OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 200: Where does the time go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
14610974_10111955989867354_859928745819223327_n.jpg

I'm actually pretty proud of this stand and canopy. I'm no carpenter or woodworker so it's definitely not without it's flaws, but this is probably the best I've ever done. To build something myself definitely brings a level of satisfaction that's unattainable any other way.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Looks good! Is that a fish tank in the middle?

I took wood shop in high school. I loved it. I still have my coffee table. That thing is so solidly built, the Dudleys would kill somebody with it. :laugh:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Nice - now put a solid piece inside the panel and it will look PIMP

sorta like this

http://www.lombardowoodworkingllc.com/uploads/6/3/7/6/6376409/1529902_orig.jpg

I like that. I'll have to take it into consideration. I don't want the panels to be too heavy, though, as they are all held onto the skeleton of the stand by magnets. Since I plan to have the bulk majority of the filtration under the stand and wanted easy access to the inside, but doors weren't an option because the spot it's going in is a bit tight. This way I can just pop the sides off and pop them back on when I'm done. The canopy on top of the tank is the same, which allows easy access to the tank and lighting.

Looks good! Is that a fish tank in the middle?

I took wood shop in high school. I loved it. I still have my coffee table. That thing is so solidly built, the Dudleys would kill somebody with it. :laugh:

It is a fish tank! A 60 gallon cube which a couple months down the road will be a saltwater reef.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Scott N. does too - but he can't remember why.
LOW BLOW! But a good one though!:laugh:

I hate Tie Domi

Seeing him and Dano last year, laughing and giggling like old friends just felt so dirty and wrong.

Felt like a WWE angle or something, where guys who hated each other forever, then align with each other. Only most of the time (certainly not all the time) a lot of those guys really were friends backstage and off camera.

Kind of felt like Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart, after their first encounter following the Montreal Screwjob. Obviously there was no hug and Dano and Domi probably didn't legit hate each other to the level Bret and HBK did.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY

I'm actually pretty proud of this stand and canopy. I'm no carpenter or woodworker so it's definitely not without it's flaws, but this is probably the best I've ever done. To build something myself definitely brings a level of satisfaction that's unattainable any other way.

A little big no? Doubt Lundqvist fills it.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Looks good!

I am (more like was) a carpenter but I'm not much for building things when I'm not getting paid for them.

One day, like when I save or win a couple thousand dollars, I will finish remodeling my 1980 era Golden Girls style kitchen. I almost wish it was the avocado colored and style kitchens, from just a few years before. The one's that were big in the mid 70's. They seemed to have aged better than this wood paneling and these cabinets.

I actually wouldn't have minded knotty pine. It's way outdated but it doesn't look as bad in my opinion. This house was built in 1980, knotty pine stopped being used (For the most part) in the 60's or so. There are rare exceptions though.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

oh **** off with the humble ****,

thats excellent work and yes, you should have that kind of satisfaction

ive lived it myself this summer chickenizing a coop….obligatory **** picture:

keep doing this forever. its fun

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Two things: 1. I hate hoods on tanks. Absolutely hate them. I'd always rather have a completely open top. But we will soon have a Bengal cat roaming the house and they are notorious for causing disasters with open top tanks. 2. Lets be honest, the whole thing could be filled by Lundqvist's left leg pad riser.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
oh **** off with the humble ****,

thats excellent work and yes, you should have that kind of satisfaction

ive lived it myself this summer chickenizing a coop….obligatory **** picture:

keep doing this forever. its fun

That coop is pretty nice! I have known a surprising number of people over the years that kept chickens.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Big? Nonsense. My brother has a 100 gallon tank, and my dream is to have a good 200 gallon freshwater tank someday. A school of 50 Neon Tetras would be a thing to behold.

I hate hoods on tanks. Absolutely hate them. I'd always rather have a completely open top.

As in totally open? You'd get suicides occasionally.

That coop is pretty nice! I have known a surprising number of people over the years that kept chickens.

Another dream of mine. Lots of predators where I am though. Foxes galore, hawks, a bald eagle nest less than a half mile away, and just last Saturday while hunting I saw the largest coyote I've ever seen in my life. Probably not a good idea.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

thanks

it has 3 nesting boxes on back that open to get the eggs from the outside and i added door to the run to get inside to clean/let them out to free range

also the shingles are obviously not done

at night they go in on their own and i lock it down.... when predators come around they get caught in a live trap

plenty of raccoons and a few possums have new homes several kilometers away now

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Big? Nonsense. My brother has a 100 gallon tank, and my dream is to have a good 200 gallon freshwater tank someday. A school of 50 Neon Tetras would be a thing to behold.

As in totally open? You'd get suicides occasionally.

Another dream of mine. Lots of predators where I am though. Foxes galore, hawks, a bald eagle nest less than a half mile away, and just last Saturday while hunting I saw the largest coyote I've ever seen in my life. Probably not a good idea.

My dream would be a 300 plus gallon center room shallow reef tank. I'd drill holes in the floor and run all the plumbing to the basement which I would dedicate to equipment.

As for jumpers, it's largely dependant on your stock choices. Certain fish like gobies or blennies are prone to jumping, but others really arent. I only ever lost one clown fish for that reason. But if I have potential jumpers I put a clear mesh screen top on that either fits in the frame of a framed tank or on top of a frame less tank. The hood does eliminate those concerns which I suppose is one of a very few benefits of it over an uncovered tank. I should mention this, as all my aquariums, will be a saltwater reef tank.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
My dream would be a 300 plus gallon center room shallow reef tank. I'd drill holes in the floor and run all the plumbing to the basement which I would dedicate to equipment.

That's what my brother has, not sure of the size but it's pretty damn big, 5-6 six feet long. with all his pluming and filtration set up in the basement. I'll see if I can find some pics.

This came up a few years ago, not sure if it was you or another poster on here that was making their own tank. Looks really good!

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
That's what my brother has, not sure of the size but it's pretty damn big, 5-6 six feet long. with all his pluming and filtration set up in the basement. I'll see if I can find some pics.

This came up a few years ago, not sure if it was you or another poster on here that was making their own tank. Looks really good!

I'm sure it was me :laugh:

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

That looks awesome! Post some more pictures when you have the tank completely setup. I have flirted with the idea of starting a salt water tank but I know how much work it is so I've been lazy about it. Plus I built a massive outdoor koi pond myself a few years ago that's over 8k gallons so that has kept me from wanting to do anymore work lol

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

That would be amazing.

I'd also like to get a large, picture-sized (square) tank, and embed it in the wall on a sliding rail for access, then put a wooden picture frame around it. I love those.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The salt water fish were such a task to take care of.

That's why I do fresh water.

Are salt water critters more beautiful? Without a doubt.

But it's probably about 7 times more difficult to maintain, and costs about 10 times as much (if not more). Just dont have that kind of time. Plus, if you really know what you're doing with freshwater, you can do some really beautiful displays with plants and driftwood, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad