Player Discussion Tim Stützle - L̶W̶/C - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Looks like he may need another season or two to break out and be a star, kind of like how MacKinnon didn't make that jump until his 5th year in the league.

Like MacKinnon his speed and skill combo is elite and can be deadly, but Timmy's IQ isn't quite at the level of his technical skills.

He'll eventually figure it what works and what doesn't. Not worrying about his contract in the slightest.
Checked to see his numbers last year after 14 games.
1 goal, 5 assists for 6 points, compared to 13 this year.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
TIL that a 20 year old kid producing at a point per game pace in the NHL needs to “figure it out”

Stützle even got penalty kill time yesterday and made a great play to clear the puck out of the zone on the PK.

He was blocking shots and causing havoc on the back check.

Why Stü has become some posters whipping boy… I’ll never understand it…
I haven't seen him singled out as a whipping boy whatsoever. No need to dramatize. He has had some tough plays which warrant criticism as a top-player who is integral to the team now and in the future.

I'm sure he would be the first to admit it. Has also showed flashes of his potential to be a top player in the league.

His compete has been obvious, and his passing is smooth. Skating looks great too. Just needs to work on his balance, and getting trapped on the boards.

If he polishes up his timing and his shot, he could hit 90+ pts this season.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think right now he is battling to find his confidence. A player of his style is always going to be a little frustrating when it comes to turnovers because he has the puck on his stick so much. The biggest difference between the end of last season and the start of this season is that he is putting himself in more difficult situations to escape and it's leading to more turnovers.

Upon entering the zone he isn't attacking my using the middle of the ice or using his speed to go outside as much. He is curling back nearly every time, and while it can be a good option he is doing it so often the opposition is all over it. Against Minnesota they were all over it and just stuffed him on the entry.

I think his lack confidence to start is reflected in his shot totals. In the first 9 games he had 12 shots on net with just 6 points and points in only 3 of those 9 games. He maybe turning the corner however. He has 18 shots in his last 5 games with 7 points in that span, with a point in 4 of those 5 games. Last year was a similar story with his start. He again had 12 shots in the first 9 games, the move the center helped him but I wonder if it takes some time to get going in a fresh season.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Looks like he may need another season or two to break out and be a star, kind of like how MacKinnon didn't make that jump until his 5th year in the league.

Like MacKinnon his speed and skill combo is elite and can be deadly, but Timmy's IQ isn't quite at the level of his technical skills.

He'll eventually figure it what works and what doesn't. Not worrying about his contract in the slightest.
Repeating the same experiment as above with Spezza:

Mackinnon by the age of 21 had:
153 points in 218 games. Good for a... 57 point pace.

Seems these three shared very similar starts. Once again, Stutzle has 2 more months to get ahead of Mackinnon's pace. Also, Mackinnon paced 53 points as a 22 year old. I assume Stutzle will also beat this next season.

Stutzle is keeping pace with super stars. Hopefully he can reach their peak as well.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Remember Zibby around his age was a 50pt 20 goal scorer and people were giving him shit . Those posters are no where to be seen and rightfully so
I'm pretty sure I was one of those posters. I'd say I've learned that even when guys look like they might not breakout, they may just need more time.

Currently Stutzle is driving me nuts and isn't compleltly playing the game as good as he could, just needs more time and I think everyone is going to be more tolerant about that so it doesn't turn into the same situation again.

It was a bit different with DJ ZBAD, his intensity level wasn't there, he wasn't putting in the same effort and he had a wannabe DJ Career lol. Some players just don't breakout on the team they were drafted on. I think people forget that it still took Mika 2 years to really breakout in New York.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'm pretty sure I was one of those posters. I'd say I've learned that even when guys look like they might not breakout, they may just need more time.

Currently Stutzle is driving me nuts and isn't compleltly playing the game as good as he could, just needs more time and I think everyone is going to be more tolerant about that so it doesn't turn into the same situation again.

It was a bit different with DJ ZBAD, his intensity level wasn't there, he wasn't putting in the same effort and he had a wannabe DJ Career lol. Some players just don't breakout on the team they were drafted on. I think people forget that it still took Mika 2 years to really breakout in New York.
he played at a 54 point pace in NYR, and in the second year he played at a 53 point pace while hitting 30g for the first time. He was literally improving bit by bit every season, he improved offensively and started playing over a minute per game on the penalty kill.

The scrutiny he had here was ridiculous because he wasn't "intense" enough. Apparently improving in every aspect of the game offensively and defensively isn't intense enough, like what was he supposed to do, throw body crunching hits?

Reactions: Sun God Nika

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
he played at a 54 point pace in NYR, and in the second year he played at a 53 point pace while hitting 30g for the first time. He was literally improving bit by bit every season, he improved offensively and started playing over a minute per game on the penalty kill.

The scrutiny he had here was ridiculous because he wasn't "intense" enough. Apparently improving in every aspect of the game offensively and defensively isn't intense enough, like what was he supposed to do, throw body crunching hits?
Opposite. He went from 111 hits in 81 games in Ottawa to 23 in 56 in NY. God that trade sucked.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Stu misses having Josh Norris insulate him as #1 centre. We miss Norris a lot, not just for his scoring. Out of the young kids at forward, Norris is the only one who is good defensively. With honourable mention to Pinto's developing 2-way potential.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
This guy needs to watch videos of havlat on Ottawa.

I find stutzle is more talented than havlat, but havlat had a way of making dekes that got him into a better scoring position. Stutzle seems to deke guys to put himself in equal or worse scoring positions. Like what's the point?

He needs to just play a bit more north-south through the neutral zone. Allow himself to cross the Blueline with speed and then make one quick move into the inside to get in the slot and fire away. Rinse and repeat. Dangling through everyone on the perimeter isn't doing much.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I’m honestly shocked. I shouldn’t be given how Spezza and Zibanejad were treated but come on! Not even 21 and showing so many tools and the right attitude/mindset. Give him time folks.
Zibanejad did have a tendency to float. I was not a big zib guy but I would not have made the trade we did

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I’m honestly shocked. I shouldn’t be given how Spezza and Zibanejad were treated but come on! Not even 21 and showing so many tools and the right attitude/mindset. Give him time folks.
It's all standard, youth oriented comments as far as I see.

He does need to stop the extra dipsy doodle.
He does need to shoot the puck more quickly
He does need to be smarter with the puck

Nothing most kids getting used to the league don't hear every year. He is going to be very, very good and points will come regardless but he will be a more impactful player as far as getting wins when the above parts of his game mature.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
It's all standard, youth oriented comments as far as I see.

He does need to stop the extra dipsy doodle.
He does need to shoot the puck more quickly
He does need to be smarter with the puck

Nothing most kids getting used to the league don't hear every year. He is going to be very, very good and points will come regardless but he will be a more impactful player as far as getting wins when the above parts of his game mature.

I think a lot of it is about getting better at using his linemates.

Unfortunately for super talented kids like him, they come up through the system used to having to do most of the work offensively for their lines, and sometimes it can be a bit lopsided. Hard to unlearn some of that approach but he's getting better. That would also then solve the problem of too much dipsy doodling on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad