The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I have 4 of the Elite 8 teams remaining, including Villanova and Duke, who are my only FF candidates. Gonzaga was a big loss for me. I had them losing in the Finals. My left side of the bracket is gone, Michigan was the last winner that I could get. This tourney has been crazy. I was tied for first after 9 games, then went as low as 165th. Now I am back to 59th with last night's results. I am sure that I am out of the money this year.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I take it back, I'm now in first place :)

Congrats!

The Duke loss killed me in the much smaller second pool (same picks as the big one). It is winner take all and I will come in second.

In the big pool I went down to 98th. I probably can't make the top 25. Most of the top 10 have Duke or Virginia winning, which is odd. I can only get points via Villanova, my only FF team and my projected winner. I had Michigan winning 3 games then losing to Gonzaga. I had Loyola winning one game and losing to TN, who would lose to Cincinnati. Virginia killed me, originally I had them winning it all, then cut them back to the FF with their #6 player out.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I'm going to finish second because one person took Nova over Michigan (how???)

Still $100 after paying no attention to CBB for several years. Didn't even watch a single game in this tournament lol

Sounds like how I usually do for the Kentucky Derby

My son won his pool tonight and made $250

Reactions: Legionnaire11

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
To steal a question I saw on Twitter today (before the game)......Is Villanova a blueblood program?

remains to be seen. Two titles in three years is impressive but look at UConn.. it can all come apart

Blueblood programs have staying power beyond a single decade and most importantly beyond a single coach.

As badly as Duke always seems to play when coach K is out, Im very interested to see what becomes of Duke when he finally retires

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I would Google but who knows what would come back in the return...

What is a blueblood program? I've been following college basketball for near 40 years and have never heard that term. Granted I stopped following quite as closely over the last decade or so as I despise the current one and done phenomenon. Maybe it's a term that has been around for a long time I never picked up on it?

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
I would Google but who knows what would come back in the return...

What is a blueblood program? I've been following college basketball for near 40 years and have never heard that term. Granted I stopped following quite as closely over the last decade or so as I despise the current one and done phenomenon. Maybe it's a term that has been around for a long time I never picked up on it?

Teams that have had multiple championships and sustained success for many, many years.

Kentucky, Duke, UNC, UCLA, Kansas, etc.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Teams that have had multiple championships and sustained success for many, many years.

But why is the term "blue blood"? Specifically because Kentucky/Duke/UNC... blue?

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
But why is the term "blue blood"? Specifically because Kentucky/Duke/UNC... blue?

Blue blood is an English idiom recorded since 1834 for noble birth or descent; it is also known as a translation of the Spanish phrase sangre azul, which described the Spanish royal family and other high nobility who claimed to be of Visigothic descent,[12] in contrast to the Moors. The idiom originates from ancient and medieval societies of Europe and distinguishes an upper class (whose superficial veins appeared blue through their untanned skin) from a working class of the time. The latter consisted mainly of agricultural peasants who spent most of their time working outdoors and thus had tanned skin, through which superficial veins appear less prominently.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

I would argue UCLA hasn't been a blueblood since the 70s.(and really never was other than the amazing Wooden run)

UK, UNC, Duke, Kansas are the teams that have won multie titles over multiple decades and (Duke notwithstanding) with multiple coaches. There has also never been a prolonged period(at least not in about 40 years) when they were not good.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Blueblood is a term used to describe royalty.

Edit... I see jumbo covered it much better than I did

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
And I would add Louisville as a blueblood but once the NCAA gets done with them they will be more like a blood clot than blueblood

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
You guys seem to be overly familiar with this from a sports perspective so I'm now pretty annoyed that I have never really heard the term used in that context until recently. :)

I really don't remember anyone ever using the term before when I watched regularly through the 80/90s/00s. I'll just assume I never heard it or it didn't really catch on as a term used to describe our sporting programs until somewhat recently (within the last decade).

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
You guys seem to be overly familiar with this from a sports perspective so I'm now pretty annoyed that I have never really heard the term used in that context until recently. :)

I really don't remember anyone ever using the term before when I watched regularly through the 80/90s/00s. I'll just assume I never heard it or it didn't really catch on as a term used to describe our sporting programs until somewhat recently (within the last decade).

Whatever makes you sleep better at night:cool:

Reactions: LCPreds

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
No I wouldn't put Nova in that category yet. A long way from it actually, they could easily slip back to mediocre, especially after Wright leaves. Of course being my home team (Delco!) I'd love to see them stay on top, and if the coach sticks around for a while then who knows.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
UCLA’s and Kansas’s primary color is also Blue BTW. No Blue is a color of royalty.

Villanova is a notch below the “blue blood” level like UConn and Florida all of those programs don’t have the history that the blue bloods have imo. When I think of a blue blood program I think of double digit final fours multiple NC’s over several decades.

Last edited:
Reactions: PredsV82

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
SHTE938-BLACK-AT.jpg

The new Titans jerseys represent the way the team drafts, plays, and treats it’s fans well.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I think other than the numbers looking a little big, the uniforms are okay. But as I said with our new ones, that were trashed all the same, many people don't like new jerseys but they eventually get used to them.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I actually liked them a lot more than I thought I would after seeing the leak. I bet they'll be nice in action!

Edit to add: I didn't like the leak at first because of the shoulders, but seeing the full set and realizing it's a sword on the shoulder is cool. I think the new helmet looks sleek and should definitely grow on people over time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig