Rumor: Tierney, Boedker available (and Martin)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don't care much about the off ice issues especially with all the half truths and fake news being thrown around mainstream media this day and age, but I wouldn't want Evander Kane simply because I just don't think he's that good of a hockey player.

You might want to work on your player evaluation skills because Evander Kane is an elite even strength goal-scorer.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
You might want to work on your player evaluation skills because Evander Kane is an elite even strength goal-scorer.

he's never scored more than 30 goals in a season, that's hardly elite. Even if all of them were at ES.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
he's never scored more than 30 goals in a season, that's hardly elite. Even if all of them were at ES.
He hit 25 ES goals last year. Pavelski only had one more in the year he hit 38. I'd definitely say Pavs was an elite goal scorer in his best season.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
Heatley's car crash directly led to on-ice issues and really Kane's off-ice issues didn't lead to on-ice issues that are with him today because he's shown that he can get past them and produce which is all that should count right now.
What on-ice issues did Heatleys car crash/killing of Dan Snyder have? When did Roenick quit on his team and which team was it?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What on-ice issues did Heatleys car crash/killing of Dan Snyder have? When did Roenick quit on his team and which team was it?

Heatley missed the first three months of the season after the crash due to the injuries he suffered to his knee in the crash. Roenick quit on the Coyotes back when Gretzky was coaching them in 2006. He went and had a nice dinner after finding out he was being scratched for a game in Vancouver.

Jul 10, 2010
ive thought E.Kane would be the perfect winger for Thornton since his Winnipeg days. Nasty shot on him and his an above average-good skater

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
evander kane has matured on the ice quite a bit, he was always an overshooter in his winnipeg days and even early buffalo seasons. but his last two seasons hes picking spots and getting into good positions. but gone are the days that we can just say "hed be great with thornton" its just not true anymore. jumbo isnt feeding guys, hes throwing pucks into defenders sticks, he can barely maintain the cycle and while i hope that changes, i dont see any indications.

we should be focusing on coutures line and how to beef it up in the market

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We need scoring and Kane fits the bill. He has matured and gotten better on a bad Sabres team.

They do need someone like Kane but I think their best bet there is to sign him in the off-season because they need more than just Kane. They needed Kane when they had Marleau and now they need a Marleau replacement and someone like Evander Kane. It's too much, I feel, to get during the season.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Kane would be a homerun and depending on who goes back in trade would make the Sharks legit contender.

Kane goes on Couture's wing and they become the team's top line. You are likely going to have a winger that isn't necessarily a true top 6 but Kane and Couture are going to carry that line regardless of who is on their wing. You also might catch lightning in a bottle with someone like Labanc or Donski.

Hertl moves back with the Joes and most nights you look to match them against the other team's top line.

The bottom 6 is what it is and has enough pieces to contribute, they just can't be counted on to carry the offence.

As soon as the top 6 is fixed you would see Hertl, Kane, Couture attacking the soft middle of the offensive zone which would open up the points.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Kane would be a homerun and depending on who goes back in trade would make the Sharks legit contender.

Kane goes on Couture's wing and they become the team's top line. You are likely going to have a winger that isn't necessarily a true top 6 but Kane and Couture are going to carry that line regardless of who is on their wing. You also might catch lightning in a bottle with someone like Labanc or Donski.
Hertl moves back with the Joes and most nights you look to match them against the other team's top line.

The bottom 6 is what it is and has enough pieces to contribute, they just can't be counted on to carry the offence.

As soon as the top 6 is fixed you would see Hertl, Kane, Couture attacking the soft middle of the offensive zone which would open up the points.

I don't think Hertl with the Joes fixes their issues and w/o that happening on its own, the Sharks aren't going to be a legit contender even with Kane. This team basically has until February to get the stars on track and if they don't, it's going to be a lost season no matter what their record is at that point.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017

Sharks aren’t going to be a legit contentender with a trade for Kane. Far from it. It would take a talent like Tavares with nothing beyond prospects and futures going back to make us a cup contender. More likely Wilson sits until trade deadline and is a seller (if he is smart). As we all know, but many fail to admit, this team needs to rebuild to have a real shot at the Cup given our aging and underperforming core

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Sharks aren’t going to be a legit contentender with a trade for Kane. Far from it. It would take a talent like Tavares with nothing beyond prospects and futures going back to make us a cup contender. More likely Wilson sits until trade deadline and is a seller (if he is smart). As we all know, but many fail to admit, this team needs to rebuild to have a real shot at the Cup given our aging and underperforming core

I have to disagree, not that I think Kane fixes everything. The Sharks need to improve their goal output to the top half of the NHL and if they can do that while still remaining elite at preventing goals I see them as a contender.

Adding a legit threat like Kane has a rippling effect on the entire roster. Kane-Couture should elevate the top line and produce consistent chances while driving play. Moving Hertl with the Joes isn't going to fix how either Thornton or Pavelski are playing but it improves the line significantly since Hertl would arguably be the best player on the line.

With two lines capable of being a scoring threat teams will have to respect the forwards more which in turn opens up Burns and to a lesser extend Heed. If they continue to blanket the point it is going to create space for Kane, Couture, Hertl which are going to be the engine driving the offence.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
Heatley missed the first three months of the season after the crash due to the injuries he suffered to his knee in the crash. Roenick quit on the Coyotes back when Gretzky was coaching them in 2006. He went and had a nice dinner after finding out he was being scratched for a game in Vancouver.

Heatley missiing the first three months with a knee injury is not an on-ice/off ice controversy. Link for the Roenick rumor? and how is that quitting? Did he say that he didn't want to play for them anymore?

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California

What we all know and simply fail to admit is that playoff teams do not sell at the deadline to rebuild. That's just not how business works. If we are in the race there are 3 possibilities, DW will hedge his bet and not make any moves, keeping us competitive but not losing any assets. Make a small move like last year and acquire a Hansen like talent. Or make a bigger move i.e. Kane. What he's not going to do is gut a team full of veterans if they are in playoff contention, it just won't happen. If they're out of the race sure, he should and hopefully will try to acquire future assets(picks, prospects, etc,) but if they're in the race they won't be selling, sorry.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Heatley missiing the first three months with a knee injury is not an on-ice/off ice controversy. Link for the Roenick rumor? and how is that quitting? Did he say that he didn't want to play for them anymore?

I'm not going to take you seriously when you're suggesting that a car wreck that kills a teammate and causes him to miss extended time didn't cause controversy and didn't impact his team negatively. You can see the Roenick thing on his wiki page for starters. When you get scratched and leave instead of being there with your team like everyone else has always done, that's him quitting on the team in protest. No matter how you want to look at that little hissy fit that Roenick threw that night, it's going to rub teammates and coaches the wrong way which is why he got sat the next game for it too. It doesn't matter if he explicitly states that he didn't want to play for them anymore. He showed it in his actions and if people can get past that like the Sharks did when they signed him, they could get past whatever people think is in Kane's past too.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
So what is a reasonable offer for 2/3 of a season of E. Kane?

OReagan (Eichel's college bromance)+ Dillion (think they need help on LHD)?

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
So what is a reasonable offer for 2/3 of a season of E. Kane?

OReagan (Eichel's college bromance)+ Dillion (think they need help on LHD)?

I'm not good with these things, but that doesn't seem like nearly enough in my opinion. I would think that at least a 1st and a better prospect than O'Regan has to go the other way.

Getting back on topic, I don't think Boedker, Martin and Tierney have much value at all.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
I'm not good with these things, but that doesn't seem like nearly enough in my opinion. I would think that at least a 1st and a better prospect than O'Regan has to go the other way.

Getting back on topic, I don't think Boedker, Martin and Tierney have much value at all.

Also getting back on topic, do you think something like Martin + Tierney + O'Reagan + 2018 1st for Kane + conditional 2019 2nd (if Kane does not extend with Sharks) would be closer to reasonable?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad