OT: The Thread About Nothing Part 200: Where does the time go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
My phone got soaked and isn't turning on, any tricks to fix it? Took the sim card out and put it in dry rice for a few hours but still not working.

iPhone 6 if that matters, only had it about four months, it isn't paid off and I can't afford a new one. Hoping someone has a magic bullet for me.

The rice trick works, but it takes longer than a few hours. I've give that a go again, but for 24 hours. If you have one, you could also try a food dehydrator on the lowest setting (typically about 100 degrees).

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Oh man. Might have to get one for myself. I can't imagine how ancient it must look to the eyes of someone accustomed to today's video games.

I still have my nintendo and most of my games. I've been meaning to attempt to finally beat Ninja Gaiden II.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I still have my nintendo and most of my games. I've been meaning to attempt to finally beat Ninja Gaiden II.

I pawned the system and all my games for quick cash when I was 16. God I was dumb. And I realize I was even dumber when I realized how much my dad paid for them and how much I got in return. $50 for a game in 1987 is like $110 now.

NGII was so ****ing hard.

Turtles 1, Contra, The Simpsons, and Castlevania were impossible.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I pawned the system and all my games for quick cash when I was 16. God I was dumb. And I realize I was even dumber when I realized how much my dad paid for them and how much I got in return. $50 for a game in 1987 is like $110 now.

NGII was so ****ing hard.

Turtles 1, Contra, The Simpsons, and Castlevania were impossible.

not really. :sarcasm: ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA …finished that game countless times as a kid,….for me zelda 2 was impossible (never did finish it) but loved the game

this new box is missing contra and 2 others though. ice hockey (2 fat, 1 medium, 1 skinny) and tecmo super bowl….sure tecmo bowl is there but 'super' was the **** when it came to football

****in bo jackson :laugh:

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was quite the video game addict back in the day.

I don't even think my Super Nintendo system works anymore, but I keep it because I like collecting fossils and other such artifacts.

I tried playing a Super Nintendo game (Super Mario Bros number whatever) on my computer recently and I'm too slow to get used to the correct buttons on the keyboard.

I was so used to playing it on Nintendo and Super NES. I did have a Game Boy years ago and Game Boy Advanced in the early 2000's. After battling Nintendo and Sega, etc, addiction, I relapsed when I got a Game Boy Advance. It was fun when on airplanes, taking a break at work, playing during intermission's at Devils games.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I was quite the video game addict back in the day.

I don't even think my Super Nintendo system works anymore, but I keep it because I like collecting fossils and other such artifacts.

I tried playing a Super Nintendo game (Super Mario Bros number whatever) on my computer recently and I'm too slow to get used to the correct buttons on the keyboard.

I was so used to playing it on Nintendo and Super NES. I did have a Game Boy years ago and Game Boy Advanced in the early 2000's. After battling Nintendo and Sega, etc, addiction, I relapsed when I got a Game Boy Advance. It was fun when on airplanes, taking a break at work, playing during intermission's at Devils games.

I still carry my DS around with me. One day I'm going to invest the effort into beating Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest. Maybe right after I finally finish Birthright...

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I still carry my DS around with me. One day I'm going to invest the effort into beating Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest. Maybe right after I finally finish Birthright...

I have never played such new devices before haha.

I really have no interest in learning new game devices right now, but I could easily see myself relapsing if someone gave me an old Super NES or original NES or one of the early Game Boy's or the one I had in the early 00's.

It all started because my then girlfriend bought me one for Christmas. She was like ''You told me how much you loved Nintendo's and stuff when you were younger!'' and it was a sweet gesture, but I immediately gave her a ''Ugh!'' look when I opened it. Almost like when you're a little kid and you open up a tacky sweater that some relative sent you. Which upset her a little bit, because she thought I didn't like her gift.

Then I started playing it every day, all the time, at her house, whenever I had her over. She's the one who did it to me, that's why I gave her the less enthused look when opening it.:laugh:

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Oh man. Might have to get one for myself. I can't imagine how ancient it must look to the eyes of someone accustomed to today's video games.

Many of today's video games stink. Yes, the graphics are 1000 times better, but everything else takes a back seat, like the game is simply an afterthought. It's like they think it's more important to artistically try to create reality with graphics, yet the details dont seem matter at all. I saw a commercial the other day for a WWI video game, and the guns the troops were all carrying appeared to be semiautomatic.....in World War One.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Many of today's video games stink. Yes, the graphics are 1000 times better, but everything else takes a back seat, like the game is simply an afterthought. It's like they think it's more important to artistically try to create reality with graphics, yet the details dont seem matter at all. I saw a commercial the other day for a WWI video game, and the guns the troops were all carrying appeared to be semiautomatic.....in World War One.

You must be talking about Battlefield 1. I played it and half the time I'm like "this is completely ridiculous for a WWI era game". I blame the constant barrage of COD games for it. It's not so much about realism as it is mindless entertainment for people with short attention spans.

Jesus I'm getting old.:laugh:

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
You must be talking about Battlefield 1. I played it and half the time I'm like "this is completely ridiculous for a WWI era game". I blame the constant barrage of COD games for it. It's not so much about realism as it is mindless entertainment for people with short attention spans.

Jesus I'm getting old.:laugh:

I anxiously await their Revolutionary War game complete with helicopters and tanks.

JRZ DVLS

Try Brubag*****
Feb 21, 2007
NC,ILL,NorNJ,Roch
www.brubag.com
not really. :sarcasm: ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA …finished that game countless times as a kid,….for me zelda 2 was impossible (never did finish it) but loved the game

this new box is missing contra and 2 others though. ice hockey (2 fat, 1 medium, 1 skinny) and tecmo super bowl….sure tecmo bowl is there but 'super' was the **** when it came to football

****in bo jackson :laugh:
I am right there with you...
Add excitebike too... You could make your own track!!
my favs were
Techmo (both)
Mega man
Contra

I believe they missed it without having these on the system.
EDI* So excitebike and Mega man 2 are on there.

I wonder how they chose the games to add?

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Ninja Gaiden was so hard. Those freakin eagles. :laugh:

Did anyone have the Friday the 13th NES game? It was hard and tedious to the point of awfulness, but I remember being obsessed with it. Good memories of rainy summer afternoons spent playing it with friends and my sister. It had a spooky atmosphere, especially when you'd get lost in the woods after dark. Brutally hard and repetitive, though. I beat it once, it just sends you back to the beginning, with everything harder.

Jersey Man

Mad Dog
Oct 20, 2008
New York, NY
Voted for the first time physically in a polling station today. Last election, technically first election I was eligible to vote in, I had to fax in my vote because of Sandy.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY
Not sure if serious? There were plenty of Semiautomatic weapons in WW1.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Not sure if serious? There were plenty of Semiautomatic weapons in WW1.

No there weren't. Not on an infantry level. There were machine guns, but grunts carrying semiautomatic weapons would have been pretty rare, and if/when encountered (if ever) there wouldn't have been hundreds of people all clustered with them on both sides like that game depicts.

Early semis were crappy, and quickly stopped running when they got dirty and/or dry, which is a bit of a problem when laying in dirt 24 hours a day in trench warfare. They were also crazy expensive and very slow to manufacture for the time. I think the French did it first (not 100% on that) at the very end of WWI, but production was extremely limited due to the complexity and few were made.

For all intents and purposes, the first semiautomatic rifle commonly used as a standard troop weapon was the M1, by America in WWII. Even then, it took several years for them to get significant production going, so at the beginning of WWII, a lot of Americans carried the M1903 (the US sniper's rifle in Saving Private Ryan) because they didnt have enough M1s. I own a relatively early 5-digit M1 (64,xxx) which is September 1940, but production started in mid-1937. I also own a 3,4xx,xxx which is December 1944. So in the first three years we made 64k, and in the next four years they made 3.5 Million!

EDIT: The short version is, even in WWII over 20 years later, America was the only nation that armed its' troops with a semiautomatic rifle on any significant level. The Russians wanted to, but they couldnt make enough as it was a complicated manufacture, especially after Germany invaded, so their troops relied on the bolt-action Mosin-Nagant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino