks.

New CBA rule that gives teams the week prior to July 1st the opportunity to talk to any upcoming UFA pretty much kills those type of deals.

Trae

Calgary
For everyone saying Hudler should have been traded, his contact isn't expiring we can probably get a solid deal for him in the off season with more patience. Ala Kesler situation.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
This deadline was weird. Especially since Buffalo was able to get so many good assets out of teams during the fall.

You got to wonder in the buyers saw how crazy teams can be in the fall and leading up to the deadline that they maybe all agreed to stick to their guns.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Unless you were sitting there with a wire tap on the phone line, why do you "get to be mad"?

You sound more like Feaster than Burke. Feaster would pull the trigger on almost any deal with a bit of tweaking. Burke will hold fast until he sees the deal he can actually work with to provide a real return to the team.

Seriously, some people. Did you not see the laughable returns for Vanek, Hemsky, or Moulson?

It's not even defending Burke. It's this year's pathetically low free-agency market.

I understand the poor return but why would Cammy resign? Why not get what we can for these free agents.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 1m
Sabres announce Klesla was in the trade too. Halak and a third in 2015 for Neuvirth and Klesla

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Shocker of the day to me was how cheap the price tags on Vanek & Moulson were. No doubt the Islanders hit the panic button when it was lookin' like they weren't gonna get a deal done, but Moulson? He was had for next to nothing. Surprised.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
For everyone saying Hudler should have been traded, his contact isn't expiring we can probably get a solid deal for him in the off season with more patience. Ala Kesler situation.

Correct, hopefully something gets done at the draft.

Aug 3, 2010
I understand the poor return but why would Cammy resign? Why not get what we can for these free agents.

Would you honestly tell me you'd be happy with a 3rd rounder at best, or a b-level prospect? I really wouldn't be.

Look, I've got no crystal ball but anyone can see the Flames can get more out of re-signing Cammalleri or Stempniak to a 1-year deal then trading him this off-season than not. It's possible it happens, and that return is probably going to be better than what mediocre-at-best Burke received today. Worst case scenario is that we'd keep them.

This kind of stuff happens all the time. So does walking as a UFA. But I'd like to believe that Burke understood what was likely going to happen once he heard of Vanek and Moulson's trades.

Burke's favourite term when dealing as a GM is "making a hockey deal." In my mind, that means a mututally beneficial trade where one party don't feel like they're being tasered and left for dead while the other GM scurries off into the night. That hockey deal clearly did not surface so he will have to create his own to the best of his ability.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Not really - the Flames still need to remain somewhat competitive, so trading either of those guys for 3rd round picks (or lower) in a very weak draft doesn't really make a lot of sense, and doing so basically tells the rest of the team "hey you know what? winning doesn't matter right now"

Re-sign one (or both) of them and see how it plays out.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I guess my believe is in the known to the unknown. As in I would rather take the guarantee over what may be, especially given the teams circumstances. I wouldn't be happy with a 3rd, but as opposed to nothing to a 6th-7th?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Exactly. They blew the deadline but there's no need to tie up much needed roster spots on these guys.

New CBA rule that gives teams the week prior to July 1st the opportunity to talk to any upcoming UFA pretty much kills those type of deals.

Yea its a new era and the kids are ready for their chance (really Reinhart and Granlund have little left to prove in the AHL) so to me they should take Stempniak and Cammy's spot.

I think our top 9 wingers entering next year our Hudler, GlenX, Jones, Colborne, Reinhart, Granlund with Sven, Poirier, Klimchuck, JG, 2014 1st all also battling as well I don't see who loses their spot for Cammy to stay.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Gord Miller ‏@GMillerTSN 2m
Nashville traded David Legwand to Detroit for Patrick Eaves, Calle Jarnkrok and a 3rd round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad