Player Discussion Tim Stützle - L̶W̶/C - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nova Stutzlia

Oct 23, 2021
If last season and early-on this season is an indication of anything, Stutzle is an athlete who gets better and more into game shape as the season gets going.

No matter how hard you train in the off-season, there is no better way to getting acclimated to game pace & rhythm than actually playing the games and Timmy might be that kinda player.

Yes, I've been wondering that too.
Although there were extenuating circumstances in both of his 1st 2 seasons that might lead to a slow start.
But perhaps he is that type of player, as is ADC, apparently.

Reactions: Pinto Bean

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Awful game last night yet somehow ends up with two points. And everyone is crowing about his points. This season, is it possible he hurts the team more than helps it?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Awful game last night yet somehow ends up with two points. And everyone is crowing about his points. This season, is it possible he hurts the team more than helps it?
It might, but I went into the season with the expectation that we'll be drafting around 14-18 and felt confident with the potential going forward with that in mind, just because we had a terrible stretch that looks like it probably ruined any hope of playoffs early doesn't change that, I'm still pretty confident in the pieces we have.

Right now I'm hopeful we can re-sign DeBrincat to a fair deal, and solidify the D, either through internal development of JBD and Thomson or through trades. To do that, I think we need to give the players reason to believe in the future, that means getting back to having a more competitive record, and likely will require a new coach hire once onweship chages

Reactions: xVolchenkov

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
He's still a kid and he's making an impact like no one else from his draft class is.

It's a little more fair to compare him against his contemporaries than the entire league at age 20.
Ya, I think that's fair. Its a learning process for him, just like it is for most young players. He's learning what works. I think simplifying his game and going more with high percentage stuff will help him.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Basically top 6? Considering there’s 192 top 6 slots. I’d say it’s a bit more than that.
3 top line players on 32 teams makes 96 top line forwards in the NHL, if we are going with the oversimplified math.

Stutzle would rank in the top two third of top line players based on points.

Pretty good for a 20 year old id say.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Yes he’s making the same mistakes that he was when he entered the league. But he’s doing lots of great things - creative, skill based and pushing the puck pushing the play - more frequently. From Glimpses to regularity. He’s also showing a lot of grit and isn’t afraid to mix it up, hits, no backing down. That’s huge for a player in his position imo.

So yes it can be frustrating to see him with giveaways or skating into rather than away from trouble, but this is what his development curve is looking like imo. He’s on his way, it’s impressive. He’s always involved in the play which is much better for a young rising star player than to be invisible and unnoticeable for most of their ice time. Definitely not what we’re seeing with Timmy.

Reactions: Union2017

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Ya, I think that's fair. Its a learning process for him, just like it is for most young players. He's learning what works. I think simplifying his game and going more with high percentage stuff will help him.

I generally agree that we should be patient and take the good with the bad. That said, is he learning what works? Because he appears to be making the same unforced errors over and over again. He desperately needs to clean up his game.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I generally agree that we should be patient and take the good with the bad. That said, is he learning what works? Because he appears to be making the same unforced errors over and over again. He desperately needs to clean up his game.
Sure, at times I wonder about the pace of his learning as well. I'm not expecting it to happen at all at once, but hopefully we'll see good progress and that it won't take too long.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well he learned these drawing favorable matchups last year. Now he’s learning them against difficult matchups. While operating at over ppg.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
It's a beautiful thing that a struggling 20yr old player is still a PPG player whos doing dynamic things in between those glaring mistakes.

Imagine how incredible this player will be when he's on fire and the team isn't in a massive slump.

Lol this isn't like a future prediction years out from now. It could be the case by the time that we start a new calendar in 2023.

People should go watch full games of Patrick Kane in his early 20s. Heck even his later 20s. This guy was anything but a complete two way player, and made boatloads of irresponsible plays with and without the puck.

He was insulated by a strong and responsible 2nd line and a good system that promotes team defense, and was given a long leash to go and and make things happen.

So we really need to be patient with Stutzle- a guy who already competes much harder away from the puck than a young Patrick Kane or Marner ever did.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Agreed. It's hard to tell what's off with him sometimes, but I think it's this. There was an entry into the o zone he made last game where he absolutely blew into the zone and made the opponent back off. I think it's a little more of that straight, aggressive style that he needs and less receiving the puck and going towards the boards or across the o zone.

Or being too fancy in many less words I guess. And shoot more and let your wingers mop up the rebounds.

SensEnforcer

Nov 23, 2008
Melbourne
Needs more tape on his stick to stop the puck from bobbling.

If you have to say what style of player stuzle is what would say? Playmarker, shooter? He almost is neither yet somehow is both.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Timmy has the potential for a great post hockey career as elite pastry chef with the amount of turnovers he can produce in 60 mins.

Last edited:

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
Lol @ anyone believing that Stützle is the main reason why we have been losing.
Yes, he has made many mistakes recently, but few of them actually resulted in goals against, and when it happened, these goals were seldomly the reason why we lost the games.
Should DJ have benched him? Most definitely, I agree. But he could have done so with half of the team as well.

Isn't Stützle top 5 in zone entries league wide? The guy is putting up better numbers than Jack Hughes was with the same amount of games played.
He willost definitely be a #1C league wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad