Rumor: Toronto interested in Thornton

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I'd actually be intrigued in buying low on Versteeg. Remember Justin Williams, at 27 was beset by injuries and was a buy low by the Kings. That's turned out well... Not to suggest the two are the same but it's low risk for a guy at $2.2m.

Versteeg, Shaw, Leddy and 2015 1st for Desjardins and Thornton?

(Sure, I'd prefer Hjalmarsson but doubt he's available.)

The more I think about it, the more I would be against a trade like that.

None of those assets is likely to be a core piece going forwards. The 2015 pick is going to be late. Leddy is a #3-4 guy. Shaw is similar to Tommy Wingels.

TT on the other hand, is exactly the kind of asset who could be a core piece going forwards. The Sharks got a first, Alyn McCauley, and Brad Boyes for Owen Nolan. I'd look to get a first, Leddy, and TT for Thornton. Especially if the Sharks eat salary or take Bickell's contract.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area

None of those assets is likely to be a core piece going forwards. The 2015 pick is going to be late. Leddy is a #3-4 guy. Shaw is similar to Tommy Wingels.

TT on the other hand, is exactly the kind of asset who could be a core piece going forwards. The Sharks got a first, Alyn McCauley, and Brad Boyes for Owen Nolan. I'd look to get a first, Leddy, and TT for Thornton. Especially if the Sharks eat salary or take Bickell's contract.

If we can get TT, I'd prefer him. I'd still take on Versteeg over Bickell. Heck, maybe both. Hawks will need to dump cap once they acquire Thornton, Kesler or Spezza anyhow.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'd much rather get one serious asset like Teravainen than a bunch of smaller pieces, but I'm not sure if Thornton would return that.

Teravainen might be ideal for us because we wouldn't have to wait for him to transition to center. He could play RW with us.

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
I'd much rather get one serious asset like Teravainen than a bunch of smaller pieces, but I'm not sure if Thornton would return that.

Teravainen might be ideal for us because we wouldn't have to wait for him to transition to center. He could play RW with us.

We'd still have to take a cap dump or two even if TT is the highlight of the trade.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Teravainen is not going to be traded. And while I like Hjalmarsson, they already have Vlasic who is the same style and they have Mueller coming up who is likely to be the same kind as well. They need a puck-mover and an offensive contributor on that side going forward. Leddy is the guy to go after from Chicago and then whatever is the best assortment of picks, prospects, and young players you can get at that point.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Teravainen is not going to be traded. And while I like Hjalmarsson, they already have Vlasic who is the same style and they have Mueller coming up who is likely to be the same kind as well. They need a puck-mover and an offensive contributor on that side going forward. Leddy is the guy to go after from Chicago and then whatever is the best assortment of picks, prospects, and young players you can get at that point.

I bet you TT is available for the right price. Chicago needs a #2 C badly and Jumbo would be perfect for them. I would love to see him on the Hawks as well. They would become immediate favorites for the Cup as well.

Rickety Cricket

Mar 8, 2006
Not Kent Huskins
I bet you TT is available for the right price. Chicago needs a #2 C badly and Jumbo would be perfect for them. I would love to see him on the Hawks as well. They would become immediate favorites for the Cup as well.
While I think they are downgrades from Thornton the Hawks could go after Kesler or Spezza and not give up TT. Either of those two would probably solve their #2C problem.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
While I think they are downgrades from Thornton the Hawks could go after Kesler or Spezza and not give up TT. Either of those two would probably solve their #2C problem.

Kesler and Spezza are massive downgrades from Thornton. Spezza is basically just Thornton with no defensive capabilities at all and will just leave after one year. Kesler is no guarantee with health and his game has been steadily declining.

Rickety Cricket

Mar 8, 2006
Not Kent Huskins
Kesler and Spezza are massive downgrades from Thornton. Spezza is basically just Thornton with no defensive capabilities at all and will just leave after one year. Kesler is no guarantee with health and his game has been steadily declining.

Sure but it's not like they need someone of Thornton's abilities to win. They won the cup last year and were an OT period away from returning to the SCF with Handzus playing big minutes. They could get a lesser player like Kesler or Spezza and achieve their goals without having to part with a prospect like TT. Kesler and Spezza are big upgrades over Handzus.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If we're trading Joe Thornton, I want futures plain and simple. I don't want a 27 year old. We are not contending without Joe Thornton, so we may as well get young players.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
What young players are the Blackhawks willing to give up? I highly doubt they'll give up Teravainen. Saad is probably not going anywhere.

Leddy as the main piece of a Thornton trade just doesn't seem like enough in my opinion even though he's a top four defenseman.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
If we're trading Joe Thornton, I want futures plain and simple. I don't want a 27 year old. We are not contending without Joe Thornton, so we may as well get young players.

Yeah I agree. At least then we'd have 5 years to find out if it was the worst trade since the last time Thornton was traded.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011

I don't think there is enough salary there. I seriously doubt the Hawks would allow the Sharks have both Tuevo and Hjalmarsson and I'd rather have Hjalmarsson.

The alternative could be Tuevo, Leddy, and Bickell. That, would be it, I think...

I still think Hjalmarsson and Versteeg is much more likely. Add a pick if it makes the trade easier to swallow.

Look the center piece of the proposal above is clearly Hjalmarsson. He is a proven defensemen who is right around the same age as Vlasic and Braun (the guys the Sharks want to build around)

Last edited:

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
I don't think there is enough salary there. I seriously doubt the Hawks would allow the Sharks have both Tuevo and Hjalmarsson and I'd rather have Hjalmarsson.

The alternative could be Tuevo, Leddy, and Bickell. That, would be it, I think...

Much rather have that Tuevo, Leddy, Bickell package then Hjalmarsson. If we trade Thornton then we aren't contending anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad