Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid: Flyers Rumors & Media Mentions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
They don’t *need* to trade Konecny.

Hell, for some people Konecny’s breakout season is like money burning a hole in their pockets.

YAY! NOW WE CAN TRADE HIM!!!

For what? Scratch off cards that are unlikely to ever be as good? He’s only entering his 26-y/o season.

Sure, there are circumstances where you trade him. Like if you’re drafting a top young center like Leo Carlsson or getting a #1 defenseman.

But you don’t trade him just for the sake of “cashing in” on his season. It better be a big cash-in. Otherwise forget it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He was expecting to be cleared the week after break up day
Once they figured it out, I don't think the surgery was unusual, unlike Farabee's neck, which was a new procedure that had only been used on a few players.

The problem with Atkinson was a misdiagnosis, but with a full offseason to rebuild strength, he should be close to 100% in upper body strength, and the year off probably helped his legs. So a rebound season followed by a decline as age catches up to him won't surprise me.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If they trade Hayes and Provorov, they already have a bare bones squad even assuming Atkinson and Couturier will be fully healthy. Most likely Laczynski will get replaced at 4C by some useless slug that Torts used to coach 10 years ago.

Farabee-Couturier-Atkinson
Laughton-Cates-Konecny
Tippett-Frost-Foerster/Brink
Deslauriers-Laczynski-Allison

Sanheim-Risto
York-DeAngelo
Seeler-Attard
Zamula

Hart
Ersson

Especially for a team as deeply conservative as the Flyers. The Richards/Carter trades are probably the most radical trades they've ever made. Even in the team's current state, it would be quite a shock for them to deal Hayes, Provorov, and TK in a single offseason.

In January it was being reported that Briere didn't feel ready/comfortable being a GM yet. It would be one hell of a confidence shift for him to go from that, to making a trio (or more) of trades which are each massive by the organization's standards.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Once they figured it out, I don't think the surgery was unusual, unlike Farabee's neck, which was a new procedure that had only been used on a few players.

The problem with Atkinson was a misdiagnosis, but with a full offseason to rebuild strength, he should be close to 100% in upper body strength, and the year off probably helped his legs. So a rebound season followed by a decline as age catches up to him won't surprise me.

Older players have a harder time coming back from breaks, it doesn't help them. All we should hope is that he gets well enough to be dealt at the next deadline.

Reactions: BiggE

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
I sure hope that Konecny is not getting traded this off-season. This can not be compared (for example) to Simmonds' situation, where Flyers waited too long for a trade. Konecny is just entering (or entered) his prime years. Same for Hart. Both should be core players for the Flyers.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Any GM would struggle to get full value for three big contracts in one summer with a flat cap, let alone a rookie GM.

And any Hayes deal will require retention or a cap dump coming back.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Eh, we know who the real sources are here.

@420_x_ChudChugger_x_69 who Tweets that his middle school teacher's 4th cousin 9th removed knows Mike Richards, and Mike says Briere has two bootyholes therefore he will probably trade for Matthews isn't gonna be allowed as a source for anything
Do we though?

• Haha
Reactions: BiggE

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Based off the timeline of a rebuild alone have to figure this list of guys are gonna be available in any talks not taking into consideration any No Trade/No Movements:

Hayes
Provorov
Deangelo
Risto
Sanheim - gonna have to bend over backwards with that contract
Laughton
TK
Hart
Atkinson - at trade deadline
Coots - at trade deadline

Im assuming they keep Deslauries and Seeler to "protect" the young guys.

Rumors that I've heard from the various bloggers include:

Hayes and 1/3 retained to Columbus
Provorov to Winnipeg or Toronto
Deangelo back to Carolina
Ellis to Arizona
Sanheim/Vancouver

If Atkinson is Healthy and CBJ has both Hayes and Johnny Hockey i'm assuming they try and make that work.

Reactions: usahockey22flyers

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
They don’t *need* to trade Konecny.

Hell, for some people Konecny’s breakout season is like money burning a hole in their pockets.

YAY! NOW WE CAN TRADE HIM!!!

For what? Scratch off cards that are unlikely to ever be as good? He’s only entering his 26-y/o season.

Sure, there are circumstances where you trade him. Like if you’re drafting a top young center like Leo Carlsson or getting a #1 defenseman.

But you don’t trade him just for the sake of “cashing in” on his season. It better be a big cash-in. Otherwise forget it.
I think they want to move him because of the fact that when this team will be competitive he will be at the end of his prime years *if he resigned* so they could trade him while his value is at an all time high, it's not just trading him, just to trade him, realistically the flyers won't be competitive for 5 years with good drafting and player development, that would put tk at 31 years old, so maximizing his value now is a very smart way of building a hockey team

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
You have to take your desire to keep certain players around (TK) with the anticipated timeline of your rebuild. Are Hart and TK gonna wanna stay around and wait 4-5 years to be competitive?

Sure they are both great players, but do they fit over the course of 4/5 years when they can bring back picks/assets for the rebuild?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Do we though?

giphy.gif

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
In January it was being reported that Briere didn't feel ready/comfortable being a GM yet. It would be one hell of a confidence shift for him to go from that, to making a trio (or more) of trades which are each massive by the organization's standards.

I suspect Jones will help Briere along with his wit and charm so as not to take everything.....
so seriously .....

Approach trade talk with patience and not let it weigh him down . Time will tell .

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
I sure hope that Konecny is not getting traded this off-season. This can not be compared (for example) to Simmonds' situation, where Flyers waited too long for a trade. Konecny is just entering (or entered) his prime years. Same for Hart. Both should be core players for the Flyers.
PHI is going to be bad the next 3-5 years, the exact prime of TK, and when we’re finally getting near contention that’s when he’ll be on the decline making more money than he should be.

I’m not advocating and TK trade but if someone offers you a great deal for him, you have to seriously consider becuase he doesn’t match our timeline

Reactions: BernieParent

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Especially for a team as deeply conservative as the Flyers. The Richards/Carter trades are probably the most radical trades they've ever made. Even in the team's current state, it would be quite a shock for them to deal Hayes, Provorov, and TK in a single offseason.

The funny thing (well funny in an extremely twisted way) is that back when they were good, they made big deals all the time

Just from 1990 on
1992 Tocchet & Samuelsson for Recchi
1992 The Lindros deal
1995 Recchi for Leclair/Desjardins
1996 Haller for Coffey
1999 Brind’amour for Primeau
2000 Zubrus for Recchi
2001 a boatload for Oates
2001 Lindros for Johnsson+
2002 Fedotenko+ to move up and draft Pitkanen
2005 trading Roenick to make room for Foppa
2007 Zhitnik for Coburn
2007 Forsberg for the pick that allowed them to acquire and sign Timonen & Hartnell
2009 the Pronger deal
2011 Richards and Carter deals
2012 JVR for Schenn

Some were good, some were bad, but either way they were often bold moves. Just more proof that the last decade of Flyers hockey has been horrid not just on the ice, but even more in the front office.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Hayes and 1/3 retained to Columbus
That Hayes rumor was hanging around a few months ago. Actually before Fletcher walked the plank. IDK if CBJ are still in on that deal. It would make sense for them since Hayes and Gaudreau had chemistry between them the ice at one time. The Jackets have a couple of contracts that they want to shed. I've heard that they are open to ditching Roslovic and/or Gudbransen. So there are possibilities between the organizations.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I guess things could always change when you leave enough time between it. But even Friedman has said multiple times post-Fletcher’s firing that that there’s an agreed upon deal between the Jackets & Flyers for Hayes.

ASF said a few podcasts ago that the deal was/is still on. The Jackets just didn’t want to do it in season because they’re a smaller market team & didn’t want to add Hayes’ remaining salary for this year in a lost season.

Using some context clues between how it was said I think the deal is Hayes with retention for a draft pick. I’m not sure if other players are involved (unless it’s like a minor league contract dump to even out contract slots).

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Danny should be disciplined when he makes the two/three trades that he doesn't pick up any term with the return. Weaponize that cap space that you gain for the next two/three years. If you need to take on salary go for it because your planning on playing young players that are either just off or still on there entry level contracts.

Salary isn't as big of an issue as term. You want to set yourself up nicely for free agency in 24/25.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The funny thing (well funny in an extremely twisted way) is that back when they were good, they made big deals all the time

Just from 1990 on
1992 Tocchet & Samuelsson for Recchi
1992 The Lindros deal
1995 Recchi for Leclair/Desjardins
1996 Haller for Coffey
1999 Brind’amour for Primeau
2000 Zubrus for Recchi
2001 a boatload for Oates
2001 Lindros for Johnsson+
2002 Fedotenko+ to move up and draft Pitkanen
2005 trading Roenick to make room for Foppa
2007 Zhitnik for Coburn
2007 Forsberg for the pick that allowed them to acquire and sign Timonen & Hartnell
2009 the Pronger deal
2011 Richards and Carter deals
2012 JVR for Schenn

Some were good, some were bad, but either way they were often bold moves. Just more proof that the last decade of Flyers hockey has been horrid not just on the ice, but even more in the front office.

Yeah, by "big" I mean from their view, and I've gotta think that for a team now obsessed with PR, hauling out the very recent face of the franchise, the Provorov they've tried to pass off as a true #1, and adding TK to the list would be pretty massive.

Especially because I remain unconvinced their idea of a rebuild is actually a second longer than 1 year.

"Rebuild" for one year, add and develop next year, see results year three is what I'd bet they think is gonna happen. In that context, moving Hart and TK would be bonkers.

So, we shall waste both careers.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
TK’s deal is up in 2 years. Does it make sense to extend him at 28 when the team is still likely 2-3 years away from contending?

No, it doesn’t. This is deep draft, and TK’s value is high due to his past season and the fact that he’s a relative bargain at 5.5 per for 2 seasons. Now is the time a smart GM should be dealing him. Hart should also be shopped. He gets dinged up a lot and who’s to say he’ll be a guy that can handle the rigors of a deep playoff drive in 5-6 years.

These guys, and Provorov too, have significant value right now. The Flyers are, barring some amazing breaks and lottery luck, at least five years away from contention. Move them all. Being lousy next season and landing a top 5 pick would not be a bad thing.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
No conceivable competitive window is open during the primes of Hart or Konecny. They're literally 2 of the 3 best trade pieces they have lol

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
The benefit of trading Konecny, and one that is ignored by the anti rebuild crowd - is that it likely also helps improve the Flyers future draft position.

I doubt it happens. They will move Hayes because Torts doesn’t get along with him, and Provorov because the business side wants him gone.

That’s going to be the extent of the Flyers selling off assets, and then calling it successful strategy to a rebuild. Wow.

As always, what dumbass falls for this shit :laugh:

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
No conceivable competitive window is open during the primes of Hart or Konecny. They're literally 2 of the 3 best trade pieces they have lol

They also make up 11% of our cap.

Combine that with moving the 8.6% of Hayes Cap, Coots at 9.3% and Atkinson at 7% then dropping Deangelo's in Free Agency next year your in better shape to start making some necessary moves.

The benefit of trading Konecny, and one that is ignored by the anti rebuild crowd - is that it likely also helps improve the Flyers future draft position.

I doubt it happens. They will move Hayes because Torts doesn’t get along with him, and Provorov because the business side wants him gone.

That’s going to be the extent of the Flyers selling off assets, and then calling it successful strategy to a rebuild. Wow.

As always, what dumbass falls for this shit :laugh:

Call me a sucker, but im hopeful they do what is necessary here with the older players. I think they are a bit more bullish on Hart but I think we all foresee the Provorov, Hayes moves and Atkinson/Coots are next if they remain healthy.

The TK, Sanheim, Hart, moves are the question. Your stuck eating Risto, and Deangelo there is no harm in waiting for him to go to UFA.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
They also make up 11% of our cap.

Combine that with moving the 8.6% of Hayes Cap, Coots at 9.3% and Atkinson at 7% then dropping Deangelo's in Free Agency next year your in better shape to start making some necessary moves.

Call me a sucker, but im hopeful they do what is necessary here with the older players. I think they are a bit more bullish on Hart but I think we all foresee the Provorov, Hayes moves and Atkinson/Coots are next if they remain healthy.

The TK, Sanheim, Hart, moves are the question. Your stuck eating Risto, and Deangelo there is no harm in waiting for him to go to UFA.
Oh no...you don't actually think this team can be competitive in 3 seasons do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad