Rumor: Toronto interested in Thornton

Winky

Jun 17, 2008
I would much rather retain half the salary for Joe and get a ton from the Blackhawks hopefully something like Leddy + TT/Saad.

Hawks fans have already stated they feel that is an unrealistic return to expect.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I would much rather retain half the salary for Joe and get a ton from the Blackhawks hopefully something like Leddy + TT/Saad.

This was kinda agreed on in the offseason thread with Blackhawswincup.

Leddy + Kruger + Morin+Versteeg and a pick for Thornton+2nd (With Sharks retaining small % of cap like 15-20%)

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
This was kinda agreed on in the offseason thread with Blackhawswincup.

Leddy + Kruger + Morin+Versteeg and a pick for Thornton+2nd (With Sharks retaining small % of cap like 15-20%)

Would much rather have TT/Saad than Kruger Morin and a pick. Saad is already amazing and I think the world of TT.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Would much rather have TT/Saad than Kruger Morin and a pick. Saad is already amazing and I think the world of TT.

Eh it's some pretty good gets either way. It's kinda quality for quantity but it's not like they suck. Would really shore up the depth kinda like the Nash trade did for columbus. Plus TT and Saad are pretty much untouchables.

Hypothetically:
Marleau-Couture-Nieto
Wingels-Pavelski-Hertl
Torres-Kruger-Versteeg
Sheppard-Desjardins-Kennedy

I guess Morin could probably get in there but he basically turns into our best forward prospect right away.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
We should pretty much try to make sure that we retain salary for Thornton. We have so much cap space left and the teams he would put over the top aren't the ones that have a lot of cap space.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
We should pretty much try to make sure that we retain salary for Thornton. We have so much cap space left and the teams he would put over the top aren't the ones that have a lot of cap space.

Problem is that Hasso still has to shell out the dollars. Since the Sharks might be planning on not making the playoffs, that may not be an option.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I still think Vlasic, Burns, Bruan, and Demers are a respectable top 4. But I agree that Stuart, Hannan, and Irwin (the last two I like at $1M though) are "expendable", but they are valuable 6th/7th dmen. The Sharks only need one more top-4 guy (Gardiner) in order to look very solid IMO. Tennyson also needs a bounce back year. He could make Irwin expendable next year and eventually step into a 2nd pairing role if all goes well. I haven't seen Tennyson much, but his style reminds me of Shattenkirk when he was first coming up.

Tennyson plays the right side, so I doubt he gets a shot unless Demers is moved for Gardiner.

Vlasic - Burns
Gardiner - Braun
Irwin/Mueller - Tennyson

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Apparently Spezza has asked to be moved, he has one year left at 7M. Would he be a good match in teal? I just don't know his game...

I'm thinking Spezza ++ for Jumbo.

If Wiercoch is the plus, maybe. Or Cowen.

Marleau - Couture - Nieto
Pavelski - Spezza -
Torres - Hertl - Wingels
4th line

Vlasic - Burns
Wiercoch - Braun
Irwin/Mueller - Demers

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Problem is that Hasso still has to shell out the dollars. Since the Sharks might be planning on not making the playoffs, that may not be an option.

It's definitely an option, and, if he chooses to retain salary on Thornton, it makes it a lot more likely that we get a second trade chip for him, and one that can help now.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
If Pierre is right the return for Thornton will likely be Hjlmarsson and Versteeg. That would be the return that would make sense.

The Sharks desperately need Hjlmarsson for obvious reasons and Versteeg could at least temporarily replace Havlat.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
If Pierre is right the return for Thornton will likely be Hjlmarsson and Versteeg. That would be the return that would make sense.

The Sharks desperately need Hjlmarsson for obvious reasons and Versteeg could at least temporarily replace Havlat.

Temporarily replace his awful contract. Versteeg would be scratched just as much, if not more than Havlat was as a Shark.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

UHG, that would be terrible. Versteeg has negative value. Hjalmarsson is fine, but we really need a more offensive D-man.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Temporarily replace his awful contract. Versteeg would be scratched just as much, if not more than Havlat was as a Shark.

I think you are overestimating the Sharks depth at RW especially with Burns back at D. I think Versteeg would do quite well in San Jose. The Sharks may even be able to extend him. I'm not sure how the RSA would work...

Hockeyball: Ye of no faith in Demers, Burns, and Braun? Hjlamarrsson would be an excellent acquisition and he would help the offense by neutralizing the opposing forecheck

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I think you are overestimating the Sharks depth at RW especially with Burns back at D. I think Versteeg would do quite well in San Jose. The Sharks may even be able to extend him

Regardless, the Sharks have made it quite clearly they are not 'going for it' next season. Hjalmarsson is fine, but Versteeg does nothing for us now, or in the future. You are basically trading one of the best centers in the game for a #3 d-man and a negative asset.

I'd be pissed.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
I think you are overestimating the Sharks depth at RW especially with Burns back at D. I think Versteeg would do quite well in San Jose. The Sharks may even be able to extend him. I'm not sure how the RSA would work...

Hockeyball: Ye of no faith in Demers, Burns, and Braun? Hjlamarrsson would be an excellent acquisition and he would help the offense by neutralizing the opposing forecheck

I think you're overestimating Versteeg. He's been a black hole the last 3 seasons and his past PO performance was laughable.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Regardless, the Sharks have made it quite clearly they are not 'going for it' next season. Hjalmarsson is fine, but Versteeg does nothing for us now, or in the future. You are basically trading one of the best centers in the game for a #3 d-man and a negative asset.

I'd be pissed.

I don't think he is a negative asset at all. Versteeg is only what 28... I think he can potentially help in the future and if not the Sharks can just trade him later

Hertl my pickels: It all depends on the role. In Versteegs last three playoffs he has a total 24 point in 33 games...

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I don't think he is a negative asset at all. Versteeg is only what 28... I think he can potentially help in the future and if not the Sharks can just trade him later

The Hawks would trade him for a bag of pucks and be thrilled, what does that tell you? He's not just worthless, he's beyond worthless. I want nothing to do with him, period, for free.

Hjalmarsson isn't going to help the offense, he's going to help the defense, which was already top-5 in the league. Great, I'd love to have him, but as we are not contending next season then we should be trading our success now for our success later, that's how it works. Versteeg is garbage, you are basically trading for a more overpaid version of Tyler Kennedy.

If they want to offer up Hjalmarsson, Shaw and a 1st, my ears are open.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Is versteeg that bad these days? I haven't been paying attention. Didnt he used to be a decently useful winger?

In a third line role, he scored 29 points in 63 games for Chicago. Which is fairly respectable when considering the role.

Hockeyball: He is an RSA acquisition. He only costs the Hawks 2.2 million

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I'd be pissed.

I am hoping for a re-build as well but there is no way we can say that is what is going to happen. It really depends on which of the 'big' guys DW ends up trading and if the return is really picks/prospects or actually roster players. If they are unable to trade any of the big pieces OR if the return of the pieces are established (and older) roster players, then what option do we have other than going for it.

Also, I agree with that trade. Hjalmarsson is good return but we would need an additional pick/prospect with it. Not a negative contract like Versteeg.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
I am hoping for a re-build as well but there is no way we can say that is what is going to happen. It really depends on which of the 'big' guys DW ends up trading and if the return is really picks/prospects or actually roster players. If they are unable to trade any of the big pieces OR if the return of the pieces are established (and older) roster players, then what option do we have other than going for it.

Also, I agree with that trade. Hjalmarsson is good return but we would need an additional pick/prospect with it. Not a negative contract like Versteeg.
Ok, perhaps Chicago would add a pick

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

Regardless of the trades, its undeniable the signals Wilson is sending.

1) He clearly doesn't think this team was/is good enough, he's said so himself at length. He's not going to go into next season with the same roster and expect to win a cup.

2) He has 100% ruled out trading ANY of our valuable futures (Hertl, Nieto, Couture, Pavelski, Braun, Vlasic, Mueller, 1sts). When you are a 'step away' from the cup, you trade your future assets to get 'over the hump'. That's what you do, the Sharks have ruled out trading any of the players that could accomplish that. Short of a miracle trade dropping in his lap, the Sharks do not have enough trade equity available to improve.

3) He has left Thornton's name out of every single discussion he's had thus far, and he's been talking far more than usual. Not a mention of his name, barely any mention of Marleau's. He's going on and on at length about Couture, Pavelski, Hertl, Nieto... hell he's even talking up Stalock and Brown, but not one word about Thornton.

4) He's made numerous comments alluding to a captaincy change, again without even mentioning Thornton by name.

5) He's used the word 'rebuild' twice so far when questioned. GM's don't use the word 'rebuild' when they are contending. They do what Wilson did the previous seasons and say things like "retool and refresh". He used to say "We are not rebuilding, we are refreshing". Now he's saying "we are rebuilding". The definition of the word didn't suddenly change, he changed his strategy after a dismal failure by a group he has clearly lost faith in.

Wilson is very, very deliberate about what he says and does. He is rebuilding this team, whether he can trade Thornton or not, he's going to do the best he can to rebuild. If he can trade Thornton, it will be a shorter rebuild, if he can't, this is going to be more painful. But either way, the Sharks window is shut, they are just trying to reopen it again as soon as possible and for as long as possible.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
The Hawks would trade him for a bag of pucks and be thrilled, what does that tell you? He's not just worthless, he's beyond worthless. I want nothing to do with him, period, for free.

Hjalmarsson isn't going to help the offense, he's going to help the defense, which was already top-5 in the league. Great, I'd love to have him, but as we are not contending next season then we should be trading our success now for our success later, that's how it works. Versteeg is garbage, you are basically trading for a more overpaid version of Tyler Kennedy.

If they want to offer up Hjalmarsson, Shaw and a 1st, my ears are open.

I'd actually be intrigued in buying low on Versteeg. Remember Justin Williams, at 27 was beset by injuries and was a buy low by the Kings. That's turned out well... Not to suggest the two are the same but it's low risk for a guy at $2.2m.

Versteeg, Shaw, Leddy and 2015 1st for Desjardins and Thornton?

(Sure, I'd prefer Hjalmarsson but doubt he's available.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad