The Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
The only good thing about moving the farm team to the lower mainland is that it would be nice to see Aquilini drown in all the red ink.

We can't even support our junior team, let alone an AHL franchise. And we couldn't support our junior team AND an AHL franchise at the same time.

Interesting thought, as when I think of the pluses and minuses I usually assume that a Canucks AHL affiliate would get fan support in the lower mainland. A WCHL team in Langley and AHL team in Abbotsford might be pushing it, though.

This idea of moving the Canucks' AHL team to the lower mainland or elsewhere comes up every couple of months, frequently enough to be tiresome. As I see it, to oversimplify a bit the pluses and minuses of putting a team in the Fraser Valley are:

Plus: 1. When the Canucks call players up or send them down the travel would, on average, be shorter and easier. 2. The AHL team's general manager would be seen in the building more often and may be inclined to devote more attention to building the AHL roster. 3. The attention of the local media might be sufficient to have the Canucks try for a winning AHL roster instead of primarily using the team as a place to stash NHL depth.

Minus: 1. From a player development standpoint Utica is a much better spot. It has more teams in the area, much less travel and more practice time. Travel for a team in the Fraser Valley or Vancouver would be brutal and would simply have to cut down available time for practice. 2. Utica has an enthusiastic fanbase and hockey is likely their main sports attraction so the players develop in a hockey market but far enough away from the Canucks' media frenzy that the additional stress will be quite a bit less. They are learning to cope with a hockey market without being subjected to the same level of firestorm-another way in which the NHL is a step "up" from the AHL. If the team was in the Lower Mainland or Fraser Valley, then it would get an oversized, unreasonable media frenzy, placing pressure on players that isn't all conducive to developing their games. 3. It's hard to imagine how it makes sense economically to ice a minor pro hockey team where every team you play has to fly to your arena and you have to fly to get to all of your games. I s'pose the players may learn how to cope with a brutal travel schedule, but I'd rather they have the time in their practice rink.

Since historically this management regime has used the Comets more as a place to stash NHL depth than as a place to develop prospects, it would be easy to see them moving the Comets when they can. While when the team was first placed in Utica I had trouble getting my mind around how a place so far away and inconvenient to travel to from Vancouver could make any sense, imo the Canucks have a good situation for player development and should leave the team in Utica and use it to develop prospects.

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
The only good thing about moving the farm team to the lower mainland is that it would be nice to see Aquilini drown in all the red ink.

We can't even support our junior team, let alone an AHL franchise. And we couldn't support our junior team AND an AHL franchise at the same time.
It depends on the economy and the performance of the teams. You want Aquilini to bleed money? Makes total sense. You don’t sound like a fan , more like a spoiled little kid who didn’t remember the 90s and a 60 cent dollar and the Griffiths family selling the team. Or should I say it was taken over by John McCaw.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
It depends on the economy and the performance of the teams. You want Aquilini to bleed money? Makes total sense. You don’t sound like a fan , more like a spoiled little kid who didn’t remember the 90s and a 60 cent dollar and the Griffiths family selling the team. Or should I say it was taken over by John McCaw.

mmmm yes, tell me more stories you've made up about me.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I actually don't think the Comets will move under current management. Linden seems to really like the current arrangement if his words to the media can be trusted. The one main problem with having the Comets in Utica really is the distance between Utica and Comets and the lack of direct flights. It's the longest distance in the league between parent club and affiliate in the AHL and it's not even close.

With that said, Aquilini isn't going to bleed money by moving the team. If they aren't guaranteed to break even they won't move. If they do lose money it would be a miscalculation on their part and they can always move again.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
This story about Jonathan Dahlen is the first I've come across that offers much detail regarding his start to last season and the decision to go back to Sweden, rather than staying with the Comets. From this story, at least, it doesn't sound like there was any conflict with Dahlen within the organization:

Canucks’ top prospects, No. 4: Jonathan Dahlen
I never thought there was conflict in the organization.GM Ryan Johnson deserves a ton of credit for the development of J.Dahlen.It took months for Dahlen to fully recover.In December,Johnson told him to play the rest of the year there, be the best he could be and do great things for that team.The rest is history.J.Dahlen had 14 points in 10 playoff games and Timra qualified to the Swedish !st division from the Alvechkin.Dahlen also played in the Comets playoffs. Comets GM Johnson doesn't get enough credit for the work he's done in Utica.He shows great insight in that interview and is on his way to being one of the best GM's in the AHL.It's a slow process judging a GM,don't even bother until year 5 for a fair assessment.Thats why i won't get on board with the JiM Benning hate or any Ghost hate.

Reactions: coldsteel79

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This story about Jonathan Dahlen is the first I've come across that offers much detail regarding his start to last season and the decision to go back to Sweden, rather than staying with the Comets. From this story, at least, it doesn't sound like there was any conflict with Dahlen within the organization:

Canucks’ top prospects, No. 4: Jonathan Dahlen

Thanks for the link. It does make you give a head a shake hearing a certain poster here paint him as an entitled brat. Dahlen sounds like a good kid to me.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Some signing news.

Good news on McMaster.

The Dirk signing is interesting. He's put in a few years at St. Francis Xavier, and he's 25, so it would be a shock if he turned out to have the slightest NHL upside (which doesn't mean he's a bad signing for Utica).

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I sure as hell hope they are Utica signings because the Canucks better not be wasting contract slots on a guy like Jagger Dirk. For f***s sakes, sign some actual free agent talent for Utica. That said I like MacMaster and he deserves a deal, even NHL if need be

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Why does it say "Canucks" sign? Surely those are Utica signings..?
They are definitely Utica signings. MacMaster can't sign a one year NHL ELC at his age.

No idea why they announce them as Canucks signings. They have done it before as well.

Anyway, nice to see MacMaster signed. I thought he might get some NHL interest after his positive showing in Utica.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Why does it say "Canucks" sign? Surely those are Utica signings..?
My guess is this was worded poorly by the Comets in their social media release. There have been rumors about a shake up in the Comets office staff and maybe some inexperienced employee put out the news release. I'm sure these are AHL contracts.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The Utica Comets web site specifically states that the Comets have signed both MacMaster and Dirk to one year AHL contracts. Am very pleased they got Tanner signed to some kind of deal. The kid played as well if not better than any of the Comets over the final 13 games, 2-5-7. His 4 points in 5 playoff games was only surpassed by Goldobin's 6. So in 18 total GP, he put up 3-8-11 fresh out of NCAA Quinnipiac. Dahlen went pointless in the playoffs. Not knocking Jonathan just putting the efforts of MacMaster in contrast.

Maybeonly having played 18 games made Benning a little leery of extending him and ELC, but with some of the guys he has he signed to ELCs this kid was slighted, e.g.Molino. Maybe if he continues his pace into next season, he will still get one. If he plays like he has and doesn't get signed, you can be sure another team will take a flier on him.

Dirk was obviously nudged in this direction by Vancouver since he is a local boy from B.C. Moynihan and D'Aoust arrived here in similar fashion. Molino and D'Aoust never dressed for a playoff game. Moynihan hasn't managed to get onto the Comets roster in 2 seasons. D'Aoust managed to survive, but is nothing to write homw about. I see Dirk in the same light.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
The Utica Comets web site specifically states that the Comets have signed both MacMaster and Dirk to one year AHL contracts. Am very pleased they got Tanner signed to some kind of deal. The kid played as well if not better than any of the Comets over the final 13 games, 2-5-7. His 4 points in 5 playoff games was only surpassed by Goldobin's 6. So in 18 total GP, he put up 3-8-11 fresh out of NCAA Quinnipiac. Dahlen went pointless in the playoffs. Not knocking Jonathan just putting the efforts of MacMaster in contrast.

Maybeonly having played 18 games made Benning a little leery of extending him and ELC, but with some of the guys he has he signed to ELCs this kid was slighted, e.g.Molino. Maybe if he continues his pace into next season, he will still get one. If he plays like he has and doesn't get signed, you can be sure another team will take a flier on him.

Dirk was obviously nudged in this direction by Vancouver since he is a local boy from B.C. Moynihan and D'Aoust arrived here in similar fashion. Molino and D'Aoust never dressed for a playoff game. Moynihan hasn't managed to get onto the Comets roster in 2 seasons. D'Aoust managed to survive, but is nothing to write homw about. I see Dirk in the same light.
They updated it to read "Ryan Johnson" announced and to specifically say AHL contracts. Earlier in the day the news release on the Comets website said that the Canucks and Jim Benning announce.... This is what led to the confusion.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
They updated it to read "Ryan Johnson" announced and to specifically say AHL contracts. Earlier in the day the news release on the Comets website said that the Canucks and Jim Benning announce.... This is what led to the confusion.

Yeah, I was just updating the post you have iterated.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
They are definitely Utica signings. MacMaster can't sign a one year NHL ELC at his age.

No idea why they announce them as Canucks signings. They have done it before as well.

Anyway, nice to see MacMaster signed. I thought he might get some NHL interest after his positive showing in Utica.

What is the age restriction on that? MacMaster is 22 and Molino signed a 1-year ELC at 23. Both have January birth dates.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Is that Robert Dirk’s son?

Why am I doing your simple research? Google his name and Eliteprospects pops up. At the bottom of his bio it says father - Robert Dirk. So yeppers, he is Robert's son.

I did say his signing was prodded by Vancouver. He's not only a Penticton boy, but his dad is an ex-Canuck. A little nepotistic shot in the dark.

So 2 AHL signings. One who earned it and probably more and the other a proverbial stab in the dark.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
A player has to be 24 as of Sept. 15th to sign a one year ELC.

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Molino's entry level contract was for two years, but he burned a year at the end of 2016-17.

Ah, forgot that contract burnoff. Proved to be ineffective in his one Utica season and could now go unsigned and make another ELC available.

To be honest I'd let that happen with Griffen and also LaBate. If the powers that be have made a very serious assessment and they bring in the 2 centers this team has been missing for 3 years, Cassels is also expendable. However, I would guess they extend him for one more year regardless of what they do with centers.

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
Why am I doing your simple research? Google his name and Eliteprospects pops up. At the bottom of his bio it says father - Robert Dirk. So yeppers, he is Robert's son.

I did say his signing was prodded by Vancouver. He's not only a Penticton boy, but his dad is an ex-Canuck. A little nepotistic shot in the dark.

So 2 AHL signings. One who earned it and probably more and the other a proverbial stab in the dark.

Don’t do any research for me if it puts you out that much. Go scream at a cloud or something

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Don’t do any research for me if it puts you out that much. Go scream at a cloud or something

Touchy much? The entirety of my post should show you I wasn't all that "put out". Yes?

Have a feeling you already knew the answer anyways. You are from out that way. I am 3,000+ miles away if you are driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad