Rumor: Toronto interested in Thornton

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Toronto must love our captains

If we got an Owen Nolan-esque deal out of Thornton, it would be to the team's benefit. A serviceable player, a good prospect, and a 1st round pick.

I think a comparable trade given that Thornton is a more valuable player overall would be either Gardiner or Kadri, Connor Brown, and their 1st round pick preferably in 2015 but either likely would suffice.

That said, I don't see Joe going to Toronto.

BCShark

Feb 21, 2007
id like kadri in sj. i dont watch t.o. a whole lot, is kadri still considered lazy?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The pic of him in a leafs sweater just looked too damn real. In addition, there have been Thornton to Toronto rumors for what, 8 years now?

Kadri isn't lazy but he is bad defensively. However if he was sheltered I think he could do fantastic in a reduced role. Having him would make Pavelski expendable as well.

Gardiner and Kadri are both fantastic young players who are in an awful situation in Toronto. I'm very high on both players and would love to see either one in teal. Gardiner is the exact type of player I want to look at regardless of what direction we're going in. If we had him instead of Irwin/Stuart/Hannan on the left side of Braun this year I think we would've beat LA

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Article thinks Phaneuf? Bleh. I was honestly thinking the Leafs might be a good fit as far as needs but I'd much rather have a deal around Gardiner and maybe another piece or two, heck maybe add to make it bigger so we could get Kadri too as we'd need another center. Hopefully DW is smarter than thinking Phaneuf is the answer. Go young, go talented!

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Not half as lazy as the Toronto media makes him out be.

Nah he's pretty lazy. Its partly why he struggles defensively. Defense can be learned but the player has to want to learn it. He's skilled offensively but I'm not about to pump his tires. He is overwhelmed on the boards, doesn't back check very hard and isn't good away from the puck. Those are just a few of his fixable issues but he needs to want to fix them and commit to it. Toronto is a team that doesn't have anyone to instill that type of work ethic besides maybe Jay McClement or Nik Kulemin. Kadri would probably flourish under TMac and J.J. but he's definitely the type that needs a kick in the ass opposed to a pat on the back.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not sure what Leaf player based assets I'd want. I don't want Dion P or any of their NHL defense. Perhaps a,1st round pick this year and a high end prospect.

Gardiner or Rielly are precisely the kind of defensemen this team needs.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Since Torronto is absolutely terrible at maintaining possession, Thornton would help tremendously.

If somehow the Sharks could wrangle Carl Gunnarson and put him in a role he could actually succeed in, I'd be happy. The big Challenge here would be the a salary coming back to the Sharks. I seriously doubt the leafs would give up both Gunnarson and Kadri...

Edit, also I'm not sure Thornton would want to waive for TO.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Nah he's pretty lazy. Its partly why he struggles defensively. Defense can be learned but the player has to want to learn it. He's skilled offensively but I'm not about to pump his tires. He is overwhelmed on the boards, doesn't back check very hard and isn't good away from the puck. Those are just a few of his fixable issues but he needs to want to fix them and commit to it. Toronto is a team that doesn't have anyone to instill that type of work ethic besides maybe Jay McClement or Nik Kulemin. Kadri would probably flourish under TMac and J.J. but he's definitely the type that needs a kick in the ass opposed to a pat on the back.

He doesn't have a top tier work ethic, but a lot his lazy reputation has been fabricated by the media.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Not necessarily players Toronto will trade or ones Thornton could get by himself, but I certainly wouldn't mind any of:

Kessel
JVR
Gardiner
Reily

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Kadri is a good player...but he needs to be better defensively. If you are going to be a top-player in this league (where Kadri is trending from what I know), you at least need to be decent defensively. IMO, TMac would not stand for any center-not-named-JT on his team being less-than-excellent defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad