Rumor: Toronto interested in Thornton

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Much rather have that Tuevo, Leddy, Bickell package then Hjalmarsson. If we trade Thornton then we aren't contending anymore.

Yeah, the Sharks can contend without Thornton. They might drop to sixth place... If they can't, the Shark want to be able to contend with Vlasic still on the team. Hjalmarsson is right about the same age.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Yeah, the Sharks can contend without Thornton. They might drop to sixth place... If they can't, the Shark want to be able to contend with Vlasic still on the team. Hjalmarsson is right about the same age.

As pointed out earlier, more isn't necessarily better. Hammer is another Vlasic. That is not denigrating Hammer either. And then they have Mueller. They need something more like a Yandle on the left side (think Gardiner or Josi as well). The Sharks already are in trouble for neglecting speed in the mix for forwards. Size is great but without speed, it goes nowhere.

I agree that trading JT may not take them out of the playoffs, but it is very unlikely that they contend without him. They might be a bubble team. They have the whole team playing a JT like game which is possession with limited clean entries. Changing that style is going to increase the hit to standings points more than the trade itself. And DW has already pointed to the team moving more in the direction of a speed game.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
So what does this topic have to do with Toronto? I swear the same conversations are on 3 threads right now.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
While I like Hjalmarsson and Leddy, the Sharks need more size on defense. If you are trading for another defenseman, target someone that is 6'2 and 220lbs.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
While I like Hjalmarsson and Leddy, the Sharks need more size on defense. If you are trading for another defenseman, target someone that is 6'2 and 220lbs.

Brad Stuart: 6'2, 215 lbs
Scott Hannan: 6'1, 215 lbs
Matt Irwin: 6'2, 210 lbs

All 3 of these are just under the bill by either 10 lbs or 1 inch, hardly a relevant difference, and they al suck. We need good hockey players, not guys with size. Gardiner, Yandle, Josi, Leddy, all are good options. I'm sure there are also plenty of other options that have hockey IQ and mobility. That's what we need more of. Not old guys who can't skate and are just heavy.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
As long as they can skate and move the puck. I'm envious of the Kings young dmen - Muzzin, Martinez, Doughty all have good size and can move the puck.

That and they just put Burns back there so that pretty much helps that out. Size wasn't their issue. Moving the puck was.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Kesler and Spezza are massive downgrades from Thornton. Spezza is basically just Thornton with no defensive capabilities at all and will just leave after one year. Kesler is no guarantee with health and his game has been steadily declining.

Thornton would be great but if Hawks could get Kesler they would pull that trade

Easier cap hit to handle and he has played with Kane before

Sharp-Toews-Hossa
Saad-Kesler-Kane

ANybody know what happened to Steeger this season? I think injuries, right?

Tore ACL last year ,,, Rushed back to early and had issues with it all year

Never got conditioning back (Thus why he looked a little slow skating for Hawks this year)

+ Once he got into a funk with Hawks he never pulled himself out of it playing mostly depth role with occasional top 6 spot duty

Hawk fans expect him back even though we don't want him ,, Bowman and Hawks sound like they are chalking up his struggles to knee and loss of confidence playing thru it

What young players are the Blackhawks willing to give up? I highly doubt they'll give up Teravainen. Saad is probably not going anywhere.

Leddy as the main piece of a Thornton trade just doesn't seem like enough in my opinion even though he's a top four defenseman.

Leddy and Morin from NHL roster

In system probably would be anyone not named Teravainen , Hartman or Johns (3 most important prospects for Hawks IMO)

So guys like

C/W Joakim Nordstrom (3rd round 2010)
C/RW Mark McNeill (18th overall in 2011)
C/LW Phillip Danault (26th overall in 2011)
D Adam Clendening (2nd round 2011)

And other guys in system

Also could acquire rights to Kevin Hayes (2010 24th overall) and see if you have luck signing him (Wont sign with Hawks it appears). Would get 54th pick in 2015 draft if unable to sign him

- Hayes is believed to have not been fan of Hawks trading his brother
- And watching his brother unable to crack Hawks lineup has kid looking for place he could quickly jump to NHL role and not be in battle with a bunch of other prospects

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad