Pre-Game Talk: Toronto Maple Leafs @ Boston Bruins - March 25 - Executing the gameplan

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I agree with Mirtly, Kostka for Liles won't make much difference.

This game is all about Lupul/Kadri, and whether they will exploit Chara being matched up against Kessel, and whether they'll force Julien to change the matchup.

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago
I agree with Mirtly, Kostka for Liles won't make much difference.

This game is all about Lupul/Kadri, and whether they will exploit Chara being matched up against Kessel, and whether they'll force Julien to change the matchup.
Gardiner/Kostka were really good together for the Marlies as well, so they are familiar with each other's style.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 48s

Leafs using Kostka instead of Liles is probably a wash. And maybe there's some chemistry there with Gardiner from their time with Marlies.

Mirtle drinking a little this AM.

I don't see why he's wrong. Kostka may lack offense but he is better then Holzer in my opinion. I like Liles but their not much different defensively. Plus the possible chemistry i'm not worried.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Mirtle is out to lunch.

Yup. Difference between Liles and Kostka was night and day (in the top-4).

I wouldn't mind Mike on the bottom-pairing, but obviously that's not happening. Hope he's sharp tomorrow.

I'm not worried about the chemistry, they played well together.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yup. Difference between Liles and Kostka was night and day (in the top-4).

I wouldn't mind Mike on the bottom-pairing, but obviously that's not happening. Hope he's sharp tomorrow.

I'm not worried about the chemistry, they played well together.

Offensively...Kostka sucks.
Defensively, I'd say he's on par with Liles maybe even slightly better.

My problem was mainly Kostka getting 24 mins for the first 10-12 games and 4-5 minutes of the PP just because he put up points in the AHL as a 25+ year old

Everyone here loves Fraser because he's being used in the best role possible...

I saw him hit Lucic along the boards...and I want him signed QUICK!!

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
qs7n9eM.gif

That needs to be combined with...

link_22_bears_can_play_hockey.jpg

Then: Profit!

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
^ I don't see much wrong. Except Seidenberg. Maybe Campbell and Seidenberg should 've swapped places and then Seidenberg closer to the Leafs player that is wide open.

Boston plays a strong defensive game for the most part, and I give them credit for that.

The Leafs scored shortly after; thanks to the wide open guy.

You might need to adjust your idea of strong defense.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Looking for a spark from his team, Coach Julien switched up the lines for practice, with Brad Marchand skating with David Krejci and Nathan Horton, Daniel Paille alongside Patrice Bergeron and Tyler Seguin, and Milan Lucic on a line with Rich Peverley and Jordan Caron.

Following the practice, when asked why he switched up the lines, Coach simply said, "Because I can. Because I'm the coach. And every once in a while, you've got to do those things. Simple as that."
"Well, we've scored six goals in the last four games," he added. "So I think it's time for a shake-up."

Here were the lines and corresponding jerseys:

White: Marchand-Krejci-Horton
Gold: Paille-Bergeron-Seguin
Grey: Lucic-Peverley-Pandolfo
Merlot: Pandolfo/MacDermid-Campbell-Thornton

lucic on the 3rd line hehe

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Looking for a spark from his team, Coach Julien switched up the lines for practice, with Brad Marchand skating with David Krejci and Nathan Horton, Daniel Paille alongside Patrice Bergeron and Tyler Seguin, and Milan Lucic on a line with Rich Peverley and Jordan Caron.

Following the practice, when asked why he switched up the lines, Coach simply said, "Because I can. Because I'm the coach. And every once in a while, you've got to do those things. Simple as that."
"Well, we've scored six goals in the last four games," he added. "So I think it's time for a shake-up."

Yeah the Bruins board has like three threads on the line shakeups.. some want Seguin at C, Bergeron/Marchand should never have been broken up, get MacDermid in the lineup so old man Thornton doesn't have to carry the load all by himself, and the majority over there thinks Lucic should be benched to wake him up.

Oh and everyone hates Pand"awful" - LOL thought that was amusing.

2/4 is already a win for me, so whatever we can get tomorrow is gravy.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

The Bruins had a powder puff easy, rested 1st half schedule, but they've been starting to scuffle ever since their schedule started getting a little more packed like the rest of the league's was in the first half. Bruins are 3-4-0 in their last 7, and 6-5-1 in their last 12. Julien is starting to sweat a bit, I think.

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago
The Bruins had a powder puff easy, rested 1st half schedule, but they've been starting to scuffle ever since their schedule started getting a little more packed like the rest of the league's was in the first half. Bruins are 3-4-0 in their last 7, and 6-5-1 in their last 12. Julien is starting to sweat a bit, I think.
They have very little forward depth outside of the top-6 and with the awful seasons that Horton and Lucic are having, that means very little in the way of scoring goals. They are where they are because of that easy first half plus their defense and goaltending.

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
They have very little forward depth outside of the top-6 and with the awful seasons that Horton and Lucic are having, that means very little in the way of scoring goals. They are where they are because of that easy first half plus their defense and goaltending.

Think they need a pure goal scorer like Kessel. :D

Seriously though it is interesting he might be switching his lines around in relation to what RC is doing. Might be interesting if he plays his best D against Kadri. Kessel might like that. :naughty:

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
On a side note:

How much longer is JVR out for? No,seriously where is he? Once Lupul gets back,Frattin may need some pressbox time to think about things.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yeah for all the crap Bozak gets, JVR's been invisible for a while now.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Yeah, he still screens the goalie but he definitely needs to pick it up or his ice time won't be as good as it is now.

IMO, now is the time to switch up Lupul and JvR.

Who hasn't gotten it going playing with Kadri?

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
JVR is still doing his job placing pressure on the goalie. Hockey's a lot more than scoring. His presence, along with Kessel, is what makes that line legitimate. Don't get me wrong Bozak is a top-six forward, but we can only have one withdrawn on that line.

Kessel has improved significantly defensively, though. Bozak, on the other hand, isn't attempting to assert offensive pressure by shooting a lot more. Kaberle, in fact, is shooting more. He isn't as elite as Kessel so he needs to significantly adjust his game.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
JVR had a stretch where he was playing big and FLYING down the wing. He seems to be skating in circles for the most part these days. Although he has done a great job in front of the net, taking abuse that has led to a few goals for us.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We cant expect the same lineup because Lupul will back from suspension. That will most likely leave Hamilton out again. So we go like:

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Mac-Grabo-Frattin
Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin
Mclaren-Mcclement-Orr

Good call, forgot about Lupul.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
I think Frattin should sit out a game and let Hamilton play. Hopefully being benched lights a fire for him.

Also, I wonder if Chara will still go after Kessel this game. They might change it a little and he might try to be on the ice more when Kadri is there.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I disagree with that, but even so it's a lot better to deserve to lose and win than to deserve to win and lose.

They certainly won't face that type of Goaltending tonight. 13 shots on an even competent Goalie won't get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad