Rumor: Toronto interested in Thornton

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
JT to the Ducks, Ducks win the cup with JT, whats left of my hockey soul dies haha.

In other news,

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
George Bazos, Dan Boyle's agent, says Boyle will let #Isles know by end of this week whether he's interested in starting contract talks.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
JT to the Ducks, Ducks win the cup with JT, whats left of my hockey soul dies haha.

In other news,

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
George Bazos, Dan Boyle's agent, says Boyle will let #Isles know by end of this week whether he's interested in starting contract talks.

If the Ducks win the cup with JT, I'd really want Marleau there too. It would hurt my soul to see only one of them win it. What would be even worse is if JT goes to the Ducks, Marleau goes to let's say the Canadiens and they duke it out during the finals.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
If the Ducks win the Cup with Thornton, Wilson should be fired immediately.

Why?

DW should trade with whichever team gives us the best return, period. If we are rebuilding, then it makes no difference if the Ducks win the cup or the Bruins. We trade with whomever gives us the best assets back that help us going forward. If your sole reason is because you don't like the ducks, that's not a valid reason. I hate the ducks, i'd still trade with them in a second if they were going to send back Lindholm, Gibson, and the 10th OA.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Agreed. The Sharks aren't a serious contender in my mind without Thornton, so why not get the best return possible?

I don't think so. The sharks forward roster would still be comparable to Chicago's and LA's without Thornton. The big difference is the blueline. The blueline will likely take multiple seasons to fix, but if Thornton can help to that effect, it my be worth a trade.

Oppa

#
Oct 31, 2011
I truly believe that the Sharks could contend if they can fix the defense. Throwing Burns back there helps, and Mueller could possibly "wow" us. And if Thornton is traded, I'm hoping there'd be a top 6 replacement. We might not win the pacific, but it can't be worse than what happened in the playoffs.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Agreed. The Sharks aren't a serious contender in my mind without Thornton, so why not get the best return possible?

Yes you get the best return but I disagree that the Sharks aren't contenders w/o JT.
They will do just fine..

I don't think so. The sharks forward roster would still be comparable to Chicago's and LA's without Thornton. The big difference is the blueline. The blueline will likely take multiple seasons to fix, but if Thornton can help to that effect, it my be worth a trade.

I don't think the blueline is that far off. especially since Burns has been moved back.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
I don't think the blueline is that far off. especially since Burns has been moved back.

Look again... If Burns was that good, the Sharks would never have moved him off the blueline.

The Sharks have no one who can compare with Keith or Doughty and really don't compare with those bluelines even without Keith or Doughty.

Edit: John Thornton is making stuff up now. Hockey players care about their team mates and coaches far more than the fans. Joe Thornton may humor the fans, but I don't think he cares that much...

MardocAgain

Apr 10, 2012
I've always like Joe, but I'm fed up now. Win or lose it seems like the pulse of this team is always basically a shoulder shrug. If we take a step back I want to see some players with a little fire in them. And I'm hoping we can get to a point where we don't fall apart spectacularly every time we go down 2-1 in the 3rd period.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Look again... If Burns was that good, the Sharks would never have moved him off the blueline.

I was under the impression that Burns was initially moved to winger because he was dealing with an injury that made it difficult for him to play D at the top of his abilities, and at the same time the team was struggling to get scoring.

In his only full season at D with the Sharks he performed just fine.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009

The Sharks have no one who can compare with Keith or Doughty and really don't compare with those bluelines even without Keith or Doughty.

Edit: John Thornton is making stuff up now. Hockey players care about their team mates and coaches far more than the fans. Joe Thornton may humor the fans, but I don't think he cares that much...

Burns being good or not had no bearing on his move to PF.(His D #'s were pretty good). Sharks had NOTHING on the offensive side and needed a spark,change,something,anything. Burns filled that role beautifully. I still think it is a mistake taking Burns off the PF position. Between trades and UFA/RFA we could still field a solid defensive team and leave Burns at PF, where we now have a gaping hole.

As for comparing Burns skills to Drew or Duncan, I'd say Burns is the better skater but both those players(D & D) have had excellent teammates during their career and played D their whole life(Burns converted to a Dman.) So they should be alittle better knowledge-wise/playing wise at the position. But to say BB cant hang with those 2 is being abit over-the-top imo. Burns being mired in Minnesota for 5yrs didn't help his stats.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
I was under the impression that Burns was initially moved to winger because he was dealing with an injury that made it difficult for him to play D at the top of his abilities, and at the same time the team was struggling to get scoring.

In his only full season at D with the Sharks he performed just fine.

yup. winner!

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
As for comparing Burns skills to Drew or Duncan, I'd say Burns is the better skater but both those players(D & D) have had excellent teammates during their career and played D their whole life(Burns converted to a Dman.) So they should be alittle better knowledge-wise/playing wise at the position. But to say BB cant hang with those 2 is being abit over-the-top imo. Burns being mired in Minnesota for 5yrs didn't help his stats.

Burns being in Minny didn't help his possession or scoring stats. But his goals against stats were aided by the team. Hyper defensive team during his time there.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Why?

DW should trade with whichever team gives us the best return, period. If we are rebuilding, then it makes no difference if the Ducks win the cup or the Bruins. We trade with whomever gives us the best assets back that help us going forward. If your sole reason is because you don't like the ducks, that's not a valid reason. I hate the ducks, i'd still trade with them in a second if they were going to send back Lindholm, Gibson, and the 10th OA.

If you trade Thornton, you're saying you can't win the Cup with this guy. Trading him within the division on top of that? You might as well point to center field and call your shot. Just say it. "Joe Thornton cannot and will not win a Cup. I'm am so confident with this opinion that I will trade him within the division." For Thornton to go somewhere else and immediately win, it would just show how wrong our gm is in his ability to evaluate what it takes to win it all.

If the Ducks give us the best package, that's fine. If you guys want to tank, fine but I don't support that. This is quite possibly the closest we'll ever get to the Cup and I don't want to throw that away so the guy who thought Burish, Handzus, Wallin & Stuart were the missing pieces to a championship team can try to rebuild.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
If you trade Thornton, you're saying you can't win the Cup with this guy. Trading him within the division on top of that? You might as well point to center field and call your shot. Just say it. "Joe Thornton cannot and will not win a Cup. I'm am so confident with this opinion that I will trade him within the division." For Thornton to go somewhere else and immediately win, it would just show how wrong our gm is in his ability to evaluate what it takes to win it all.

If the Ducks give us the best package, that's fine. If you guys want to tank, fine but I don't support that. This is quite possibly the closest we'll ever get to the Cup and I don't want to throw that away so the guy who thought Burish, Handzus, Wallin & Stuart were the missing pieces to a championship team can try to rebuild.

None of that is true. Lot's of passengers have won cups, it's fairly common. It's extremely rare for a passenger to lead a team to a cup though. Thornton on the Ducks is potentially going to be dragged to a cup by superior players (Getzlaf) and play as a complimentary piece.

We don't have any players who can overshadow Thornton like that. That makes all the difference in the world. Just because Thornton wins a cup with the Ducks doesn't mean he ever would have with us. In fact, if we had a player of Getzlaf, or Toews, or Crosby, or Kopitar's ability I would happily keep Joe around in a supporting role. Without that player though, Joe is the de-facto leader of this team, no matter what. Since we can't trade for a player of that caliber, and we won't develop one in time, keeping JT around just isn't productive.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Why?

Because the GOAL is to WIN the cup not trade your best player to a rival team and have them win it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad