The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
The division 3 hockey tournament is going on and the college I went to to work on degree number 3 just won it's 1st rd game. (SUNY Geneseo). Their first game was 50 mile away in NY. Their next game is home because the last seed in the East upset the #1 seed. And the Frozen 4 is in Lake Placid...in NY. So the road to the NCAA championship goes NY->NY->NY

Ohhh, it could be SUNY Geneseo vs St. Norbert.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Part of me thinks they did get screwed. I actually spent part of the morning talking to my friend who's also a WKU fan about this.

On one hand, yeah, you (likely) can't go in and lose your first conference tourney game. On the other hand, MTSU was "ranked" to end the season and we always hear the committee's bull**** about how if a mid-major can prove itself in the big dance, they'll be able to get the benefit over some of the bigger teams in the future. Obviously we've seen what Middle has done in the last couple of years, including the biggest upset in tournament history (by certain metrics) and another upset win last year, and let's be honest, they were under seeded last year.

As always, no one can trust the committee, especially in the world of mid-majors. It's true that I hate Middle, but as a rational fan of a conference rival I would probably be furious if it was WKU. But on a hypothetical third and final hand, I'm not even sure beating Southern Miss would've clinched it for them since they got a friggin 3 seed in the NIT. It just seems weird that a ranked team in March would still have to win their conference tournament, especially one with a very recent history of big tourney wins.

Same thing happened to Murray a few years ago. Went undefeated in the OVC, were ranked 24 or somwthing,and lost on a buzzer beater (to Belmont, of course) in the tourney final and still didn't get a bid.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Geneseo has Colby in the Quarters. Geneseo fans are just shocked that they were not shipped west to MI.

You a St. Norbert fan?

No, not really. I'll root for them and Stevens Point as a Wisconsin homer and I know some rich kids I went to school with who went there bit that's about my only connection to the school.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
No, not really. I'll root for them and Stevens Point as a Wisconsin homer and I know some rich kids I went to school with who went there bit that's about my only connection to the school.

Yeah, I'm the poverty case of Geneseo. LOL. But now, the students see my drive and they are like, Buddy! *here's my resume*'

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
drj1NmK.gif
Wedding Crashers Cheers GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

******* have no clue how to upload a gif and now I'm pissed off

Last edited:

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
I'm only bummed that my alma mater isn't in the WIAC for D3 - but that nasty little rule about the arena needing to be relatively close to campus torpedoed any chance of UWW having a D3 men's squad.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Edited for accuracy. UK 3 point streak snapped at 1047 games, dating back to the third year the three was in the college game

Last edited:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
i don't think they have. I thought UK had but their streak, which was the longest, only dated back to the third year of the rule
Their streak was by games played which over time they had played more of than Vanderbilt. Counting postseason UK probably plays 10 more games a year than Vanderbilt on average.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Their streak was by games played which over time they had played more of than Vanderbilt. Counting postseason UK probably plays 10 more games a year than Vanderbilt on average.

Ah. Makes sense. UNLV is the current leader and they have been there since game 1 as well, as has Princeton, of all teams...

I actually feel a bit better about UKs streak ending if they only lead because they played more games.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
After a bit of a scare, UT Lady Vols won and by considerable margin! That makes me happy, but Liberty was pressing and even better at times for a little over half the game. Round 2 for both UT hoops teams, unbelievable!
Due to my arbitrary reasons for following non UT teams for tournaments/playoffs, I was "for" Lipscomb in NCAAM since Pred Person and Capt. Nerdo's grandson plays on that team, my MIL is a grad, and it's local but my sister is for NC (long boring story but this is a longstanding thing) and it was a long shot from the outset so not overly upset. Even if I was I'd have another "favorite" to watch by now. :laugh:

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Gaaaaaah. Racers got clobbered. Have to remind myself WVU was ranked as high as 2 at one point this year... still sucks... usually at least one 5 loses to a 12 every year...

But I guess you can't expect much when the conference player of the year goes 1/12 from the field...

Last edited:

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Virginia is so much like the Dick Bennett (shocking) and early Bo Ryan Badgers. They can play defense but they don't have a ton of talented player on offense so when they aren't hitting shots it is really, really ugly. I remember a Big Ten Tournament game around 10 years ago that the Badgers lost 36-33. The Virginia offense tonight (from the few minutes I saw) kind of reminded me of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad