The Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
Touchy much? The entirety of my post should show you I wasn't all that "put out". Yes?

Have a feeling you already knew the answer anyways. You are from out that way. I am 3,000+ miles away if you are driving.
Lol I ain’t touchy at all. Thanks for the info. I just left an appointment and was driving and was genuinely curious

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Reactions: alternate

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Maple leafs do it again. They signed 26 yr old center Par Lindholm to a 1-yr ELC. What do you want to bet he ends up another older experienced Marlie playing as a rookie? This is par for the course for them.

Nah, no reason to pursue him Jim.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
  • Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against their own unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others.[1] For example, a person who is habitually intolerant may constantly accuse other people of being intolerant. It incorporates blame shifting.
Psychological projection - Wikipedia

Read his first post, Doc.

I was a psych major for some time and was employed in a University Psych center for three of those years. My response had nothing to do with projection and it was a bit of sarcasm as I eluded to in my followup post to him.

Hockey needs to start again. These excuses for hockey conversation need to to be over with.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Read his first post, Doc.

I was a psych major for some time and was employed in a University Psych center for three of those years. My response had nothing to do with projection and it was a bit of sarcasm as I eluded to in my followup post to him.

Hockey needs to start again. These excuses for hockey conversation need to to be over with.

Touchy much?

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
I'm glad no one here is the Comets sports psychologist,the whole team would be in the Psyche ward.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Tonight the Toronto Marlies finished their sweep of the Lehigh Valley Phantoms in game 4 of the Eastern Conference Finals. Prior to the Phantoms they also swept the Syracuse Crunch in the North Division Finals. They now enter the Calder Cup Finals having swept all of their opponents along the way except for the Utica Comets who took them to the limit in the best of 5 first round.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Tonight the Toronto Marlies finished their sweep of the Lehigh Valley Phantoms in game 4 of the Eastern Conference Finals. Prior to the Phantoms they also swept the Syracuse Crunch in the North Division Finals. They now enter the Calder Cup Finals having swept all of their opponents along the way except for the Utica Comets who took them to the limit in the best of 5 first round.
So what does this mean?....Comets were actually the "second-best' team in the AHL's Eastern Conference all along?

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
So what does this mean?....Comets were actually the "second-best' team in the AHL's Eastern Conference all along?
To me it means we should be proud of the effort they put forth in the playoffs and should give us hope for next year.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
It means that the Marlies got a lot stronger for game 5 against the Comets when the Leafs sent down Andreas Johnsson and Dermott and haven't looked back.....

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It means that the Marlies got a lot stronger for game 5 against the Comets when the Leafs sent down Andreas Johnsson and Dermott and haven't looked back.....

Correctomundo.

The Comets got their guys back to start the series. They lost the first 2 and then buoyed up by their insane fan base, they scratched out 2 straight wins. Then the Leafs lost out and sent down the 2 aforementioned and the Comets were not even in game #5. The Leafs have since eaten up the #2 team in their own division and the top team from the Atlantic Division.

The Comets finished the season 38-26-8-4 or essentially 38-38 for 4th place in their own division. 6 of the league's 7 worst teams were in the east and 3 of the worst 4 were in the Comets North division. The Comets only managed to finish 19-14 vs those 7 teams. You can bet the second best team in the AHL East would have been a whole lot better vs that bunch and as a result given both Lehigh Valley and Toronto a run for the best the team in the East. That never came close to happening.

Utica did what Utica and their PTOs could do with the set of negative circumstances they had to deal with for the better part of their season. They put up a Hell of a fight in their Playoff appearance and scared the bejesus out of the Marlies, but when push came to shove, the Marlies put the Comets away with barely a whimper.

I have already given the kudos to the coaching staff and the players for their gallant effort, but for sure the better team won the series and has proven such in the next two rounds. The other side is yet to be determined with Texas leading Rockford 3-2. Texas finished second in the Pacific and Rockford was 4th in the Central. Toronto was the best overall in the AHL 22 points better than Texas and 24 better than Rockford.

Toronto is resting and the other 2 are beating each others brains in. That can work both ways for the Marlies. The well rested team ousts the fatigued group or the battle tested group will not be denied and shocks the rested team favorites. Odds will favor the Marlies. However, the games will have to be played on the ice one at a time and the stat sheets get thrown out. I'll be watching this with great interest.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The Utica OD ran an article on the Utica connection to the Vegas Golden Knights:

- Mike Levine played and coached for the Utica College Pioneers. He is a scout and player development rep for Vegas.

- Keith Veronesi and Brittany Usmail are both former Utica Comets vice presidents.

- Vegas player Alex Tuch was born in Syracuse NY and grew up in Baldwinsville, NY, a suburb of the Comets nearby rival Syracuse Crunch.

However, the most important information I extracted from the article for me was the Knights "have open -to-the-public practices".

If anyone from the Comets reads the posts on this site, take notice. The act of CLOSING THE COMETS PRACTICE SESSIONS TO THE PUBLIC last season was UNCONSCIONABLE or more simply put just WRONG! The first 4 years of the Comets existence open practice was the norm. This disservice to the fan base should be reversed for the upcoming season.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It has just been announced that the Canucks have signed 20 yr-old prospect Petrus Palmu to a 3-year ELC. He's a speedy 5'7', 180 lb, LW who doesn't play a small man's game. He was named to the OHL 2nd All-star team for 2016. He wanted to play in Utica last year but was sent back to Finland where he played in the Liiga (Finland's elite league) and scored the most goals by a rookie (19), registered most points by a rookie (36), and was named the LIIGA Rookie of the Year.

I expect he will open the season on the Comets' roster. I have been following his progress since his draft and he is a very exciting player. I can't wait to see this kid play here. I think he's going to be a lot of fun to watch and will quickly become a fan favorite. If the Canucks do this wisely, the top 3 LWs here in October should be Dahlen, MacMaster, and Palmu. Prospects people. Actual prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad