Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid: Flyers Rumors & Media Mentions

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You don't rush to trade prime assets, you let the market build for them.
It's not like a pick in the teens or twenties in this draft is likely to be as good as TK, even five years from now, so you have to get an offer that makes sense.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Let’s have a real rebuild please. Tear it down to the studs. Do we really want the half-build, aggressive retool nonsense?

They are going to do the exact same lazy thing they did under Hextall, except Provorov will be their Schenn.

Then proclaim that it’s evidence rebuilds don’t work lol

The ceiling of this strategy is peak Columbus or NYI, even though they have wet dreams about becoming St Louis.

The base of the vision is flawed, so nothing really matters anyway. It’s more about old people proving they are somehow right, and the new NHL is something to be laughed at. Little Flyer penis syndrome.

Again, two stars if we want to be generous - and included Couturier in that count since 2006. You don’t win shit this way, but they love being that badboy outlier. No plan to address that need, but all the talk is yet again about squeezing as much water from the try hard rocks as they can.

The people supporting this, just like those in the Flyer FO would rather die instead of admit they have been dead wrong for 10+ years. That’s what it’s about. Nothing more.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Oh no...you don't actually think this team can be competitive in 3 seasons do you?

No, not at all, not even sure where you get that from with the quote you are responding to? I'm suggesting you can actually make some roster/player moves in 3 years if you keep your cap clean over the course of the next couple seasons. Which means no one with term longer then 3 years. Then evaluate what you have and where you are in the 3rd year and begin to make necessary moves to start getting competitive in year 4 and 5.

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I would like to see a Richards + Carter type house clean...with 2 of TK, Provy, and Konecny moved prior to the draft.

All 3 of those guys could net you a basic 3 asset return...including a pick, upper level prospect or young nhl player, and a mid pick or prospect.

Those deals brought back: 8th overall, Voracek (22 years old), Schenn (top prospect, not in nhl yet), Simmonds (23 years old), a 2nd a 3rd.

If moving two of those 3 can get you 80% of that, especially with dman coming back, id be very happy.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Trading starters who are 20-23 to draft players who are 18 seems an exercise in futility, unless you get lucky, like Chicago.

Had Chicago ended up with #3, they would be looking at a decade of futility, with no talent, a mediocre talent pipeline, lots of draft picks, most of which won't sniff the NHL until 2026-2028.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
i don’t even know where to put this so I guess here. But on the recent STG they were talking about the Flyers new off the ice video series. So ASF talked about the one he did when employed with the team around 2013. He answered why it abruptly stopped after a few episodes. He said Comcast essentially nixed. They owned the video rights & wouldn’t grant them permission to use them.

I always wondered if the draft list being exposed to the internet was a reason but seems not. He did mention that happening though when talking about the series.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tearing it down to the studs means trading players like Frost, Tippett, Farabee, York, etc.
TK and Hart are the two 25 or older players who'll garner assets.
Laughton, Hayes, Provorov, are good bets to be moved, Sanheim, Risto, down the road if they play better and their contracts are more palatable.
Other than that, who has trade value?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
ASF thinks they still take a forward at #7 as the top defensemen in the draft probably aren’t than what top forward would be. He did say though the Flyers internally are worried about their blue line going forward. He did mention Andrea was the defensemen they are most high on going forward within the organization (not sure if that’s an oversight on York or not).

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
ASF thinks they still take a forward at #7 as the top defensemen in the draft probably aren’t than what top forward would be. He did say though the Flyers internally are worried about their blue line going forward. He did mention Andrea was the defensemen they are most high on going forward within the organization (not sure if that’s an oversight on York or not).
This echos what Jones said. They want a stout D.

To me, that means getting many more 2nds than 0. Seems you can get those top end guys there but also need to know how to develop them.

I’d love to see any Laughton rumors. How is he not a selling chip? His stock has never been higher and he is old enough not to be relevant to this team any longer.

Trade:
Laughton
Hayes
Provorov

I would like to trade Hart to help with the tank and get assets. He and TK are ok to stay if needed, but I would trade both.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

He did throw a Laughton tidbit out there too. He said he expects a good bit of other teams around the league to be calling on his availability this offseason. So that could be something to watch.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
This is why Briere's work on roster play trades is going to be key going into the draft.

If he can acquire 2nd round picks or even a late first rounder, you have to grab best defenseman available. You need to start stockpiling young d.

Reactions: Rebels57

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He did say though the Flyers internally are worried about their blue line going forward. He did mention Andrea was the defensemen they are most high on going forward within the organization (not sure if that’s an oversight on York or not).

14th overall in 2019; 54th overall in 2020; 13th overall in 2021; 36th overall in 2022; 39th and 71st overall in 2023; likely a top 40 pick in 2024. All these assets have been spent towards defensemen. Their go-to archetype for mid-late round defensemen has been low scoring barely projectable types. They've shown themselves unable to acquire impact defenders, save for a low risk pick in York, so the next logical step is to allocate more assets towards that position on a poor offensive team with holes everywhere.

I'm of the opinion that Andrae isn't much in the NHL with his lackluster skating, so you can surmise how I feel about him being their golden boy. He doesn't even factor into my long-term assessments. But Flahr is still here, so it makes sense.

He did throw a Laughton tidbit out there too. He said he expects a good bit of other teams around the league to be calling on his availability this offseason. So that could be something to watch.

The litmus test for competency. A 3rd liner signed in his age 29-31 seasons for a rebuilding team that will be bad well past the end of that deal. If a team offers a 1st round pick, you don't think twice. If internal meetings obsess over culture and strongly oppose a trade, it's toast.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Let's make this real simple:

There isn't a single player on this NHL roster should shouldn't be available right now.

No ifs
No ands
No buts.

I love Sanheim to death (as e upended by my jersey purchase), but there's literally noone on this team who is worth keeping during this rebuild. I'd they've played an NHL game to date, they can go.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The litmus test for competency. A 3rd liner signed in his age 29-31 seasons for a rebuilding team that will be bad well past the end of that deal. If a team offers a 1st round pick, you don't think twice. If internal meetings obsess over culture and strongly oppose a trade, it's toast.

Yeah he said as of now he’d guess Laughton’s still back next year. But he essentially painted a picture that once the off-season starts a market might potentially be created where the Flyers have to seriously consider pulling a trigger on a Laughton deal.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yeah he said as of now he’d guess Laughton’s still back next year. But he essentially painted a picture that once the off-season starts a market might potentially be created where the Flyers have to seriously consider pulling a trigger on a Laughton deal.

The Flyers have had a market for several years and didnt pull the trigger. I'm not sure it's going to magically happen. And if it does, it'll still be astoundingly worse of a reutn than they couldve gotten two ( has it been two years?) Ago, presumably.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Laughton’s trade value will never be higher has been said before, but this time it might be true. I think Hayes and Provorov are the priority, though.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
TK’s deal is up in 2 years. Does it make sense to extend him at 28 when the team is still likely 2-3 years away from contending?

No, it doesn’t. This is deep draft, and TK’s value is high due to his past season and the fact that he’s a relative bargain at 5.5 per for 2 seasons. Now is the time a smart GM should be dealing him. Hart should also be shopped. He gets dinged up a lot and who’s to say he’ll be a guy that can handle the rigors of a deep playoff drive in 5-6 years.

These guys, and Provorov too, have significant value right now. The Flyers are, barring some amazing breaks and lottery luck, at least five years away from contention. Move them all. Being lousy next season and landing a top 5 pick would not be a bad thing.
This is the key factor for me. If Konecny had another 5 years on his present contract they would have the latitude to see how the next 2 years play out. But the need to give him a huge raise while they will still almost certainly be way out of contention is not a recipe for success.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Laughton’s underlying numbers weren’t good this past year but the team being so bad allowed him to get the best usage in his career to this point which helped get career highs across the board in surface production. So this really might be your last window of opportunity to move him for something valuable. Not saying he’ll be unmovable going forward but the return might not be as fruitful as it could be now.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
here's why you trade TK this offseason. He had a great year. His value is super high mostly right now. Keeping him going into next year gets you one year closer to him being a FA, risks him getting hurt for a significant time, lessening his value or he has a shitty year..also lessening his value...strike while the iron is hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad