Ben Street GR 31
357 points in 428 AHL games

Travis Morin TEX 34
529 points in 623 AHL games

Austin Cznarnik PRO 25
155 points in 157 AHL games

Zac Dalpe AB 29
216 points in 305 AHL games

Likely some options out of Europe as well.

And like any valuable item on the market which goes on sale, they won't last long. First come, first serve. This is where the Canucks have dragged their feet. I believe Benning and Company are still too busy dealing with the draft, potential UFAs, and possible trade partners to concentrate on the farm's needs. By the time all that dust settles, the good AHL players will be gone. Other franchises prepare for this time period and have management people in charge of meeting those needs. That's why if you name a person to the title of AHL GM you have to let that guy go and work to acquire the needs for the farm. Johnson should be sitting down with Conacher who has an in depth knowledge of the AHL and it's players and Coach Cull who is also aware of the AHL talent. Let these guys work on the farm while Benning and his staff works on the big team.

I really like the European concept. Holm was an example and better than him have been acquired for other AHL teams. Lehigh Valley, Toronto, and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton come immediately to mind and they are by far not alone. Par Lindholm would have been a tremendous acquisition. A 26 yr old center with 4yrs of SHL experience and wouldn't count as an AHL veteran. His 42 points were 4th in the same league led by Pettersson's 56.

Reactions: Ryp37

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Well BGs prayers have been answered!! Apparently the Comets will have a new Radio play by play guy next season as Zilch has either moved on or been let go......

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Well BGs prayers have been answered!! Apparently the Comets will have a new Radio play by play guy next season as Zilch has either moved on or been let go......

I've read the gossip news, but haven't seen anything official. If you love hockey and have spent much of your lifetime listening to broadcasts of your favorite team before TV covered everything and the internet gave people a chance to actually watch most games, you know the most important part of a radio broadcast is having a play by play broadcaster that gives you a pass by pass, shot by shot, and save by save account of the action on the ice. That guy has to be your eyes. You have to have the ability to sit back, close your eyes and see the game take place in your mind. Good play by play guys give you that ability. Brendan Burke did that brilliantly. It truly is an art form. Zilch is so far from a good play by play guy you have to ask yourself what kind of research, if any, went into hiring him in the first place.

Reactions: go comets

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
If this is really the attitude that 'most' Utica fans have about the Comets and their relationship with the Cancuks, then Aquilini should just step in and move the team.

After all, Utica has one of the smallest buildings in the AHL and if the Canucks leave, I can't see a single NHL team wanting to place their AHL team there....particularly when it's 4,000 miles from where your NHL team plays....so Utica can join Adirondack and Manchester in the ECHL.

Fortunately I don't believe for a minute that the rants in these posts represent how the people of Utica really feel about the Comets, the Canucks and AHL hockey in their city.

I hope the team does move to Abbottsford so you can watch Canucks developmental hockey, buy practice season tickets!! You can expect 2 and 3 game home stand weekend sets against the same team. Watch the fantastic prospects in the organization.

Line up get your season tickets !

Give your buddy a call, you don't know anything about the Comets, the AHL or Central New York. I'm sure he'll move the team on account of this forum. Utica fans almost uuniversally hate the Canucks management.

I didn't say the team. I didn't say the city. I didn't say the players. I didn't say the fans.

Several of the Canuck posters have stated they hope Utica loses our team. I'm sorry you all feel that way.

I hope Benning gets fired so the Canucks have a chance to not lose 50 games a season again.

Reactions: John Belushi

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
If this is really the attitude that 'most' Utica fans have about the Comets and their relationship with the Cancuks, then Aquilini should just step in and move the team.

After all, Utica has one of the smallest buildings in the AHL and if the Canucks leave, I can't see a single NHL team wanting to place their AHL team there....particularly when it's 4,000 miles from where your NHL team plays....so Utica can join Adirondack and Manchester in the ECHL.

Fortunately I don't believe for a minute that the rants in these posts represent how the people of Utica really feel about the Comets, the Canucks and AHL hockey in their city.

I'm glad we're 4000 miles from Benning and the idiots that run your franchise. Don't worry about us, when the Canucks leave ......and we all know they will sooner than later......they will not be missed at all.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014

I'm glad we're 4000 miles from Benning and the idiots that run your franchise. Don't worry about us, when the Canucks leave ......and we all know they will sooner than later......they will not be missed at all.
I've read the gossip news, but haven't seen anything official. If you love hockey and have spent much of your lifetime listening to broadcasts of your favorite team before TV covered everything and the internet gave people a chance to actually watch most games, you know the most important part of a radio broadcast is having a play by play broadcaster that gives you a pass by pass, shot by shot, and save by save account of the action on the ice. That guy has to be your eyes. You have to have the ability to sit back, close your eyes and see the game take place in your mind. Good play by play guys give you that ability. Brendan Burke did that brilliantly. It truly is an art form. Zilch is so far from a good play by play guy you have to ask yourself what kind of research, if any, went into hiring him in the first place.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
Based on what? Your hope?

Timberman and other Canuck fans hope Utica loses its team, join the crowd. make sure you line up for those hard to obtain Abbottsford Canucks season tickets.
I don't want Utica to lose it's team and wish them the best.For selfish reasons,i want a Canuck farm team in BC for a change so i can watch on local cable and go to see some games.If i can't have that, then i'm fine with Utica,even though it's not a very convenient situation(4,000 miles).There's more pluses than negatives.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Sorry man, but it makes no sense having a farm team 3 time zones away from the parent team and fan base. You sound salty though. Maybe whatever team shows up there next will make the playoffs more often than what Benning delivered for you guys.

Reactions: timbermen

go comets

Jul 10, 2013

I doubt the Comets had much to choose from. Burke had left for the NHL in mid August, and Zilch was announced less than 2 weeks later. Zilch had been with the Springfield team whom moved to Tuscon and left him behind... The new replacement team from Portland went to Springfield and must have brought in their own people.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I doubt the Comets had much to choose from. Burke had left for the NHL in mid August, and Zilch was announced less than 2 weeks later. Zilch had been with the Springfield team whom moved to Tuscon and left him behind... The new replacement team from Portland went to Springfield and must have brought in their own people.

Hired by default? sad. Very sad.

So, I assume they have had at least 1 year to find a decent replacement.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
2 rounds in the book for the Toronto Marlies. Was surprised to see them sweep the Syracuse Crunch in 4. Comets played them much tougher than that. If Cassels' OT effort goes in it would have been Utica/Syracuse.

Toronto now awaits the winner of Charlotte/Lehigh Valley to play for the Eastern Conference Championship.

They just played the longest AHL playoff game in league history on Wednesday with LV winning it 2-1 in the 5th OT.

Shots were 95 to 53 for Charlotte. They had to be bummed after that one. Especially since it put them down 3-1 in the series. 1st Star went to LV keeper Alex Lyon with 94/95.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I could see that happening as well.
Yes....this makes a lot of sense to me as well...once Seattle is in the NHL, it would make sense for all the Pacific Division teams to have their AHL affiliates in the same time-zone....hope it doesn't happen, because the Utica situation is very good for player development imo....but economics and travel will ultimate dictate what happens.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I would hope so... Every ECHL team has someone looking to move up....

There are also Major NCAA guys who might be looking for a way into the network broadcasting .

There are also AHL guys who could be looking for a change of scenery and Burkie opened the eyes of a lot of them during the 2014-15 playoffs as all of the opponents had broadcast crews in town. You couldn't ask for a better setting to hone your craft. Easy access to the players, coaches, Director of Hockey Operations (Pat Conacher), The GM (Ryan Johnson/whenever you can track him down on his short visits to town) and team President (Robert Esche) on a daily basis. He runs his own show. Gets the title of Director of Communications. Burke has something to do with Marketing as well. Free run of the facilities. Travels with the team on the team bus so he has all the inside info and can explain lots of issues when the team allows the info to be released. Has a fan base who will sing his praises to the heavens if he does his job. Burkie was probably in the top 10 most liked personalities connected to Comets hockey and that includes all of the players. Zilch not so much.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The Comets announced the breakdown of games to be played and the competition they will be playing next season. Can't figure out if OD reporter Birnell was surprised, perplexed as to why, or just trying to make the norm sound like news in his report on the release. Syracuse will once again be the most common opponent with 12 games slated between the 2 and Rochester comes in a close second with 10. They will meet Binghamton and Laval 8 times each while playing Belleville and Toronto 6 times each. Syracuse, Binghamton, and Rochester total 30 of their 76 games and 15 of their 38 road games with the longest ride of 2 hours to Rochester.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Hope you guys didn't forget the cards, flowers, dinner reservations, and special gifts. Not many more important days in the year than this one. Make sure you actually tell her you love her.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
There are also Major NCAA guys who might be looking for a way into the network broadcasting .

There are also AHL guys who could be looking for a change of scenery and Burkie opened the eyes of a lot of them during the 2014-15 playoffs as all of the opponents had broadcast crews in town. You couldn't ask for a better setting to hone your craft. Easy access to the players, coaches, Director of Hockey Operations (Pat Conacher), The GM (Ryan Johnson/whenever you can track him down on his short visits to town) and team President (Robert Esche) on a daily basis. He runs his own show. Gets the title of Director of Communications. Burke has something to do with Marketing as well. Free run of the facilities. Travels with the team on the team bus so he has all the inside info and can explain lots of issues when the team allows the info to be released. Has a fan base who will sing his praises to the heavens if he does his job. Burkie was probably in the top 10 most liked personalities connected to Comets hockey and that includes all of the players. Zilch not so much.

Andy grew on me although he certainly isn't even close to Burkie or Jim Jackson.

Still he wore his Comets heart on his sleeve and truly had the Comets best in him.

Does anyone have a link or source about this?

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014

Still listed on Comets website, although I'm not sure this means anything.
Andy Zilch | Utica Comets Official Website

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
The only good thing about moving the farm team to the lower mainland is that it would be nice to see Aquilini drown in all the red ink.

We can't even support our junior team, let alone an AHL franchise. And we couldn't support our junior team AND an AHL franchise at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad