Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
If you trade Krug + prospect for Klefbom and 2018 10th pick

Klefbom, Chara, Grz can do the job on the left side for next season

the real potential for this D core comes in 2019 offseason where there are several quality UFA Ds available . McDonagh, OEL, Doughty for example

If Klefbom can stay healthy lol

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I wouldn't fret about losing Riley Nash who, as a UFA will cost more than the Bruins are willing to spend.

Bergeron and Krejci , if he stays, are quite capable of mentoring a young prospect, be it Donato or Karlsson, who already gave considerable pro experience.

The bottom line is, Riley Nash takes away developing mins away from Donato, JFK, Frederic etc.

So if you have Krejci + Nash = eat up development time for a younger 3C

If Krejci was not in the lineup, having Rick Nash would be ok

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That isn’t necessarily true. Hanifin is a pending RFA and with his age and pedigree he’d be looking at a deal higher than Krug’s AAV and with more term. Given they are committed to Slavin now they could easily view Krug as an offensive upgrade on Hanifin who will cost them less and give them walk away potential in a few years. So they could easily take him back in a Hanifin deal if the other pieces are attractive. Prospects, picks, whatever.

I'll be surprised if Hanifin got a deal that had a much higher AAV than Krug's $5.25M. Slavin and Pesce have both been better than Hanifin and signed for $5.3M and $4.025M respectively. The more term thing would be a good thing for the Canes as if they made this trade, they'd either have to pay Krug >> than his current AAV to keep him OR they'd lose him.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Krug is also a below average defender....did we watch the same playoffs run? Leafs and Tampa exposed him

Bruins dont' have the kind of depth, to cover for his shortcomings

The concentration needs to be on the playoffs

I think almost everyone on the blueline looked "exposed" in the playoffs.

I just don't understand the logic. Why do you have to trade Krug to upgrade the back end? He's probably quite easily the 3rd best defenseman on the team, shortcomings included. Shouldn't the goal to be make him your 4th or 5th best defenseman?

In an ideal world, you get that top-4 LHD they've been talking about the last two off-seasons and deadline. Bump everyone down a peg. Even Chara, who I think also gets exposed in another sense.

McQuaid and his 10 minutes/night of playoff hockey for $2.8M is the exposed player you aggressively look to ship out in hopes of an upgrade. Krug and his 20 minutes a night + 71 points in 87 games (reg season and playoffs), should be looked at like a piece of the puzzle.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I just don't understand the logic. Why do you have to trade Krug to upgrade the back end? He's probably quite easily the 3rd best defenseman on the team, shortcomings included. Shouldn't the goal to be make him your 4th or 5th best defenseman?

In an ideal world, you get that top-4 LHD they've been talking about the last two off-seasons and deadline. Bump everyone down a peg. Even Chara, who I think also gets exposed in another sense.

McQuaid and his 10 minutes/night of playoff hockey for $2.8M is the exposed player you aggressively look to ship out in hopes of an upgrade. Krug and his 20 minutes a night + 71 points in 87 games (reg season and playoffs), should be looked at like a piece of the puzzle.

It is a tough debate. Krug is by a HUGE margin the most valuable tradeable piece the Bruins have on their roster. (Let's assume Pasta is not available) What he brings to the table is highly valued around the league, and his contract is actually a bargain for what he brings to the table.

On the other hand, what Krug brings is almost irreplaceable to the Bruins, and Moving him would create a major hole on the team.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
It is a tough debate. Krug is by a HUGE margin the most valuable tradeable piece the Bruins have on their roster. (Let's assume Pasta is not available) What he brings to the table is highly valued around the league, and his contract is actually a bargain for what he brings to the table.

On the other hand, what Krug brings is almost irreplaceable to the Bruins, and Moving him would create a major hole on the team.

Moving Krug would open the door for McAvoy to play on the number one PP unit and he'd be dynamite. He should of gotten more of an opportunity last yr the kids a stud and ups his play in big moments.

I'm not in favor of moving Krug but you have to give to get and Krug does have a modified no-trade clause that kicks in on July 1.

Reactions: BMC

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I myself think Noah Hanifin will cost too much prospects and picks

I`m not always quick to move prospects or picks but that was before I saw this team actually focus their attention on both and be set up quite well with prospects. I know they don`t have a 1st rounder this year but not sure about other picks, think they have a 2nd pick in the 3rd round from Vatrano move but can`t be sure.

Anyways, this team has some solid prospects from all I have read from those whose opinions I really respect here. Long believed prospects are valuable for two reasons: 1- draft, develop then promote internally with hopes that pick goes onto having a solid career for your team or 2- use that prospect as a piece to acquire a need.

Barely 2-3 years ago, this organization had little in way of prospects to use in negotiations in order to potentially sweeten a deal IMO, that`s not the case now

Reactions: BiGBear8

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If Krug weren’t a Bruin can you imagine what people would be willing to give up to get him? It would be off the charts

Oh yeah, we'd see all kinds of over the top suggestions- multiple picks and prospects, definitely Danton Heinen would be included :laugh:. He would be exactly what we needed on the blue line. Of course, we have him and know he isn't perfect, so he's a liability. I'd prefer to keep him, but if I am no opposed to a move IF the return is right. I'd like to see Grizz and Charlie and perhaps one of the younger LHD in Prov. see if they can come close to replacing his offense, especially on the PP, before we do that. UNLESS- the return is a LHD who can make up at least some of the lost production and provide better defense and probably something else on top of that.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

I'm gonna disagree totally.

Krug and Chara are your top paid d-men at 5 mill or so each.

Mcquaids cap hit at 2.5 or 2.75 as a bottom pairing guy who can fill in on the top 4 for injuries is not the problem.

I doubt its realistic to drop Krug down to your 4th or 5th best d-man at 5 mill a year. What are you paying those guys ahead of him?

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Krug was certainly not impressive defensively in the playoffs, but a certain amount of that had to do with Carlo being out. That had a big impact on the overall defense. Also, it cannot be overlooked that McAvoy struggled in his own zone more than I thought he would, and Chara by the end of the playoffs looked cooked. In other words, Krug was not the only defensive player struggling in his own zone. I look at Krug as being a very similar player as Carlson, but better. Their numbers this season were eerily similar. Krug gets a bit of an edge defensively, and he is also better at moving the puck. Carlson has looked better defensively this playoffs than he actually is simply due to those players around him performing better than usual. Anyone who has watched this guy consistently knows that he is prone to fairly frequent defensive lapses, and can be a real fumbler in the Ozone, but on the whole he is a solid asset offensively. He has had a very nice playoffs this season, and is a pretty good playoff player. But so is Krug, on the whole. 12 points in 11 playoff games and a 9.1% shot pct for Krug this playoffs was very important offensively.

Players such as Carlson and Krug have their warts, but those warts are severely diminished when you look at what they bring to the table offensively. It's just a matter of building the pairings in an effective manner and hoping the team doesn't become decimated with injuries that screw up the pairings. It'll be interesting to see what kind of deal Carlson gets this summer. I suspect he is going to get paid a lot. He is a year older than Krug and not as talented in any of the zones. If the Bs do decide to trade Krug they better be getting a damn good return and be able to fill the hole that will be left offensively (McAvoy and Gryz I love, but neither player has shown they can replace Krug offensively). Some of the fans and folks in the media have come to take Krug way too much for granted.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I agree, still unsure how this guy garners so much criticism here

East target. Small defenseman who isn't great in his own end. Just a shame they ignore how good he is offensively. People need to accept that defenseman, unless they're #1-2, are going to have weaknesses in their game. I just don't buy that Krug's weakness on the defensive side of the puck is enough where he's not a top 4 guy.

Offense = Elite
Defense = Average

When you have a shutdown defenseman who is good-elite defensively, but terrible offensively, he's still considered a T4D. Hell, Carlo is just that. I just fail to understand how the opposite of that isn't viewed as a T4D by the majority.

Reactions: BadBruins

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I'm gonna disagree totally.

Krug and Chara are your top paid d-men at 5 mill or so each.

Mcquaids cap hit at 2.5 or 2.75 as a bottom pairing guy who can fill in on the top 4 for injuries is not the problem.

I doubt its realistic to drop Krug down to your 4th or 5th best d-man at 5 mill a year. What are you paying those guys ahead of him?

I think we can consider Chara a $6.75M guy. The bonuses are probably easily attainable.

I think it makes a lot of sense to explore options for Krug. If they don’t find the right deal, keeping him is a more than fine consolation prize.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I agree, still unsure how this guy garners so much criticism here

I think it’s more about marketability, need and potential return.

A case can be made that McAvoy and Grzelcyk can make up for his offense as they further mature over the next few years.

More importantly, as Cam said, they’d like to get bigger/stronger/heavier on the left side. It’s reasonable to think that Krug could be the chip that allows them to do that.

It’s just a matter of finding the right trade partner and target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad