Speculation: Too many "ifs" next season should make Toronto struggle make the playoffs

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
People tend to make the mistake of always picking the same teams to make it. Personally I think the Devils are in trouble to make the playoffs again. I like the look of Florida, not just to make the playoffs, but to contend for the division. They missed the playoffs because of the disaster of the expansion draft.
The Leafs though are in very, very good shape unlike a team like the Devils.
Ottawa also is much better than they showed last year. I am not sold as many are that it'll be Boston/Tampa 1-2 again.
The Pens might just find themselves in a fight for the playoffs. Same with washington.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Besides the Panthers who I can't see as much of a threat to the Leafs, the Atlantic also has the Sabres, Red Wings, Senators and Canadiens. I can't see any of them being in contention for a top 3 spot in the division.

It's June.... Let's say Montreal signs Tavares, drafts Kotkamiemi who comes in and stands on his head, Price stands on his head, Weber plays like Weber of old. They pick up another D player.... you never know... It's June and predicting who will have a strong team, or get lucky is a fools game at this point.

Reactions: Rob Brown

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's June.... Let's say Montreal signs Tavares, drafts Kotkamiemi who comes in and stands on his head, Price stands on his head, Weber plays like Weber of old. They pick up another D player.... you never know... It's June and predicting who will have a strong team, or get lucky is a fools game at this point.
The thing is Montreal hasn't been playing that well for a lot longer than just this past season. I know they made the playoffs in 2017, however a major reason for that was them starting like 9-0-0. For the rest of that remaining season they didn't look like a playoff team and if wasn't for that start they would have been fighting with the Leafs that year for the Wild Card or miss the playoffs completely.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The thing is Montreal hasn't been playing that well for a lot longer than just this past season. I know they made the playoffs in 2017, however a major reason for that was them starting like 9-0-0. For the rest of that remaining season they didn't look like a playoff team and if wasn't for that start they would have been fighting with the Leafs that year for the Wild Card or miss the playoffs completely.

That's true, but then Ottawa makes the Semi Finals the year before... things aren't all that predictable.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Many fans seem to have little concern about the roster next season. I think many fans think that most of the UFA holes will be filled with graduating Marlies.

Polak, JVR, Moore, Bozak, Plekanec, and Komarov potentially all gone.

That's a grand total of 6 players to replace.

I know many of you can name off every Marlie plus Leivo and I still wouldn't be satisfied.

On paper the current team plus Polak, JVR, Moore, Bozak, Plekanec, and Komarov means 2nd or 3rd in the Atlantic. This current team plus all the "ifs" means no playoffs or possibly a wildcard spot.

The "ifs" are from a positive fans' perspective: if we trade for a D, if we find a couple of centers to replace the 3 that we lost, if the Marlies play well as NHLers, if Nylander plays center, if our elite prospects take a step, if no other Atlantic conference team takes a step, etc.

I just can't see us hitting a homerun with free agency, contracts, trades, and our Marlie Graduates creating a better team next year.

IMHO leaf fans can't be comfortable with this offseason, and I really can't see TOR to be better than a wildcard team.

Do you think TOR will be better next season? How so?

You know what those Leafs UFA's don't have? Speed. Speed kills in today's NHL, and I'm excited to see the Leafs use their wheels to chase down the puck and create offense.
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Brown- X - Johnsson
Leivo- Aaltonen- Kapanen

Minus Leivo, who is not a great skater, that's a highly skilled, fast lineup.

I think the biggest hole to fill would be Bozak quite honestly. I know JVR scores alot of goals, but he is generally weak in the D zone. I mean the guy has 65 goals the past 2 years and is still a minus player. Filling the 3C spot for Bozak will be very important. Maybe Bozie will take a nice hometown discount. Probably not. But there are some cheaper options as UFA centremen who might fill a bttom six role for us.

Riley Nash
Jay Beagle
Mark Letestu
Val Filppula
I don't see any of those guys commanding much more than 3 mil a season, and they can all be had on shorter term deals. I think you see the Leafs goals for go down this season, but goals against will also drop. The Leafs will battle for the division with Tampa and Boston again. They will finally win a playoff series. That's my prediciton for 2018-19.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
any team but detroit and buffalo can take a spot from them

The Senators look like they’re organizationally heading towards collapse - Karlsson seems likely to walk, and there players seem to be in open rebellion against ownership. Florida is still a mess with terrible management. And Detorit is clearly lacking in star power and looks to be on the downward spiral. With the Habs, there remain questions about their two star players health, theyve got questionable depth, and lack of centres.

While sure, anything can happen, on paper the Leafs are On paper early better than any team in the division other than Tampa/Boston.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I got your point, you're like the fear mongering media and you are dead wrong.

Opinions are not facts. You need to understand that.

You are like a sheep in wolves' clothing.

You want the Leafs to draft, develop, and give every opportunity to a developing AHL player (based on a Calder Cup appearance). You think an extra second round draft pick is more important than players like Plekanec and Boyle (2 pretty good NHL careers).
To you drafting is more important than air, water, and food.

Most importantly you are a defender of the faith. Suggesting Dubas sign UFAs and make trades is heresy.

It's ok all your gamer buddies on HFBoards still appreciate your opinion.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Their (certainly Boston) core players are also getting older and heading into age ranges where decline is pretty noticeable.

I mean Chara is going to be 42 next season
They have great young players like drbrusk donato bjork mcavoy etc and aren't losing key depth guys like we are. I don't think this year was a flash in the pan or anything for them.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Boston has some core players who may never play as good again. Don't assume Bergeron/Chara/Marchand are as good next season.
It's gonna be hard not to. Those guys are elite players and are surrounded by great young players that are only gonna get better.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
That's not that important compared to what the leafs are losing.

Really? Seems pretty damn comparable to me with the exception of JVR, who is obviously better than Rick Nash...

JVR >> Rick Nash
Riley >= Bozak
Wingels > Komarov
Holden >= Polak
Schaller > Moore

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Really? Seems pretty damn comparable to me with the except of JVR, who is obviously better than Rick Nash...
The only notable guy that they are losing is Nash (Riley) but he is easily replaceable in the organization. The other guys are meh depth guys

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The only notable guy that they are losing is Nash (Riley) but he is easily replaceable in the organization. The other guys are meh depth guys

I'd say both Nash's produce enough offense that they are losing something with both (at least in the regular season). Although, I guess they didn't get Rick until the deadline, but still.

The rest may be meh depth guys who are easily replaceable within the system... but that's the exact same thing as us...

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I'd say both Nash's produce enough offense that they are losing something with both (at least in the regular season). Although, I guess they didn't get Rick until the deadline, but still.

The rest may be meh depth guys who are easily replaceable within the system... but that's the exact same thing as us...
Rick only played like 20 games with the bruins and when they acquired him they were already a great team. Also, I don't trust Babcock with how he deploys our young guys. Cassidy will let them play where as Babcock will most likely shelter them.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I might be the only one saying its good to see these guys leave.. It is time but what was poor was not trading JVR at deadline!

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
I like how the long list of departing players includes the 4th line C for the first half of the year, the 4th line C for the second half of the year, the 4th line winger who ended up a playoff scratch and the Leafs worst dman.

The discussion really is "Can the Leafs lose 2/3 of their sheltered scoring line without taking a step back?"... not that the Leafs are losing a handful of replacement players.

Reactions: Boutette

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad