The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they even sell this many LOLtitans tickets?

jkyMYmP.jpg

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
The Titans have sold out all but a handful of games since they built the new stadium.
Selling out is not equal to the amount the actually show up. Last seasons finale vs Houston had less actual fans than a Tuesday night Predators game! People have to buy tickets to keep their PSL's but it's embarrassing how many don't use them.
Last years games vs Green Bay and Minnesota should have been counted as road games!!

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Selling out is not equal to the amount the actually show up. Last seasons finale vs Houston had less actual fans than a Tuesday night Predators game! People have to buy tickets to keep their PSL's but it's embarrassing how many don't use them.
Last years games vs Green Bay and Minnesota should have been counted as road games!!
Every one of my team's home games for the last decade should have been counted as road games and will continue to be that way. Such is the consequence of being an inconsistent team playing in an awesome destination city that draws opposing fans, and playing in a city with a lot of transplants.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
The Titans have no problem selling tickets. People just don't show up because the team has sucked. Not sure how many of you remember how difficult/expensive it was to get tickets when the team first got here and through most of the 00s but we could be on the verge of that occurring again.

I'm just glad the Preds had the chance to grow within the market while the Titans were down. It hopefully allowed the base to grow solid enough to withstand some inevitable down years we will experience at some point down the road.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Every one of my team's home games for the last decade should have been counted as road games and will continue to be that way. Such is the consequence of being an inconsistent team playing in an awesome destination city that draws opposing fans, and playing in a city with a lot of transplants.
I will never get used to hearing "Los Angeles Chargers" it is just wrong.
I understand the destination city thing but it looks and sounds bad when Mariota throws a pick 6 and 70% of the stadium is standing in purple and cheering!!
Plus San Diego fans had a reason to not give their money to a crook owner that wanted to move the team.

Win and the fans will pack the place and go crazy. 99-04 it was hard to find a better home atmosphere in the NFL.
I agree with this but the team could have been more welcoming to the fans also. The Predators (even under Leipold) never treated the fans with disregard.
My understanding was the Titans didn't open gates for fans and their consessions were horrible.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
My understanding was the Titans didn't open gates for fans and their consessions were horrible.

is this all just based on something you've heard and not actually experienced? I've been to several Titans games since they arrived in Nashville and can't understand what 'didn't open gates for fans' even means.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
is this all just based on something you've heard and not actually experienced? I've been to several Titans games since they arrived in Nashville and can't understand what 'didn't open gates for fans' even means.
There were a lot of fan complaints about concessions and security and in 2015 the Titans fired those companies and hired new ones and the complaints have gone way down. I think the company was Aramark.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN

That happened during a soccer match between the US and Guatemala in June of 2015. They didn't staff properly and only had one entrance open according to reports. http://wkrn.com/2015/07/22/titans-aramark-share-blame-for-soccer-game-issues/

I wasn't there but I remember people complaining about it and there were also complaints that the same thing happened at a meet the team type event later on in the summer. It may not have happened at an NFL game, however. Apparently these problems hinged on the use of volunteers to staff the concessions/gates and they didn't show en masse. Whose fault was that? No clue. But I know having untrained groups used to really slow things down at the arena, too. That seems to have gone by the wayside, or the same groups always man certain concession stands.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
George Plaster did a whole show on the Titans treatment of fans and one of the major complaints was they didn't open some of the gates before the game and created long lines entering the stadium. Along with the concessions being inadequate. As I said I haven't attended a Titans game since they were the Oilers, so I am only hearing this 2nd hand. The US Soccer game a few years ago was a eye opener and from what I understand the team has improved in fan relations now.

I would not mind attending a game but NFL Football is made for TV and I'd rather spend my money on Predators tickets anyways.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
George Plaster did a whole show on the Titans treatment of fans and one of the major complaints was they didn't open some of the gates before the game and created long lines entering the stadium. Along with the concessions being inadequate. As I said I haven't attended a Titans game since they were the Oilers, so I am only hearing this 2nd hand. The US Soccer game a few years ago was a eye opener and from what I understand the team has improved in fan relations now.

I would not mind attending a game but NFL Football is made for TV and I'd rather spend my money on Predators tickets anyways.

I think they started paying more attention to the way the Preds do business after Plaster's rant because people were calling in to say, yeah, this is how they (Preds) do it--don't think because you're football that you can just let these things slide. I hope it's better now. It's is to everyone's benefit that activities are fun and safe to attend.

I have to agree about NFL being made for TV. Besides the obvious chance for inclement weather, video shows football plays better than watching live and gives you something to do while waiting for them to set up the next play. It's pretty much the exact opposite of NHL hockey, which I find to be much more exciting live than on TV.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I love a live football game, but you need to be in the 200's level and between the 30 years lines to get the best view.

I like to watch a lot of the sidelines stuff that's going on between the play though. Who is coming in and going off, who is being treated for injury, the body language of players and coaches, etc. In the college game the play calling is fun to watch as well. It's better I'd You have season tickets as well because there are patterns you can pick up on throughout the year that you wouldn't recognize with just one game.

The best part of live football though, is that you don't get the same Budweiser commercial 500 times.

That said, living room football definitely has it's advantages as well, such as replay and analysis, plus no lines at the restroom or concession stand.

For example, I was at the Titans and Cowboys game where Albert Haynesworth stomped on Andre Gurode's face. I was in the end zone section near the tunnel, and we really had no idea why he was being ejected, we cheered him on his way off the field. Nobody had a smartphone at the time, so it wasn't until listening in the car on the way home that we found out what a POS move he pulled.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I knew the stadium had issues a couple of years back. But the commented post was referring to how things were in 99-04. I don't remember hearing any issues from back then other than how hard it was to get tickets.

Also it was soccer and not a Titans game. That is one stark difference between the Titans and Preds organizations. The Titans don't deal with non-Titans/football events with near the frequency that the Preds do with non-hockey events. And the Titans sucked at it until recently. I've heard it has been pretty nice at the soccer events since the one that is being referenced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad