Player Discussion Torey Krug III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I think it’s more about marketability, need and potential return.

A case can be made that McAvoy and Grzelcyk can make up for his offense as they further mature over the next few years.

More importantly, as Cam said, they’d like to get bigger/stronger/heavier on the left side. It’s reasonable to think that Krug could be the chip that allows them to do that.

It’s just a matter of finding the right trade partner and target.

This is it exactly. I think most posters who advocate trading Krug actually like Krug. That's my case. I just don't feel comfortable with smaller Dmen when things get amped up in the PO's . This doesn't mean I don't recognize what Krug brings. Simply didn't like what I saw in the PO's. I think Krug can bring a handsome return and it should at least be explored. If not you keep him . Nobody is calling for a fire sale, there are some teams that could greatly benefit from a guy like Krug (the Oilers off the top of my head) if you want him you, pay for him.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I'm gonna disagree totally.

Krug and Chara are your top paid d-men at 5 mill or so each.

Mcquaids cap hit at 2.5 or 2.75 as a bottom pairing guy who can fill in on the top 4 for injuries is not the problem.

I doubt its realistic to drop Krug down to your 4th or 5th best d-man at 5 mill a year. What are you paying those guys ahead of him?

You have McAvoy and Carlo still on their entry level deals. I've been saying ever since McAvoy broke out in the fall they have a rare opportunity to have a beefy blueline that goes 6-7 deep. Enjoy it for one more year because when those two get paid, it's going to be a lot more difficult to build a formidable blueline. I also believe both Krug and Miller are underpaid for what they bring and the minutes they can play. If Grzlyck continues along this path, he will be too.

McQuaid is a luxury. An expensive one. He's clearly the 4th best RHD. When you draw up the starting 6 D on paper for next fall, he's not in it. If you're a team looking to find cap space for improvements, that's where you would ideally make cuts.

I also think there's a log jam of prospects with value that wont last forever.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
You have McAvoy and Carlo still on their entry level deals. I've been saying ever since McAvoy broke out in the fall they have a rare opportunity to have a beefy blueline that goes 6-7 deep. Enjoy it for one more year because when those two get paid, it's going to be a lot more difficult to build a formidable blueline. I also believe both Krug and Miller are underpaid for what they bring and the minutes they can play. If Grzlyck continues along this path, he will be too.

McQuaid is a luxury. An expensive one. He's clearly the 4th best RHD. When you draw up the starting 6 D on paper for next fall, he's not in it. If you're a team looking to find cap space for improvements, that's where you would ideally make cuts.

I also think there's a log jam of prospects with value that wont last forever.

Sorry but i still don't see it.

Chara and krug are both at 5+ mill or so.

Charas year to year so after next season if he's still playing and stays hopefully that numbers coming down when Mcavoys looking for a new deal.

Plus it really is time to start planning for his replacement.

And i dont see Krug or miller anywhere near underpaid.

Carlo should not even come close to breaking the bank. All this love for his skating and passing has translated to 16 and 10 point seasons. (With zero playoff experience). Hi second deal should be more than reasonable. Carlo isn't (or shouldn't) be getting paid on his next contract.

Same with Gryz. His second deal should be easy to absorb. He hasnt shown that he's remotely close to anything special.

Mcquaids in the last year of his deal (actual money is 2 mill) the extra .75 mill on the cap is like the one crushed cherio in the box... it really doesn't matter.

And I'd say he's the third best right handed D on the team... mcavoy carlo mcquaid. And he's good insurance for injury. Not a luxary at all.

That logjam of d-prospects.... from what I've read they arent showing that anyone on the current roster should be worried.

After this year they have some choices to make.

But i think they have options as well.

And i'd roll the dice on dealing krug if its that oilers pick people are speculating about if eveyone is really that high on gryz and the other kids. But i dont see it if its next year and the year after that people are looking at for the cup.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Edit: to add to the krug trade/don't trade... fir me it comes down to money. Id rather move Krejci or Backes cap.....

But what Krug does bring is that attitude and will to win witch I've harped on before, so to try to be honest and fair i cant leave that out.

Put his attitude and drive into Carlo.... that would awesome.

This team seems to lack some of that.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Edit: to add to the krug trade/don't trade... fir me it comes down to money. Id rather move Krejci or Backes cap.....

But what Krug does bring is that attitude and will to win witch I've harped on before, so to try to be honest and fair i cant leave that out.

Put his attitude and drive into Carlo.... that would awesome.

This team seems to lack some of that.

Is there something wrong with Carlo's attitude/drive?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
When you watch him and krug play do you see the sane thing? (And i don't mean just skill wise)

No but I think that's the style of play that differs between the two players. I've never been one to question any player's attitude/drive. At least, I try not to. Since I'm not them and you can't take much away from just watching a player. It's like when people call Rask lazy or whatever. How does anyone know?

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
No but I think that's the style of play that differs between the two players. I've never been one to question any player's attitude/drive. At least, I try not to. Since I'm not them and you can't take much away from just watching a player. It's like when people call Rask lazy or whatever. How does anyone know?

Let me rephrase.

Krug gets involved, gets into scrums, gets into peoples faces, plays with a bit of an attitude at times, is 'feisty, steps up into big plays.

As a firward i'd compare thar attitude to pasta.

Carlo is more like a Heinen.

'Cerebral'. I've compared Carlo to a modern day Hal Gill before.

Not a bad thing. Gill had a long career.

Quietly effective. Solid. Stable. But not exactly a difference maker.

Edit: its not a criticism of him. But it goes back to the comment i was responding to talking about him getting paid.

Last edited:

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Sorry but i still don't see it.

Chara and krug are both at 5+ mill or so.

Charas year to year so after next season if he's still playing and stays hopefully that numbers coming down when Mcavoys looking for a new deal.

Plus it really is time to start planning for his replacement.

And i dont see Krug or miller anywhere near underpaid.

Carlo should not even come close to breaking the bank. All this love for his skating and passing has translated to 16 and 10 point seasons. (With zero playoff experience). Hi second deal should be more than reasonable. Carlo isn't (or shouldn't) be getting paid on his next contract.

Same with Gryz. His second deal should be easy to absorb. He hasnt shown that he's remotely close to anything special.

Mcquaids in the last year of his deal (actual money is 2 mill) the extra .75 mill on the cap is like the one crushed cherio in the box... it really doesn't matter.

And I'd say he's the third best right handed D on the team... mcavoy carlo mcquaid. And he's good insurance for injury. Not a luxary at all.

That logjam of d-prospects.... from what I've read they arent showing that anyone on the current roster should be worried.

After this year they have some choices to make.

But i think they have options as well.

And i'd roll the dice on dealing krug if its that oilers pick people are speculating about if eveyone is really that high on gryz and the other kids. But i dont see it if its next year and the year after that people are looking at for the cup.

Look at the Bruins blueline salary structure compared to the rest of the competitive cap teams around the league. On paper, their top-4 defenseman have cap hit of under 12 million combined (pre-bonus). They should be allocating more to that area. Would also eliminate the desperate attempts to upgrade the D at every trade deadline. Go into the season with 5 (or even 6) defenseman legitimately capable of playing in your top-4 (I think Miller/Krug are more than capable).

There's a reason Kevan Miller averaged around 19-21 minutes/game in the regular season + playoffs and McQuaid was in 12-15 range. Even if you think he's better, move Miller. No need for a $2.5-3M/per 7th defenseman. Move on from one.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Look at the Bruins blueline salary structure compared to the rest of the competitive cap teams around the league. On paper, their top-4 defenseman have cap hit of under 12 million combined (pre-bonus). They should be allocating more to that area. Would also eliminate the desperate attempts to upgrade the D at every trade deadline. Go into the season with 5 (or even 6) defenseman legitimately capable of playing in your top-4 (I think Miller/Krug are more than capable).

There's a reason Kevan Miller averaged around 19-21 minutes/game in the regular season + playoffs and McQuaid was in 12-15 range. Even if you think he's better, move Miller. No need for a $2.5-3M/per 7th defenseman. Move on from one.

Cap structure and where the money is going is a big part of it.

Krejci Backes Rask... a lot of money there.

Young forwards coming up....

Realistically if you move Krug its because a kid is equal and pushes him out. Doubt thats happening.

If you trade him for an 'upgrade' its gonna cost more and probably be a higher cap hit.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Remember when the Bruins D consisted of Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Miller, McQuaid?

Now THAT'S something that just won't fly - 5 plodding defencemen. Yet no one here said a peep about that, even though it contributed to us struggling against quick teams like the Habs. Now as soon as we have 2 agile but small defencemen in the lineup, people won't shut up about it. Get your priorities straight.

Reactions: Dr Hook

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Let me rephrase.

Krug gets involved, gets into scrums, gets into peoples faces, plays with a bit of an attitude at times, is 'feisty, steps up into big plays.

Edit: its not a criticism of him. But it goes back to the comment i was responding to talking about him getting paid.

Gil can dream about being half of what Carlo is on his worst day, come on.

Reactions: Strafer

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Let me rephrase.

Carlo isn’t a difference maker? Did you see the state of the defense in the regular season compared to the playoffs? When Carlo went down the defense after Chara and McAvoy was awful 5v5. Carlo was the last line of defense and the safety net for this team. Yes he is obviously not flashy in the offensive zone but he’s solid as heck defending and is great with his positioning.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Gil can dream about being half of what Carlo is on his worst day, come on.

Different players in different eras. Carlo is clearly a better skater and able to handle the puck better.

But in Gill's prime during the clutch-and-grab era he was a tremendously effective defensive D-man.

Hopefully Carlo ends up playing 1200 NHL games like Gill did.

Reactions: JOKER 192

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Different players in different eras. Carlo is clearly a better skater and able to handle the puck better.

But in Gill's prime during the clutch-and-grab era he was a tremendously effective defensive D-man.

Hopefully Carlo ends up playing 1200 NHL games like Gill did.

Exactly my point.

Big men who played small and were quietly effective.

Certainly worse things to be.

And Carlo is still only in his second year.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Remember when the Bruins D consisted of Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Miller, McQuaid?

Now THAT'S something that just won't fly - 5 plodding defencemen. Yet no one here said a peep about that, even though it contributed to us struggling against quick teams like the Habs. Now as soon as we have 2 agile but small defencemen in the lineup, people won't shut up about it. Get your priorities straight.
Those 2 agile defenders got ran out of the building against a not overly physical Tampa team. To be fair, one of them was in his first playoff run. The other doesn’t get that pass any longer.

Being bigger doesn’t mean being slow and unskilled. I hate that line of thinking.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Those 2 agile defenders got ran out of the building against a not overly physical Tampa team. To be fair, one of them was in his first playoff run. The other doesn’t get that pass any longer.

Being bigger doesn’t mean being slow and unskilled. I hate that line of thinking.

It wasn't just those two defenseman. The whole team sucked.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

This x 1,000,000. McAvoy is big & strong but he's also fast & skilled. The problem is it is a hard combination to find.

Playoff hockey is different- much more intense and much more physical than regular season hockey. Krug & Gryz got exposed because of their lack of size, not lack of skill, hockey sense or guts.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Carlo was showing a lot more snarl at the end of the season, he really improved in that department IMO.

Yes he did. It was great to see, and hopefully that continues come next season. It's small changes like that, that really can help. He became harder to play against. I think part of it is Carlo being young and just not knowing how strong he is and how adding some physicality/nasty will help his game.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
This x 1,000,000. McAvoy is big & strong but he's also fast & skilled. The problem is it is a hard combination to find.

Playoff hockey is different- much more intense and much more physical than regular season hockey. Krug & Gryz got exposed because of their lack of size, not lack of skill, hockey sense or guts.

It was tough on them for sure, but that is where the team needs to address it and protect them better. If you want what Krug and Grizz bring to the table: vision, passing, good breakouts, offensive zone skills, then you have to make allowances for their shortcomings (pun maybe intended :laugh:). Pairing them with a big and mobile d partner is one thing, and I think the Bruins have tried that where personnel have allowed, but it also has to be asking more from their forwards on the defensive end.

Reactions: missingchicklet

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I dont mind Krug but I think he should be no higher than a 5 or 6 defenseman.
I like McAvoy Chara and Carlo having top4 minutes especially in the playoffs. We have to go out and get another LH defenseman that can play in the top 4. Krug was obviously exposed in the playoffs. Gryz as well. Krug- Miller -McQuiad and Gryz are all 3rd pairing guys.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017

Ya for sure it’s hard to find that combo.

I don’t want to sound like I’m raging on Krug or Gryz either. I just can’t see how they can continue with that left side D the way it is. Defensively they are both 3rd pairing guys.

Truthfully, they need a first pairing guy on that side the most. Tough to find though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad