Rumor: Tierney, Boedker available (and Martin)

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I'd take Kane in a heartbeat. He's fast, mean and physical, and can shoot.

Donskoi - Cooch - Hertl
Kane - Joe - Joe
Timo - Tierney - LaBanc
Hansen - Carpenter/Goodrow - Boedker

Or
Donskoi - Cooch - Boedker
LaBanc - Joe - Joe
Kane - Hertl - Timo
Hansen - Carpenter / goodrow - whoever

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
Getting another top 6 winger would allow for the Donskoi-Couture-Hertl line which would be great. I like the 1st set of lines better. The Timo-Tierney-Labanc line intrigues me. Could give us 2 elite top lines and a 3rd scoring line. For the 4th line I'd prefer to shed Boedker and Hansen's contracts and go with Ward-Carp/Goodrow-Karlsson.

Realistically, what do we think Kane would cost?

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Getting another top 6 winger would allow for the Donskoi-Couture-Hertl line which would be great. I like the 1st set of lines better. The Timo-Tierney-Labanc line intrigues me. Could give us 2 elite top lines and a 3rd scoring line. For the 4th line I'd prefer to shed Boedker and Hansen's contracts and go with Ward-Carp/Goodrow-Karlsson.

Realistically, what do we think Kane would cost?
I'd imagine a first + low end prospect or Dillon and a 2nd or 3rd. I'd do that in a heartbeat since Ole Dougie isn't exactly known for good first round picks anyway.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
If they felt enough about Roenick's character to take a chance on him when he was awful, I think they can convince themselves that Kane is of good enough character when he is playing well.

Yeah this whole character thing is blown out of proportion.

Claude lemieux, raffi torres, danny heatley, jeremy roenick, galiardi (mostly just his contract attitude).

And i am sure there is more that i am missing that was signed or traded for.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If the player is good enough, every single GM will overlook character issues. Like it or not, Evander Kane has been one of the best even strength scorers in the league over the past calendar year and he plays on the putrid Buffalo Sabres.

Reactions: Phu

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
Twice being arrested, once for sexual assault and the other for criminal harassment, ya I don't recall ever hearing Roenick, Lemieux, Raffi, or TJ being accused of this......

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Twice being arrested, once for sexual assault and the other for criminal harassment, ya I don't recall ever hearing Roenick, Lemieux, Raffi, or TJ being accused of this......

In Kane's cases, he was cleared on one and the charges were dropped on the other. Roenick quit on his team which in those circles is generally seen as worse than those types of accusations that don't lead anywhere. The Sharks kept Clowe after his drunk driving charge four months after Mark Bell had been suspended for 15 games for his hit-and-run conviction. The point is that this type of stuff isn't this huge deterrent for this team.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
If the player is good enough, every single GM will overlook character issues. Like it or not, Evander Kane has been one of the best even strength scorers in the league over the past calendar year and he plays on the putrid Buffalo Sabres.

yeah i dont get why more people don't notice how freakin good he is.

Beethovens 10th

du bist ein ungeduldiges Eichhörnchen!
Sep 27, 2017
Zentralfriedhof
yeah i dont get why more people don't notice how freakin good he is.
They’re too busy protecting their daughters from him... :(

But yeah, most of these guys make terrible mistakes and still hold employment assuming they contribute on the ice. Kane would help immensely but like others I feel like we need more on the scoring/pp front...

Last edited:

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
In Kane's cases, he was cleared on one and the charges were dropped on the other. Roenick quit on his team which in those circles is generally seen as worse than those types of accusations that don't lead anywhere. The Sharks kept Clowe after his drunk driving charge four months after Mark Bell had been suspended for 15 games for his hit-and-run conviction. The point is that this type of stuff isn't this huge deterrent for this team.

Not that I'm disagreeing about Kane's skill or agree with DW's mindset, but using assets to trade for a "trouble" player is pretty different than keeping or signing one (and in Bell's case, trading the following off-season). Probably helped that DW played with Roenick for 3 seasons too.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not that I'm disagreeing about Kane's skill or agree with DW's mindset, but trading for a "trouble" player is pretty different than keeping them (and in Bell's case, trading the following off-season). Probably helped that DW played with Roenick for 3 seasons too.

Dany Heatley?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
They’re too busy protecting their daughters from him... :(

But yeah, most of these guys make terrible mistakes and still hold employment assuming they contribute on the ice. Kane would help immensely but like others I feel like we need more on the scoring/pp front...

Yeah, I’m sure DW would definitely turn down Patrick Kane in a trade. :rolleyes:

Hockey guys don’t care if their players are accused of awful stuff off-ice, if the player is good enough. I doubt many of the player’s teammates care either. The cardinal sins in the NHL are not being “the last one off the ice”, not being “good in the room”, and not being a team player.

And while we’re at it, let’s stop making jokes about the serious crime Kane (both) were accused of.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
~7 years later vs. an incident less than 1.5 years ago would probably be a factor too. Fair or not, I feel like DW is mostly against players who party/drink (Setoguchi tainted his mindset :laugh).

And I'm just saying that there's enough in DW's past and there's enough in Kane's specific situation to give enough wiggle room for DW to either dismiss the whole character issue or say that it's within their guidelines of character guys because Kane's incidents never amounted to anything and one could also point to Thornton being arrested 2.5 years before he was traded for by the Sharks. The difference between that 2.5 year ago incident on what it is for Kane is pretty meaningless in this context. I think he may not like Kane for more personality reasons rather than partying or police incidents though.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The difference with Kane and the other players listed is that Evander Kane's off ice issues have had effects on his play with every team he's played for. In Winnipeg, he had problems with his own teammate, Dustin Byfuglien. Kane supposedly wore a track suit to practice and Byfuglien threw the track suit away lol. In Buffalo, he missed a practice because he had spent the entire prior night partying at the NBA all star game's after party. This led to him being scratched.

These are just the confirmed incidents and these are just off the top of my head. Thornton may have pushed a police officer, Clowe may have got a DUI, Heatley may have crashed his car, but when did any of these incidents affect their on-ice play? When did any of these guys ever choose to go to the NBA all star game after party over a f***ing hockey game? That's my issue with Kane. I don't have a problem with kids being cocky and taking photos with money. The sexual assault claims also seemed largely unsubstantiated and since they were both dropped, so I'm not going to crucify him over them. But when it comes to a guy who just doesn't seem like a team player, who seems to think he's bigger than the team, and whose character issues have led to on-ice issues, the player becomes a problem. Thornton, Heatley, Clowe, never had their off-ice issues lead to on-ice problems. They came to practice on time and left their heart on the ice every game. I'm not sure that Kane will do the same, and so I really don't know that DW will be willing to brush away his off-ice issues either

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Im sure if Kane is in DW's mind, he'll do his due diligence about what kind of teammate Kane is now. Yes, he has had issues in the past that affected his on-ice performance (and that of his team), however those incidents aren't happening now as far as we know. He could have matured and really started to put team first.

Kane is basically my exact age, almost to the day. For my job, I have certainly matured over the past 2 years.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The difference with Kane and the other players listed is that Evander Kane's off ice issues have had effects on his play with every team he's played for. In Winnipeg, he had problems with his own teammate, Dustin Byfuglien. Kane supposedly wore a track suit to practice and Byfuglien threw the track suit away lol. In Buffalo, he missed a practice because he had spent the entire prior night partying at the NBA all star game's after party. This led to him being scratched.

These are just the confirmed incidents and these are just off the top of my head. Thornton may have pushed a police officer, Clowe may have got a DUI, Heatley may have crashed his car, but when did any of these incidents affect their on-ice play? When did any of these guys ever choose to go to the NBA all star game after party over a ****ing hockey game? That's my issue with Kane. I don't have a problem with kids being cocky and taking photos with money. The sexual assault claims also seemed largely unsubstantiated and since they were both dropped, so I'm not going to crucify him over them. But when it comes to a guy who just doesn't seem like a team player, who seems to think he's bigger than the team, and whose character issues have led to on-ice issues, the player becomes a problem. Thornton, Heatley, Clowe, never had their off-ice issues lead to on-ice problems. They came to practice on time and left their heart on the ice every game. I'm not sure that Kane will do the same, and so I really don't know that DW will be willing to brush away his off-ice issues either

Heatley's car crash directly led to on-ice issues and really Kane's off-ice issues didn't lead to on-ice issues that are with him today because he's shown that he can get past them and produce which is all that should count right now.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I don't care much about the off ice issues especially with all the half truths and fake news being thrown around mainstream media this day and age, but I wouldn't want Evander Kane simply because I just don't think he's that good of a hockey player.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I don't care much about the off ice issues especially with all the half truths and fake news being thrown around mainstream media this day and age, but I wouldn't want Evander Kane simply because I just don't think he's that good of a hockey player.
This guy's all business

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad