Rumor: Things Not Left Unsaid: Flyers Rumors & Media Mentions

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
This is the key factor for me. If Konecny had another 5 years on his present contract they would have the latitude to see how the next 2 years play out. But the need to give him a huge raise while they will still almost certainly be way out of contention is not a recipe for success.
I don't have a problem with looking at moving Konecny next summer if the market is soft on him right now. He's probably going to have another 70+ point season next year, and with only one year of term left, he might be the best most realistically available forward next offseason. The return could be Richards/Carter level from ten years ago.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If they’re not high on the current defensemen in the system, first off 2 of the last 3 drafts they only took one, last year was a dude who I think we all said couldn’t skate or shoot, so, I don’t know, maybe they should’ve taken more defensemen? If they don’t like them, and they don’t draft them, who are you evaluating?

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
ASF thinks they still take a forward at #7 as the top defensemen in the draft probably aren’t than what top forward would be. He did say though the Flyers internally are worried about their blue line going forward. He did mention Andrea was the defensemen they are most high on going forward within the organization (not sure if that’s an oversight on York or not).
Flyers will 100% skip the BPA in order to draft a D nobody..

you can bank that.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If they’re not high on the current defensemen in the system, first off 2 of the last 3 drafts they only took one, last year was a dude who I think we all said couldn’t skate or shoot, so, I don’t know, maybe they should’ve taken more defensemen? If they don’t like them, and they don’t draft them, who are you evaluating?

ASF made it seem like they’re concerned they don’t have a top pair defender within their organization currently or one that projects to be. But if you’re truly embarking on a long term rebuild like who cares? The opportunities should potentially present itself over these upcoming years.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
ASF made it seem like they’re concerned they don’t have a top pair defender within their organization currently or one that projects to be. But if you’re truly embarking on a long term rebuild like who cares? The opportunities should potentially present itself over these upcoming years.

This is the creative outside the box thinking you’d hope to see!

Carolina’s top 4 defenders consist of their own 4th rounder and 3rd rounder, and two players they acquired for a late 1st and a 3rd. Florida’s top 2 defenders were a 3rd round trade and a waiver claim, as their 1st overall pick is relegated to being their #3.

Devils, Kraken, Knights were all also creatively cobbled together (although the Devils have players incoming). The only homegrown top 10 defenders in the 2nd round were Ekblad, Reilly, Nurse, Bouchard, and Heiskanen. Only one of those is a true “top guy.”

You draft a f*** ton in quantity (and look for the right upside traits), or maybe you get lucky with how a certain class breaks up high, or your pro scouting group finds a gem or splurges in free agency. Or you’re like the Flyers and get nauseous at the thought of bulk picks and want to force the issue at every level.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sounds to me they’re going heavy on defensemen in the draft.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
The flyers need to trade Konecny, he peaked this year, and he’ll be valuable to a contending team, we’re rebuilding, we need Danny b to act like it. Provorov too, should give us an extra 2nd round pick too cuz he’s handsome. Lol

Reactions: RANKKA

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Not to poo poo, because I readily admit I'm just a negative prick about them lately - but Torts isn't allowing a Laughton, or Konecny trade.

They are both "his boys", and the perversion, the obsession with culture is going to prevent a lot of logical moves.

If they even truly consider trading either one I'll be madly impressed. Torts will shut the idea down quick. The team will say they need good character guys to guide the young kids, and that you basically can't crater a team completely if you want to build a winning culture.

Song as old as time.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not to poo poo, because I readily admit I'm just a negative prick about them lately - but Torts isn't allowing a Laughton, or Konecny trade.

They are both "his boys", and the perversion, the obsession with culture is going to prevent a lot of logical moves.

If they even truly consider trading either one I'll be madly impressed. Torts will shut the idea down quick.
I think y'all have some fantastic ideas about Torts.
He's said the team has to get younger and faster, and that it might take longer than 4 years to turn it around.
If they were competitive, Laughton would be a key depth player, but at 29, he's not part of a rebuild.
And with Couts returning and Cates, as well as Desnoyers, Laughton is a bit superfluous.

TK is a bit different, he's only 26, if his breakout is for real, can they draft someone as good in the top 10?
So they're not going to sell low.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
He's said the team has to get younger and faster, and that it might take longer than 4 years to turn it around.
If they were competitive, Laughton would be a key depth player, but at 29, he's not part of a rebuild.
And with Couts returning and Cates, as well as Desnoyers, Laughton is a bit superfluous.

TK is a bit different, he's only 26, if his breakout is for real, can they draft someone as good in the top 10?

For my own wild curiosity, may I ask what kind of car you drive?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I can think of a couple that went in the second round of the last two drafts. Maybe don't piss away premium picks in a half-ass retool and complain about the depth in the system?

Don't have the hard data, but in my findings, it's easier to find a top of the lineup defenseman later in the draft than a top of the lineup forward.

If they even truly consider trading either one I'll be madly impressed. Torts will shut the idea down quick. The team will say they need good character guys to guide the young kids, and that you basically can't crater a team completely if you want to build a winning culture.

Song as old as time.
I said this at the end of the season. The most moveable pieces are all "Torts guys". I'm starting to wonder if Hart's bumps and bruises that resulted in missed games have rubbed him the wrong way and that's why Briere publicly made him available to the league. :dunno:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Especially since the 24 draft is supposed to be heavy on D in the projected first round group, many of them the coveted RH shots.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I can think of a couple that went in the second round of the last two drafts. Maybe don't piss away premium picks in a half-ass retool and complain about the depth in the system?

Don't have the hard data, but in my findings, it's easier to find a top of the lineup defenseman later in the draft than a top of the lineup forward.

I said this at the end of the season. The most moveable pieces are all "Torts guys". I'm starting to wonder if Hart's bumps and bruises that resulted in missed games have rubbed him the wrong way and that's why Briere publicly made him available to the league. :dunno:
"Briere publicly made him available to the league."

Paranoid nonsense. You'd think other GMs don't read, don't have access to the rumor mill, and are oblivious to the obvious.
Flyers have two premium assets, Hart and TK. Of course Briere will make them available for the right price. That's not exactly rocket science.
You're not rebuilding based on Hayes, Provorov and Laughton trades.

No one else has real value, Couts and Sanheim with their contracts, Atkinson at 34 coming off a shoulder injury, Risto? TDA? Seeler?

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

Paranoid nonsense. You'd think other GMs don't read, don't have access to the rumor mill, and are oblivious to the obvious.
Flyers have two premium assets, Hart and TK. Of course Briere will make them available for the right price. That's not exactly rocket science.

No one else has real value, Couts and Sanheim with their contracts, Atkinson at 34 coming off a shoulder injury, Risto? TDA? Seeler?
I can't disagree and it was depressingly refreshing to hear a Flyers GM give the right balance of "he's available but only for the right price". I will assume the context is that Brière was asked specifically about Hart as a trade target so it wouldn't be that he went out of his way to make this statement.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

What rebuild? What will constitute signify a rebuild in your eyes? Moving Haye and Tony D isnt it.

I do not care what they say. Means nada. Actions will speak do you agree?

Who cares you take the risk. TK and the rest of this losing core needs to be moved.How are you selling low on TK?

Flyers have 4 pieces who they can move to bring back quality assets to start this alleged rebuild. Unless the offers are so bad they should move said players 100%. I do not think they move any of the 4. Ivan will not be moved unless he asks. He hasn't as of yet.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

They are not moving Laughton. Why do you have a hard time believing that?

Hayes will not be back. They will buy him out 100% if they cant move him. That being said what is odd is they have told teams they are not willing to eat 50%. Will that change? Hope so as a buy out is the wrong move and seems dumb not to eat 50% if that opportunity is there.

Hayes is a case of the coach not even trying to work it out. Though many in the organization
have soured on Haye snot just the coach.

Keep an eye on Colten from tampa as a potential trade target.

As for Sanheim I have been told and read he is a legt top pair dman. He is on a great contract for a top pair dman. Teams should be salivating to acquire him on that contract..

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
As for Sanheim I have been told and read he is a legt top pair dman. He is on a great contract for a top pair dman. Teams should be salivating to acquire him on that contract..

Did i miss the sarcasm?

We been watching the same sanheim? we looking at the same contract? that contract is an albatros. He is perhaps one of the most difficult if not the most difficult player to trade right now.$6.25 x 8 for a guy who has done nothing, proved nothing and had a pretty terrible year last season. Not to mention his NTC.

Also despite what we all think about his Hayes, he is coming off a career year. He has only 3 years left on his contract he has some value.

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Did i miss the sarcasm?

We been watching the same sanheim? we looking at the same contract? that contract is an albatros. He is perhaps one of the most difficult if not the most difficult player to trade right now.$6.25 x 8 for a guy who has done nothing, proved nothing and had a pretty terrible year last season. Not to mention his NTC.

Also despite what we all think about his Hayes, he is coming off a career year. He has only 3 years left on his contract he has some value.
He came out of hibernation hoping for this response.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
If Briere finds someone to take Sanheim's contract, that is the biggest win this team has in the past decade.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Did i miss the sarcasm?

I am sure you know what some posters have said and believe about Sanheim. If that is true then he can be moved. A smart savy GM should pounce on it.

Hayes should be able to be moved with some retention. We shall see. Wonder if the Avs would have any interest.

Reactions: Devonator

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim isn't as bad as he looked last season, nor is he as good as some here have suggested over the years.

His issue isn't development, it's that his limitations are physical and they're not going to change.
He's a good north south skater once he gets moving, has good but not top offensive skills.
Lacks great vision or a killer shot. He's not a great finisher in the O-zone, better in transition.
Speed more than quickness. and a smooth skater who can carry the puck but not especially agile, not a lot of "shake and bake."
He's decent defensively where he can use his length, but struggles along the boards and wrestling with PFs (high center of gravity).

Sanheim is a 2nd pair offensive defenseman, who can give you 1.00 pp/60 or so, but is limited on the PP b/c he's not great in short areas (squeezed against the blue line as a PP QB). Probably not worth $6M, but as the cap rises the next few years, his contract will become more attractive.

Reactions: Devonator

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

ASF said on one of his podcasts before that Tortorella wanted Ersson on the opening night roster this year. Management killed it though citing he needed to play as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad