The Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
a 2 year deal is nice for bachman.
Yes...kinda surprised me too. Goaltending situation will be one to watch at training camp...if Demko lights it up and they can't deal Nilsson, they might lose him on waivers if they try to get him to Utica.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yes...kinda surprised me too. Goaltending situation will be one to watch at training camp...if Demko lights it up and they can't deal Nilsson, they might lose him on waivers if they try to get him to Utica.

Lose who on waivers? Bachman? Nilsson? I think if Nilsson gets sent down, the Canucks wouldn’t be too worried about losing Nilsson to waivers and may even welcome it. I can’t see a team picking up Bachman and keeping him in the NHL. Besides, Bachman is likely to be sent down early on.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
With all of the injuries that both Vancouver and Utica suffered through last season they were very healthy at the goaltender position (knock on wood). But look at what happened in Vegas during the first couple months of the season. The bottom line is they have to keep 4 goalies minimum on NHL contracts next season available on the depth chart. Right now that is exactly what they have with Markstrom, Nilsson, Demko and Bachman. DiPietro doesn't count because he will be in juniors and his contract will slide. All of the talk about Nilsson being traded means that either they will need to bring back another goalie in return or they have to replace him with another free agent goalie signing.

If Demko does push past Nilsson on the depth chart that means Nilsson will need to be exposed to waivers and replace Thatcher as the #1 in Utica. He would likely clear but if he doesn't then there is a real problem because you cannot have only three goalies under NHL contracts. Now you are looking at a situation where the Nucks would be forced to make a trade to pick up a depth goalie that has already cleared waivers and hope they don't have to give up much in return.

Laterade

Feb 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC
If Demko does push past Nilsson we can just sign Garteig to back up Bachman and move Nilsson for a pick. He played very well during the WC and we could flip him to another team like we did with Eddie Lack.

Eddie Lack was worth a 3rd & a 7th round pick. Nilsson could return something similar.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
If Demko does push past Nilsson we can just sign Garteig to back up Bachman and move Nilsson for a pick. He played very well during the WC and we could flip him to another team like we did with Eddie Lack.

Eddie Lack was worth a 3rd & a 7th round pick. Nilsson could return something similar.
Garteig is a mediocre ECHLer. Certainly not the type of player you give a NHL contract. A Markstrom, Demko, Bachman, Garteig depth chart is just asking for trouble.

I think you are severely overrating how much WHC impacts value and underrating how bad Nilsson was in the NHL last season.

Lack garnered a 3rd and 7th after putting up a 0.921 save percentage over 41 games and carrying the Canucks into the playoffs. Nilsson's save percentage last season was 0.901 in 27 games, plus he carries twice the cap hit that Lack did.

There were reasons to believe Lack could take the next step based on NHL performance. Nilsson is a backup with a bloated salary.

If the team I was a fan of gave up a pick for Nilsson instead of signing a cheap UFA goalie, I would be pretty disappointed.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
There hasn't even been any news about bringing Garteig back on another AHL contract. The misconception is that a lot of people see Michael Garteig as a young goalie but his is not. He will be turning 27 in November even though he has only played two pro seasons. He spent four years in the BCHL and another four years in college. I'd guess that it's only a 50/50 chance that the Canucks will offer him another AHL contract to be the ECHL depth goalie and primary AHL call up. They may be better off looking for an undrafted 21 - 23 year old goalie to fill that role. Garteig put up poor numbers in the ECHL last season and never played a minute in the AHL.

There is no way he gets a NHL contract and becomes the 4th goalie on the Canucks depth chart if Nilsson is moved.

Reactions: tyhee

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
With all of the injuries that both Vancouver and Utica suffered through last season they were very healthy at the goaltender position (knock on wood). But look at what happened in Vegas during the first couple months of the season. The bottom line is they have to keep 4 goalies minimum on NHL contracts next season available on the depth chart. Right now that is exactly what they have with Markstrom, Nilsson, Demko and Bachman. DiPietro doesn't count because he will be in juniors and his contract will slide. All of the talk about Nilsson being traded means that either they will need to bring back another goalie in return or they have to replace him with another free agent goalie signing.

If Demko does push past Nilsson on the depth chart that means Nilsson will need to be exposed to waivers and replace Thatcher as the #1 in Utica. He would likely clear but if he doesn't then there is a real problem because you cannot have only three goalies under NHL contracts. Now you are looking at a situation where the Nucks would be forced to make a trade to pick up a depth goalie that has already cleared waivers and hope they don't have to give up much in return.

I think if they do trade Nilsson and intends for Demko being in the NHL, there is no way they don’t bring in a goalie to share the workload with Bachman. My feeling is that if Nilsson does get exposed and gets claimed, it won’t be that hard finding a capable AHL goalie to be assigned over or sign if need be.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
You beat me to the punch. I was about to post when your post popped up! LOL

Darcy is another Utica contract. He is not a vet. He made the Comets out of camp. Then spent the rest of the season in and out of the lineup injured off and on the rest of the season. 46 GP and 6G/18A/24 Points. or just about .5 PPG. He added 3 Pts (1G/1A) in the playoffs.

This has been my fear all along. Chaput, Darcy, and Cassels. That only leaves room for one more center. I guess I could live with it if they sign a true #1 play maker for the first line. Chaput #2, Darcy #3, and Cassels #4.

The better mix would be (?) true #1, Chaput #2, another (?) play maker for #3, Darcy at #4, and Cassels in reserve. Gaudette to start the season would be great, but he would be the first call-up or might even just simply play his way up. Thus, you still need all the guys I have listed and Darcy and Cassels are backups and will get lots of ice and the Comets would actually have some depth up the middle for the first time ever and the Canucks would have Gaudette and Chaput here for their needs. 2 extra centers at both levels. Who'd a thunk it?

I doubt we see Gaudette unless Benning makes him available due to free agent signings. So 2 new free agent play makers to go along with Chaput, Darcy, and Cassels. The talented forwards the Comets should have will need those 2 new play makers.

Other NHL teams have been signing AHL free agents for their farms and lots of older vets out of Europe since May. They are out there, but the longer one waits the lesser level of talent will be available. face it there are no centers in the Vancouver cupboards. They have to go out and get a couple to help their kids grow and excel down here.

I have to be optimistic until Vancouver proves me wrong. That might not take long, but until such time I'll keep hoping.

Given the actions of past seasons, the center situation is feeling unsettling.

Michael Chaput, Cole Cassels, Nick Dowd and Giff Molino are due to become free agents in a week and a half. Molino is nominally listed as a center but has played wing, the other have all been playing at center, Dowd with the Canucks. I've heard no indication of the Canucks' plans for them, or the players' plans.

Among those players signed so far that could be expected to play in Utica at center, we have:

Cam Darcy

That's it. Adam Gaudette can be added if he doesn't make the Canucks but I think the Canucks' intention is to play Gaudette in Vancouver.

There are also a number of players who may have played center in the past but have been wingers in the Canucks' organization-Zack MacEwen, Tyler Motte, Dahlen (a winger the last two years in Sweden, though nominally listed as both wing and center), Yan-Pavel Laplante (generally an ECHL winger), Carter Bancks and Michael Carcone.

It's still early in the summer and the situation may be effectively resolved. In view of recent history it will be interesting to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad