Player Discussion Torey Krug III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I dont mind Krug but I think he should be no higher than a 5 or 6 defenseman.
I like McAvoy Chara and Carlo having top4 minutes especially in the playoffs. We have to go out and get another LH defenseman that can play in the top 4. Krug was obviously exposed in the playoffs. Gryz as well. Krug- Miller -McQuiad and Gryz are all 3rd pairing guys.

:laugh:

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I dont mind Krug but I think he should be no higher than a 5 or 6 defenseman.
I like McAvoy Chara and Carlo having top4 minutes especially in the playoffs. We have to go out and get another LH defenseman that can play in the top 4. Krug was obviously exposed in the playoffs. Gryz as well. Krug- Miller -McQuiad and Gryz are all 3rd pairing guys.

What teams in the NHL would Krug be a 3rd pairing defenseman on? Tampa Bay and Nashville are the first two that come to mind. I'll go out on a limb and say that Krug is a top 4 defenseman on the majority of the teams in the NHL. If he's on your 3rd pairing, that's a serious luxury.

Reactions: Chief Nine

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
What teams in the NHL would Krug be a 3rd pairing defenseman on? Tampa Bay and Nashville are the first two that come to mind. I'll go out on a limb and say that Krug is a top 4 defenseman on the majority of the teams in the NHL. If he's on your 3rd pairing, that's a serious luxury.

I think Krug is an anomaly.

He scores like a 1/2, is paid like a 3/4 but defends like a 5/6.

What that makes him in any given lineup depends on the rest of your blue line.

His value on the PP and when the team is down a goal late in a game is sky high.

His value when protecting a lead, killing a penalty and when the play gets more physical in the playoffs, is very low.

I’m not saying he isn’t tough, BTW. It’s just that most players have limitations and his size prevents him from being as well rounded as this team needs right now.

With that being said, if they were to find a legit 2/3 for the left side, Krug becomes a luxury as the third pair LD.

If not, his limitations will likely continue to be exposed.

Last edited:

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
First team I thought of was Winnipeg. Him and Enstrom could swap jerseys. No one would know!

I don’t think it’s such a bad thing if Krug is your 3rd pair guy. I do think it’s not a great thing if you have to play Chara the final 3 minutes of a hockey game because you can’t rely on the other two LD’s to be consistent in their own ends

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
First team I thought of was Winnipeg. Him and Enstrom could swap jerseys. No one would know!

I don’t think it’s such a bad thing if Krug is your 3rd pair guy. I do think it’s not a great thing if you have to play Chara the final 3 minutes of a hockey game because you can’t rely on the other two LD’s to be consistent in their own ends

"nobody would know"???? I`d know and Bruin fans would know. If I`m GM of a team and I have two options to choose from , Krug or Enstrom, not even a moment of hesitation which one I`d take and I`ll wager most GM`s in this league would choose the same

I get the feeling that Sweeney is a big Krug fan

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
"nobody would know"???? I`d know and Bruin fans would know. If I`m GM of a team and I have two options to choose from , Krug or Enstrom, not even a moment of hesitation which one I`d take and I`ll wager most GM`s in this league would choose the same

I get the feeling that Sweeney is a big Krug fan
Just a height joke man. Should’ve used the sarcasm font!

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I think Krug is an anomaly.

He scores like a 1/2, is paid like a 3/4 but defends like a 5/6.

What that makes him in any given lineup depends on the rest of your blue line.

His value on the PP and when the team is down a goal late in a game is sky high.

His value when protecting a lead, killing a penalty and when the play gets more physical in the playoffs, is very low.

I’m not saying he isn’t tough, BTW. It’s just that most players have limitations and his size prevents him from being as well rounded as this team needs right now.

With that being said, if they were to find a legit 2/3 for the left side, Krug becomes a luxury as the third pair LD.

If not, his limitations will likely continue to be exposed.

congrats, you just described every PMD in hockey.

Yandle, OEL, Wideman, Shattenkirk, Klingberg, Faulk, Sergachev, Bouwmeester.

All are weapons on the PP and offensively and average at best defensively. If they were great defensively, they'd be stud #1s instead like Subban, Josi, Keith, Doughty

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

All are weapons on the PP and offensively and average at best defensively. If they were great defensively, they'd be stud #1s instead like Subban, Josi, Keith, Doughty

That's a pretty mixed bag of players there, which tells me you've seen very few of them play enough to even assess their abilities.

Reactions: NoregreB

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
with varying levels of effectiveness, they all fit the same bill.

Actually they don't.

Some of them do (Wideman, Shattenkirk for example).

Sergachev is a 19-year old rookie who will very likely be a very good all-around D-man when he hits his prime.

OEL is a legit No.1 D who can play at both ends of the ice.

Bouwmeester is a extremely solid defensive player, his offense has never caught up despite his skating and passing ability.

A bunch of different players and skill-sets there. Which once again tells me you've seen very little of most of them.

Reactions: NoregreB

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Except every one of them is better defensively than Krug, with the possible exception of the 19 year old Sergachev and several are paid more.

Otherwise, you're spot on...they are all hockey players, considered PMD's.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Except every one of them is better defensively than Krug, with the possible exception of the 19 year old Sergachev and several are paid more.

Otherwise, you're spot on...they are all hockey players, considered PMD's.

no, no they arent.

and on the flip side, Krug is better offensively than all of them.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
This team if we get a legit top 2 left handed dman.
I like krug. But he is not a top 4 defensive defenseman.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
That's your opinion.

In my opinion, Krug is weak defensively with a penchant for being terrible for long stretches of time.

And a big liability in todays speedy nhl

If a coach is smart you dump it to Krugs way everytime. Forcheck him hard. Peg the bruins in their zone

Yet Cassidy has to play Krug lots of min to help firepower the Bergeron line.... its medine and poison at the same time

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

[/B]If a coach is smart you dump it to Krugs way everytime. Forcheck him hard. Peg the bruins in their zone

Yet Cassidy has to play Krug lots of min to help firepower the Bergeron line.... its medine and poison at the same time

Which is exactly what Tampa Bay did to him and to Gryz & very effectively.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
You're right, he's not. He's a top 4 offensive defenseman.

Krug and Miller as a third pairing would be the best for this team.

If we can get a solid #1 guy to play with McAvoy. McDonagh wouldve been a great guy for this spot. Instead of Nash move.
You can have Chara play with Carlo on the 2nd pair.

Reactions: JP Nolan

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

If a coach is smart you dump it to Krugs way everytime. Forcheck him hard. Peg the bruins in their zone

And to think those guys needed Krugs "firepower" lol. Krug is as good as gone if the Oilers pony up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad