Confirmed Trade: [TOR/CBJ/SJS] N. Foligno (75% retained), S. Noesen to TOR; '21 1st and '22 4th to CBJ; '21 4th to SJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Just remember...Boston doesn't fret over the value they gave Kaberle. LA isn't worried about that Schenn+Simmonds trade. Etc etc

Hope the GM added the right mix and , "overpaid" , "bad value" comments hold no weight, when the big shiney thing is being paraded around the city.

It's time to go for it. Should be fun.

Reactions: uncleben

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Dubas wanted Foligno, and simply paid the required price.

Foligno is a great fit on this team, didn’t come cheap but should help greatly

Reactions: uncleben

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
I'm of the opinion that it's absurd to trade a 1st round pick for bottom 6 forwards, but all of that goes away if you give up 31st overall and he does well on the road there.
Do you mean the 32nd overall? Seattle will be drafting.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
12d5bd2017.png

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Carter is expected to be an offensive guy, Foligno hasn’t and doesn’t need to be that

Carter is second only to Kopitar on LA’s PK - which is among the best in the league.

This is you’ guys thread. I would have been happy getting Foligno also, if the price was more in line with what has happened in most other deals. Not slagging Nick.

Just pointing out that Carter in fact is doing quite alright playing on the second line of a terrible team going nowhere.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I've said this elsewhere, but the trade is growing on me pretty quickly. I particularly like the message it sends to our young group that we feel we've got a good shot in the playoffs. Foligno is a better fit on this team than the other options which may or may not have been available. I think we've seen the value of insulating our core with experienced veterans like Marleau, Thornton, and Spezza. The bonus with Foligno is that he can play higher up in the lineup and brings some defensive accountability to boot.

No doubt Columbus did very well here too. Trade makes a lot of sense for both parties.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I've said this elsewhere, but the trade is growing on me pretty quickly. I particularly like the message it sends to our young group that we feel we've got a good shot in the playoffs. Foligno is a better fit on this team than the other options which may or may not have been available. I think we've seen the value of insulating our core with experienced veterans like Marleau, Thornton, and Spezza. The bonus with Foligno is that he can play higher up in the lineup and brings some defensive accountability to boot.

No doubt Columbus did very well here too. Trade makes a lot of sense for both parties.
Kudos to Leafs management to use their spending power to help their team. They traded for Nash to get LTIR money and help Columbus get rid of his contract only to take Foligno off their hands for draft picks. I don't remember if Nash's insurance was fully covered and that's why Columbus got rid of him, doesn't matter either way. Dubas needs to get another D so we'll see what happens, but it should make for an interesting 1st round matchup with the Canadiens (it will be interesting to see if Price can pull his inner Patrick Roy and stonewall the Leafs offence)

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Dubas seems to make some good signings and aquisitions but he seems to overpay on every transaction whether its a trade or rfa. Wont hurt the team on the short term but....

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Overpay but with the easiest road to the final 4 in the playoffs that the Leafs will have in a long time (avoiding TB, FLA, BOS, CAR, etc.) I feel like it's a good move that will hopefully take our team up another notch. Although I can say for the 1st time in the Matthews era that I will actually be upset if we don't make it at least to the North Division finals. The team is too good to flop against this division.

McMoMoney29

Aug 18, 2014
God watching trade centre you would think Leafs got a Crosby level player nevertheless a guy with 16 points hah

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
When I saw this trade I thought the cost was too high.

Learning more and seeing they really didnt want to move him is some explanation to the extra cost, as is the retention.

In the end though I look at everyone traded yesterday and did not see anyone move with his combination of intangibles and defensive skill. We needed everything he brings both on and off the ice. His family links to the team make it even sweeter. So we paid the price. I can live with it.

it would be even easier to swallow if we keep him which seem possible. I don't think he gets another 5 mil deal and we almost certainly lose Kerfoot this summer so it's doable.

Let's do this and see how it goes. We can lament the cost more fairly when we know the final result. If we get out of the North, easily worth it.

Reactions: Petrus

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
It's more possible than if he were traded to just about any other team, but we're all still pretty sure it's far more likely he comes back to Columbus.

yeah his kids are there etc, really doubt he wants to move them to another country in a pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad