This is a Bad Hockey Team 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
JG had a championship team right in front of him and he never managed to supplement those players with the few missing pieces to put them over the top.
Instead he dismantled the team and he’s starting over.
It’s not as if these were aging/over 30ish players.
He gets fleeced in every trade he makes.
Stepan and Raanta was a huge price to pay for what he got.
He’s bring in the completely wrong players for roles they’ve never played in and not only that but now he’s gonna go bargain shopping for some mediocre center that’s just going to fill a hole.
I find that completely idiotic.
Also..He’s is letting AV run not only that team but the team that is now in front of him into the ground.
Do you see tonight’s pairings?
How long of a leash can this guy possibly get?

Trifecta LOL
I do like your sense of humor and I’m trying to answer your questions but your ADHD is kicking in hard bro lol.
My Trifecta is..
1 - JG <See Above>
2 - AV for his system, lack of adjusting realtime and mind boggling combos and pairing decisions.
He’s always talking about finding duals.
Guess what AV? There’s 3 players on any given line.
3 - The roster full of the wrong players for the roles being given.
It’s forcing a square peg into a round hole..

Ok so literally the same trifecta I listed.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I'm gonna double post this..

Look at the job JD did putting together this CBJ roster. Speed, skill, grit, coaching and goaltending.
OUTSTANDING!!

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Not a bad hockey team but not currently a good one either. These are the games you look back on when the playoffs are looming and you're 8 points out. Assuming we go on a tear at some point and are in the mix. So I'm not super down on them just yet but I don't really care all that much this year either. I think we're a bubble team. I hope we're more.

If not, well... we've got some decent pieces to build on on and relatively solid management. Should bounce back.

This message took like 5 minutes to write. Appreciate the effort!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good lord man.... I don’t know where you are but Gorts did well this summer. Essentially got a young skilled center in the draft and ADA who has a LOT of upside for a center that may become obsolete and a back up goalie who could become a starter. JG has done well in player acquisition.

What do you think about long-term contracts to UFA defensemen at 6.65 million and 4.35 million? That was a big part of the offseason, as well.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Like to see 10 games or so in before making a fair assessment. 1-4 is not good by any means, but in this game, a good week can put them back on track. It just seems that depth from last season is gone, do we really miss Derek Stepan that much?

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Like to see 10 games or so in before making a fair assessment. 1-4 is not good by any means, but in this game, a good week can put them back on track. It just seems that depth from last season is gone, do we really miss Derek Stepan that much?

When you play DD as your number 3C and Hayes is your 2C you bet that we do.

Reactions: McD37

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
DD has been a disappointment. He provides nothing. Getting overpowered out there.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
When you play DD as your number 3C and Hayes is your 2C you bet that we do.

Yeah pretty much. I am hoping we can woo Taveras this off season. Feels like we need that franchise center to take it all home. Don't get me wrong love Mika but I have always seen him as a 2C borderline 1c or a 1Cb if that makes sense lol.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
They don't need Tavares, they just need to keep their draft picks.

It was fine that they moved them when they had their window (no, that doesn't include the Eric Staal trade) but we're seeing the fall out from that now.

This team has the potential to be really bad, even if they get rid of the asshat coach. Lucky for them, its the right year to suck.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I'm going to separate my comments into expected awfulness and unexpected awfulness. Expected awfulness are weaknesses that any objective observer should have seen coming into this season, unexpected awfulness are flaws that hopefully will sort themselves out eventually or this team has no shot.

Expected awfulness:
1. A team that has perrennially gotten terrible defensive play from its forwards lost its two best defensive forwards and replaced them with... David Desharnais. Surprise, surprise: the team sucks defensively.
2. Marc Staal is still on the roster.
3. Kevin Hayes is not a #2 C. Hayes is now at the same point where Kreider was about a year ago - time to stop expecting more and just accept the player he is. Good enough to impress in short bursts, not good enough to rely on night in and night out.
4. Grabner getting chances that aren't going in. Regression is a *****.
5. Nash not contributing. I know he has a lot of fans on here but I've never seen a player supposedly do so much offensively and yet never have any of it show on the scoreboard.
6. Jimmy Vesey sucks. He's slow, nonphysical, doesn't shoot, can't pass, and has no intensity. He better pack on some pounds and hit the weight room or he may not stick in this league much longer. Matt Gilroy the forward version.
7. Kevin Shattenkirk is not a good defensive defenseman. We were warned about this by two separate fanbases. He is elite offensively. Keith Yandle 2.0 at a cheaper cost which actually wouldn't be a bad thing if not for #s 1 and 2 above and # 1 below.

Unexpected awfulness:
1. Ryan McDonagh lost the Girardi anchor and is playing terrible. I do not expect this to last but it's a major issue right now.
2. Is JT Miller still on the Rangers or did we trade him to Arizona for picks?

Reactions: Blueshirt Special

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
1. Ryan McDonagh lost the Girardi anchor and is playing terrible. I do not expect this to last but it's a major issue right now.

There were so many here that thought it was the other way around - G was dragging Mac down and the new pairing with Shat will do wonders.

Now they don't even play together. lol

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I missed the part where McDonagh was playing terrible.

He and Shattenkirk actually worked pretty well together IMO. Its not his fault that hes had to carry around Staal for most of the season.

Reactions: Holocene

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
So the unforced error giveaways on the stretch passes he is making is Staal's fault? I'm not a Staal fan, but come on. McD has been weak in his own zone.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
How many of those has he made? It's not too many.

Not to mention that he HAS to be the one to move the puck out of his own end when Staal is out there since the latter is the worst at it in the league. Teams know this.

Saying that he's made some bad passes is fine, saying that hes been bad all together is something I can't get behind and saying that hes been bad in his own zone (which passing the puck has nothing to do with) is flat out incorrect.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Shattenkirk has a short contract Brother. Smith is slightly more than I wanted him for but still fair

Four years is short if you are contending those four years. If you are back to rebuilding after year 1, its not a good idea. We'll see what happens, I thought Gorton took the wrong strategy with these contracts, and I'm not sure I particularly want 11.1M on the cap in a year for two defensemen who are win now (and overpriced win now players) for a team that might be rebuilding.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
Call me crazy here but if we can trade Holden for a C and get Fast back I really don't think this is a bad roster. The coach is the bigger problem if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad