Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid: Flyers Rumors & Media Mentions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So, for better or worse, now that there actually are actual people in roles to do actual work in their jobs, the rumors on actual movement are starting. And some of these, as you'll see, are actually things being said out loud. But I'd like a thread where they're in a place to be seen by people seeking actual information. And that's what this is, actual news and rumors regarding the Flyers, said by actual people in the media. Not a septic tank. Not a relitigation of Fletcher or further litigation of Torts. I swear to all that his high and holy that if this becomes a Torts debate, I will turn completely into the joker and take a flamethrower to the thread.

Danny Briere was on with Glen Macnow and Mike Sielski in the first hour of their show this morning to talk about his plans, which included an outright admission that while he intends to have Carter Hart be the 'goalie of the future,' a trade is not off the table, nor is it for anyone else given the position they're in. And basically names every goalie they have in the system, including being willing to say Fedotov's name out loud, and speaks with effusiveness on Ersson.

Some things said about being that's been previously corroborated by Ant on the STG podcast both in previous weeks, and in the episode they did last night.

They did some listener questions in the second half of the pod, where Ant speaks with confidence that 2 out of 4, and maybe even 3 out of the 4 of Hayes, Hart, Konecny, and Provorov being moved (think it was most sure of Hayes and Provorov). They also highlighted the fact, that while it's believed Briere will use the 7OV pick on a forward, there is an understanding that the system doesn't have even close to enough defensemen who are projected in top 4 roles. Ant only mentioned Andrae by name. He also said he believes there will be changes within the analytics and player development while scouting changes, if any, won't happen until after the draft.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
(I posted this without fully reading this was already spelled out in OP)

The I thought the new STG episode was a bit light on anything noteworthy, but paraphrasing from what I remember:

- ASF did reconfirm he thinks Hayes and Provorov are gone this summer, along with possibly Konecny and/or Hart.

- He also expects more front office changes this summer, albeit nothing as major as some might expect

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You've said some version of this every season for the last 5 years, and every offseason has been nothing but misery.
Not quite true.

He’s on the wrong side of every single topic, so consider how bad we expect things to be, then realize it’s the opposite for him.

He’s jerked himself silly over everything Fletchers done every offseason since he was hired, so for him they have been fun. Plus, now Torts is involved, who he worships even more obsessively than Chuck.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They did some listener questions in the second half of the pod, where Ant speaks with confidence that 2 out of 4, and maybe even 3 out of the 4 of Hayes, Hart, Konecny, and Provorov being moved (think it was most sure of Hayes and Provorov). They also highlighted the fact, that while it's believed Briere will use the 7OV pick on a forward, there is an understanding that the system doesn't have even close to enough defensemen who are projected in top 4 roles. Ant only mentioned Andrae by name. He also said he believes there will be changes within the analytics and player development while scouting changes, if any, won't happen until after the draft.
I think Hayes and Provorov are obvious, Torts doesn't want Hayes back (and his age and salary), and Provorov wants out.

TK and Hart is probably more "make me an offer I can't refuse" - TK has two years, Hart a year but still a RFA. So Briere doesn't have to accept a lowball.

Laughton is the other obvious trade bait, at 29 he doesn't fit a rebuild.

Seeler is cheap, so they won't give him away for a late round pick, you can always get that at the TDL.
TDA would be hard to move, Sanheim close to impossible, same with Risto given their contracts.
Atkinson has no market until he shows he's healthy.
Allison wouldn't bring much back, Laczynski nothing.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I really can’t see four major trades in one summer. When has that ever happened anywhere?

Everyone knows Hayes and Provorov have to go, so if the return is light, whatever. But you can’t do that with Hart and TK as well.
I think there’s 2 things here. First, you’re getting Couturier and Atkinson back, so that’s 2 spots refilled. The other is that, this is the draft you want the assets in, so it behooves a team like the Flyers who have such a major dearth at important positions to get aggressive. I’m betting against Konecny being moved though. Someone’s gonna have to make a stupid trade to do that.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I think there’s 2 things here. First, you’re getting Couturier and Atkinson back, so that’s 2 spots refilled. The other is that, this is the draft you want the assets in, so it behooves a team like the Flyers who have such a major dearth at important positions to get aggressive. I’m betting against Konecny being moved though. Someone’s gonna have to make a stupid trade to do that.
I know Couturier should be back, but is Atkinson coming back? I haven't heard squat about him and was wondering if he was LTIRetired

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
I will speak it into existence so I will say it often: TK should be traded this summer. His value is probably as high as it will be and he doesn’t really fit the Flyers time frame. Provy is gone I suspect. Ideally we should be adding 2-4 really nice prospects with potential this summer. With Cutter impressing, the young guys on the Flyers looking decent, and an infusion of a few 1st rounders or prospects (including 7, which should be a nice player regardless of who it is), the Flyers outlook for the future can improve greatly in a span of a few months

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
If they trade Kevdog and Rainbowhater its not a clear indication for the willingness to rebuild. It could.also be that they are offended by the two players. Kevdog is in the DOGHOUSE from our "spiritual leader" Torts. Rainbowhater has produce bad marketing. And is unhappy like for years.

So it could be just trades for other reasons than a rebuild. It need to happen alot before i believe in Danny. I will never believe in Jones or Torts.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
From the Sielski interview,

Briere: "I believe in our scouts. Our developmental, our analytic guys"

Ok bud
The amateur scouts have done a good job overall though it's hard to separate scouts and GM in the 1st and maybe the 2nd rd, past the first round a few 2nd rd whiffs, was it the scouts or Hextall who fell in love with Ratcliffe (he traded up for him). Same with Ginning. But Hart, Andrae as well.

After the 2nd rd, which is probably all scouts input, they've done pretty well the last 6 years or so:
Cates #138-2017, Lycksell #168-2017, Ersson #143-2018, Zamula UDFA-2018?, Attard #72-2019, Desnoyers #135-2020, Kosolov #78, Zanetti #110-2021, Samson #174-2021, Avon UDFA-2021, Kaplan #69-2022, Gendron #220-2022.

It's the pro scouting that's been subpar, both FA and trade targets and the failure to find "hidden gems" in minor trades, FA signings and waiver wire claims.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Trading Konecny is a point-of-no-return action. If you do that, you can’t reasonably sell that you’re not burning everything and running into the woods. Any veteran player after that would only not be moved because they couldn’t, as they all likely would want to be. That said, it has to be the perfect deal where someone comes and gets him.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Eh, we know who the real sources are here.

@420_x_ChudChugger_x_69 who Tweets that his middle school teacher's 4th cousin 9th removed knows Mike Richards, and Mike says Briere has two bootyholes therefore he will probably trade for Matthews isn't gonna be allowed as a source for anything

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If they trade Hayes and Provorov, they already have a bare bones squad even assuming Atkinson and Couturier will be fully healthy. Most likely Laczynski will get replaced at 4C by some useless slug that Torts used to coach 10 years ago.

Farabee-Couturier-Atkinson
Laughton-Cates-Konecny
Tippett-Frost-Foerster/Brink
Deslauriers-Laczynski-Allison

Sanheim-Risto
York-DeAngelo
Seeler-Attard
Zamula

Hart
Ersson

Status
Not open for further replies.