OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 200: Where does the time go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
That's why I do fresh water.

Are salt water critters more beautiful? Without a doubt.

But it's probably about 7 times more difficult to maintain, and costs about 10 times as much (if not more). Just dont have that kind of time. Plus, if you really know what you're doing with freshwater, you can do some really beautiful displays with plants and driftwood, etc...

This is why I went with Koi instead, they are beautiful and pretty good at surviving even in poor conditions. I love the cold and winter but having to deal with the pond in the winter is the only thing that I dont like about it. I have 1 fresh water tank left in the house but will probably be my last one, I find it so much easier to care for the koi that I dont want to be bothered with anything else.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I couldn't bear the strain of this.

When one of my $1.20 Neon Tetras goes belly up, it's a bit easier to take.

There is no doubt that freshwater tanks can be beautiful, especially some CO2 driven planted displays. That said, the incredible diversity of critters that can be housed in a saltwater tank is simply unmatched by freshwater. And really, you don't have to spend that much on fish. A pair of tank bred ocellaris clowns might cost you $20. A trio of anthias might be $45. It's not that bad, but yes, definitely more expensive. But it's not just the fish. It's clams, shrimp, crabs, feather duster worms, starfish, corals, anemones, and the absolutely incredible amount of random critters that live in and on the live rock.

That said, the livestock isn't even my favorite part about saltwater. It's how involved it is. Certainly you can make a freshwater tank quite complicated, but it just can't match saltwater. All the equipment and testing working in tandem to keep certain parameters at certain levels, dialing in lighting for the specific kinds of corals or anemones you have, dialing in the proper amount of flow, understanding the relationship between calcium, alkalinity and magnesium and how those three contribute to coral growth, understanding the effects of pH, of micronutrients on the livestock, the list really goes on. Take a gander at the this article, for instance. I find this so fascinating:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/5/chemistry

or this:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/

And then there is everything I've learned about plumbing, carpentry, electrical that was necessary to really mold a system to fit my exact needs. The amount of tinkering that can be done is never ending. There are always new ideas, new equipment, new possibilities. It's definitely the kind of thing that isn't finished once you have livestock in the tank, and that's what I love. I can constantly learn something new. It's not for everyone, but for me, it's like a drug.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
ESPN (NYSE:DIS) lost another 621K subscribers in October; the worst in its existence as a cable company. Generally, the network has been losing about 300K subscribers per month. ESPN is on track to spend $7.3B in rights fees in 2017, but given its shrinking subscriber base, it may be difficult for it to continue to license the most expensive content.

Good.

I loathe ESPN.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Good.

I loathe ESPN.

Me too.

I used to love it. They covered each sport, highlights were presented colorfully, and had good analysis by one/maybe two guys. I lost it when they shunned hockey, became more TMZ-like, had 9 guys with brain damage talking over each other to give analysis (I'm looking at you NFL pregame), and replicated the Pardon the Interruption format for hours on end.

I used to love PTI because they were entertaining, but I think they jumped the shark when it was becoming obvious that some topics being argued about were preposterous. It almost felt scripted. And ESPN more than double downed on the format. I had enough of the pundits just "taking a position" and "arguing" about a particular topic. How many of these shows can you have?

I get that many people will consume highlights over the internet, but there IS a place for it on TV if you include brief analysis after a particular game's highlights have been shown. NBC is very good at this with their Sunday Night Football broadcast. They need to ditch The View type programming and get back to showing more sports whether some niche sports or just classic games.

The Wall Street pundits keep raving about Star Wars, animated movie franchises, and theme park growth. But when 50% of the revenues come from ESPN and it's hemorrhaging subscribers as it is, it can't be ignored. The decline in NFL ratings has to be another smoking gun. People just don't have the time to watch garbage. It's the reason I sold my shares in it just before Star Wars reboot came out.

The question is, can they convert those lost subscribers into online subscribers? Based upon the after-hours trading, not many seem concerned. I think the company is going to get shellacked on Nov 10 when they report. I wonder if Disney will sell off ESPN if the margins continue to shrink this rapidly.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Me too.

I used to love it. They covered each sport, highlights were presented colorfully, and had good analysis by one/maybe two guys. I lost it when they shunned hockey, became more TMZ-like, had 9 guys with brain damage talking over each other to give analysis (I'm looking at you NFL pregame), and replicated the Pardon the Interruption format for hours on end.

I used to love PTI because they were entertaining, but I think they jumped the shark when it was becoming obvious that some topics being argued about were preposterous. It almost felt scripted. And ESPN more than double downed on the format. I had enough of the pundits just "taking a position" and "arguing" about a particular topic. How many of these shows can you have?

I get that many people will consume highlights over the internet, but there IS a place for it on TV if you include brief analysis after a particular game's highlights have been shown. NBC is very good at this with their Sunday Night Football broadcast. They need to ditch The View type programming and get back to showing more sports whether some niche sports or just classic games.

The Wall Street pundits keep raving about Star Wars, animated movie franchises, and theme park growth. But when 50% of the revenues come from ESPN and it's hemorrhaging subscribers as it is, it can't be ignored. The decline in NFL ratings has to be another smoking gun. People just don't have the time to watch garbage. It's the reason I sold my shares in it just before Star Wars reboot came out.

The question is, can they convert those lost subscribers into online subscribers? Based upon the after-hours trading, not many seem concerned. I think the company is going to get shellacked on Nov 10 when they report. I wonder if Disney will sell off ESPN if the margins continue to shrink this rapidly.

ESPN insider is a joke. Anyone who pays for it is wasting their money.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
ESPN(ABC) losing World Cup soccer to Fox hurts and the fact NBCSN's coverage of Premier League soccer is amazing doesn't help.

Thing is ESPN is light years ahead of Fox when it comes to soccer. This is mainly because of who they put in the booth.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Putin grows scarier with each passing day.

Dude seems to be on track to return Russia into communism as his continues to restrict Russian citizen's access to information from, "the outside world".

U.S. senior intelligence officials told NBC News the Russian leader is planning to replace all foreign software with domestic alternatives, and has already blocked LinkedIn, which was bought by Microsoft

EDIT: In the "blocking websites vein", do we have Russia-based posters anymore? I feel like I havent seen any in a long time.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
its got to suck losing a finger because you know that every time you meet someone new that person will be itching to know "how the **** did you lose your finger" but wont have the balls to ask…..and you both know it

-theo bewstakin

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I ordered $25 worth of Ramen noodles that were supposed to be here today but aren't and now I'm both hungry and upset.

I can't find the roast chicken flavor anywhere so I had to order it online. Roast chicken is so much better than regular chicken, I think it's the seasoning.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
I ordered $25 worth of Ramen noodles that were supposed to be here today but aren't and now I'm both hungry and upset.

I can't find the roast chicken flavor anywhere so I had to order it online. Roast chicken is so much better than regular chicken, I think it's the seasoning.

This guy was made famous on youtube and other media outlets because of Ramen. Claims he spent 15 years eating Ramen 6 days a week:laugh:. A lot of bad language though.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The bag gestapo at Rutgers wouldn't let me in until I disclosed I have a medical condition. The bag in question is one of those cinch sacks that are frequently given out at sports events and I've never had a problem anywhere with them. Officer Barbrady at the gate informed me that they only let in bags the size of someone's hand. Why the worst team in all of major college football makes getting into a game such a hassle is beyond me. This place is probably" one and done" for me.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
My phone got soaked and isn't turning on, any tricks to fix it? Took the sim card out and put it in dry rice for a few hours but still not working.

iPhone 6 if that matters, only had it about four months, it isn't paid off and I can't afford a new one. Hoping someone has a magic bullet for me.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
My phone got soaked and isn't turning on, any tricks to fix it? Took the sim card out and put it in dry rice for a few hours but still not working.

iPhone 6 if that matters, only had it about four months, it isn't paid off and I can't afford a new one. Hoping someone has a magic bullet for me.

I dropped my iphone 5 in water and pulled it right out then put it in an electric oven (gas has moisture in it) on a towel and baked for and hour at lowest setting (150) then put in front of a fan overnight.

It worked fine until I upgraded like a year later after that.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
My older sister put her phone in a bag of rice after it got wet, and she was able to get it working again. I'd give that a shot if you haven't already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad