OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 200: Where does the time go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Are there no threads on here to discuss it?

Not on this board. I think there is something on one of the main boards somewhere. RG could probably point you in the correct direction. I've never been there, though, as I try to stay as far away from politics as possible.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Not on this board. I think there is something on one of the main boards somewhere. RG could probably point you in the correct direction. I've never been there, though, as I try to stay as far away from politics as possible.

Yeah I normally try to as well but this is major news so just was looking for the right place before posting anything.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Thank you!

No problem!

RG had to help me navigate it when I asked last time. I had been there before, but wasn't sure how I had gotten there in the past and forgot about it.

I've never posted there, nor do I have any interest in posting there. Just like to read posts in there sometimes to see what people are saying.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Greatest. Ballot. Initiative. Ever.

Two nonbinding votes in the Florida Keys over whether to release genetically modified mosquitoes appear to be split: 58 percent of the county voted to release the mosquitoes somewhere on the islands, while 65 percent of the residents on the island where the release is proposed to take place voted against the experiment, according to a local paper, the FL Keys News. The final decision will be made by the Mosquito Control Board; three of the five members have said they would go with the will of the public. With the vote on the two measures split, it’s not clear whether the release will happen.

Key Takeaway:

If you live somewhat near where the genetically modified super-mosquitoes are released, you're likely a "YES" voter, but if you live right on top of where the genetically modified super-mosquitoes are released, you're likely a "NO" voter.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Greatest. Ballot. Initiative. Ever.

Key Takeaway:

If you live somewhat near where the genetically modified super-mosquitoes are released, you're likely a "YES" voter, but if you live right on top of where the genetically modified super-mosquitoes are released, you're likely a "NO" voter.

They should just release them anyways

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Genetically modified in what way? For what purpose?

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/11/florida-voters-weigh-gm-mosquito-releases-what-are-issues

tl;dr:

They're essentially male (ie non-biting) mosquitoes that mate with normal female mosquitos. When this happens the females die due to a suicide gene that was introduced.

The goal is to reduce populations of potentially Zika-containing female mosquitoes (ie can bite and transfer the disease).

Not without flaws, but the drawbacks are pretty few and far between since >95% would die and any that survived would be immediately out-competed due to natural selection.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
first egg yesterday!!!

(from indeterminate chicken) …..although the back left one has a look of horror on her face so…..

IMG_0952.jpg

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
nice.

We've thought about converting our garden in the back yard into a hen house. I'd rather be going out to pick up fresh eggs rather than tomatoes and zucchini myself.

do both. keep the garden and keep hens if you have the room.

second egg plopped out today. i dont think this should keep up though with the low light days coming up…….figured first eggs would start in spring if i havent seen them by now….but it happened! :laugh:

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
Am i the only one confused by that BK 89cent pancakes commercial? Dude would rather hug a shark then pay 89cents. Are they that disgusting you'd risk death to save less then a buck.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Congrats; cant wait to one day have chickens. Seems like everyone's getting into the chicken game lately. I see coops everywhere I travel.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I like chickens and ''Farm'' type animals/pets. I wanted some turkeys and goats. My friend used to have them at his mom's house. A couple of the goats wound up getting attacked by something out there.:(

Not sure if it was a fox or something.

Am i the only one confused by that BK 89cent pancakes commercial? Dude would rather hug a shark then pay 89cents. Are they that disgusting you'd risk death to save less then a buck.

I've seen that commercial once, but didn't really pay attention to it.

Most commercials are very DUMB. It's like no matter what, every business or corporation HAS to make a dumb commercial if they make one. Or one with an intolerably horrible song.

I think the John Leguizamo Optimum commercial is dumb, but I like that one for some reason. It's one of the rare commercials that I enjoy. I also REALLY enjoyed ''The Settlers'' themed commercials from Directv. We don't see them anymore, they only had them for like 2 or 3 months but they made about 4 or 5, maybe even 6 of them. 5 or 6 different one's.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I also REALLY enjoyed ''The Settlers'' themed commercials from Directv. We don't see them anymore, they only had them for like 2 or 3 months but they made about 4 or 5, maybe even 6 of them. 5 or 6 different one's.

I agree, those were pretty clever.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I agree, those were pretty clever.

I really enjoyed them, and I don't enjoy many commercials at all.

Speaking of commercials, Christmas time usually provides for far too many suspect and annoying ones.

I had a slight soft spot for the Michael Bolton commercials for Honda though. It's almost like he was poking fun at himself in those commercials. I thought it was hilarious how a dude that hadn't had a hit in 20-25 years was the official spokesperson for Honda during Christmas a few years back. I thought they were abysmal at first, then they started to grow on me.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I got nothing going on. At least nothing that anyone might find interesting. Seems kinda paradoxical. Like why does a car park in a driveway and drive on a parkway

If I got nothing going on, does it belong in the thread about nothing?

Goldman Sachs is the only reason the Dow is up so much. There has to be a correction soon.

John Glenn died. That's pretty sad.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I got nothing going on. Seems kinda paradoxical. Like why does a car park in a driveway and drive on a parkway

If I got nothing going on, does it belong in the thread about nothing?

Goldman Sachs is the only reason the Dow is up so much. There has to be a correction soon.

John Glenn died. That's pretty sad.

Why is a vegetarian someone who eats vegetables but a humanitarian is not someone who eats humans? That's always one of my favorites haha.

I remember when John Glenn went to space again in 98 and he was pretty old then. R.I.P. to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->