Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
What school was it
Upperman vs Macon County
Upperman’s Coach grabbed 2 officials at the end of the regulation and honestly caused such a distraction that it affected the freshman player on Macon that was shooting the free throws. Upperman won in OT on a last second layup 64-62. The refs showed restraint by allowing her to act that way but it certainly affected the shooter also.

Full honesty here my niece and nephew attend Macon County and I am an alumnus myself and my daughter’s HS lost to Macon in the regionals so I was clearly pulling for Macon but I have never seen a coach act like that at the end of a game and not get called for it.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Upperman vs Macon County
Upperman’s Coach grabbed 2 officials at the end of the regulation and honestly caused such a distraction that it affected the freshman player on Macon that was shooting the free throws. Upperman won in OT on a last second layup 64-62. The refs showed restraint by allowing her to act that way but it certainly affected the shooter also.

Full honesty here my niece and nephew attend Macon County and I am an alumnus myself and my daughter’s HS lost to Macon in the regionals so I was clearly pulling for Macon but I have never seen a coach act like that at the end of a game and not get called for it.
That's why. Upperman is one of those programs like Shelbyville was when they were winning everything. Those schools are going to get a bit of leeway just because of who they are. It's not right but that's how it is.

Reactions: loyeks

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
That's why. Upperman is one of those programs like Shelbyville was when they were winning everything. Those schools are going to get a bit of leeway just because of who they are. It's not right but that's how it is.
I get it that, the “known” team always gets the benefit of a doubt and We all know how it is to lose because of bad or questionable officiating after watching Sisson’s goal waved off in the deciding SCF game last year or Forsberg’s “offsides” in game one.

Upperman finished undefeated and beat Macon 5 times this year and Macon was the only team that played them to under double digits (3 times). I have no issues with Upperman as they are a fantastic team and have the best player but the ending leaves a bad taste because of the refs allowing the coaches to act that way. She basically got to ice a free throw shooter by causing a ruckus instead of calling a timeout. All of the antics occurred after the 1st free throw was made.

Macon’s entire team is all Sophomores and Freshman and they were clearly the 2nd best team in the state and should be the favorite next year. They lost 7 games total the 1st 2 games of the season and the 5 to Upperman. My niece is a sophomore herself and friends with several of the players my nephew is a senior though. I am hoping they win just one before she graduates. My daughter is in the 7th grade and plays elementary basketball in Cumberland County and when she gets to HS will have to play vs this same Macon team when they will be a powerful team. It would have been nice for them to win a state championship now and get complacent before my daughter has to play them.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I get it that, the “known” team always gets the benefit of a doubt and We all know how it is to lose because of bad or questionable officiating after watching Sisson’s goal waved off in the deciding SCF game last year or Forsberg’s “offsides” in game one.
Upperman finished undefeated and beat Macon 5 times this year and Macon was the only team that played them to under double digits (3 times). I have no issues with Upperman as they are a fantastic team and have the best player but the ending leaves a bad taste because of the refs allowing the coaches to act that way. She basically got to ice a free throw shooter by causing a ruckus instead of calling a timeout. All of the antics occurred after the 1st free throw was made.

Macon’s entire team is all Sophomores and Freshman and they were clearly the 2nd best team in the state and should be the favorite next year. They lost 7 games total the 1st 2 games of the season and the 5 to Upperman. My niece is a sophomore herself and friends with several of the players my nephew is a senior though. I am hoping they win just one before she graduates. My daughter is in the 7th grade and plays elementary basketball in Cumberland County and when she gets to HS will have to play vs this same Macon team when they will be a powerful team. It would have been nice for them to win a state championship now and get complacent before my daughter has to play them.

I know that feeling. I remember back during our National Championship runs that Franklin Co. had a really good team and they would lose to us 5-6 times a year by the time you did regular season and post season. It all comes in waves. It's funny for me to see a team like Riverdale winning the State because we used to beat them so bad.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
What a crazy turn of events in college basketball.

Vols with share of the regular season title and now playing Kentucky for the SEC Tourney title today. Vols will likely get a 3 seed.

MTSU has an amazing regular season, chokes in the tourney, and now likely bounced from even getting a bid. Even though they were just in the top 25.

Definitely didn’t see this coming when the season started.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky with the epic choke job...17 point 1st half lead and now they trail...

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
MTSU has an amazing regular season, chokes in the tourney, and now likely bounced from even getting a bid. Even though they were just in the top 25.

Typical disappointment from the Blue Raiders in just about every sport. Don't get me wrong, I never expect the school to be a big player on the national stage, or even be a consistent contender for conference titles. And I'll never stop cheering for them as my #1 in all sports... But it just gets frustrating when one of the teams is on the verge of finishing a nice season and then craps the bed at the end.

Reactions: LCPreds

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Well, well, well. The cats decided to remind everybody that the SEC is their world and everyone else is just living in it. I'm pleasantly surprised they finally showed some resilience. Won't go far in the tourney, but this keeps the season from being a complete loss.

And oh yeah, suck it vols :D

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Well, well, well. The cats decided to remind everybody that the SEC is their world and everyone else is just living in it. I'm pleasantly surprised they finally showed some resilience. Won't go far in the tourney, but this keeps the season from being a complete loss.

And oh yeah, suck it vols :D
Did they not make the Championship Game as a 8 seed with coach 1 and done one year. Anything is possible when you have the most talent.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Didn't realize Lipscomb got an autobid. Good for them.

Calipari joked earlier today asking if any of the prelim games were in Alaska... well close, Cal, UK goes to Boise....

Murray St got sent to San Diego so at least any of my fellow Racers who make the trip will have nice weather

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Damn yankee reaction to thee NCAA's

seed #1 apathy
seed #2 boredom
seed #3 yawn
seed #4 Get these friggin kids out of the Bridge so I can see more hockey!

Reactions: Viqsi

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Murray St got sent to San Diego so at least any of my fellow Racers who make the trip will have nice weather

This time of year the weather there isn't guaranteed to be that great. It may not be.

My friend works for Auburn sports and I already asked him if he had any flight or ticket hookups for their games there. Im not an Auburn fan but if he goes I'm down. I don't think he will but I used to live in SD for awhile so I've got free places to stay. I was hoping San Diego State would come to Nashville.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Oklahoma getting in is a joke. Probably for "star" power but that "star" has missed over 60% of his shots since the new year while his team has gone 7-12 in those games.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Oklahoma getting in is a joke. Probably for "star" power but that "star" has missed over 60% of his shots since the new year while his team has gone 7-12 in those games.
don't remember a "star" being so hyped and overrated in the past 5 years of college basketball

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
The division 3 hockey tournament is going on and the college I went to to work on degree number 3 just won it's 1st rd game. (SUNY Geneseo). Their first game was 50 mile away in NY. Their next game is home because the last seed in the East upset the #1 seed. And the Frozen 4 is in Lake Placid...in NY. So the road to the NCAA championship goes NY->NY->NY

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Awful, nobody to blame but themselves.
Part of me thinks they did get screwed. I actually spent part of the morning talking to my friend who's also a WKU fan about this.

On one hand, yeah, you (likely) can't go in and lose your first conference tourney game. On the other hand, MTSU was "ranked" to end the season and we always hear the committee's bull**** about how if a mid-major can prove itself in the big dance, they'll be able to get the benefit over some of the bigger teams in the future. Obviously we've seen what Middle has done in the last couple of years, including the biggest upset in tournament history (by certain metrics) and another upset win last year, and let's be honest, they were under seeded last year.

As always, no one can trust the committee, especially in the world of mid-majors. It's true that I hate Middle, but as a rational fan of a conference rival I would probably be furious if it was WKU. But on a hypothetical third and final hand, I'm not even sure beating Southern Miss would've clinched it for them since they got a friggin 3 seed in the NIT. It just seems weird that a ranked team in March would still have to win their conference tournament, especially one with a very recent history of big tourney wins.

Last edited:

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
MTSU losing just simply allowed the committee to choose a team from a larger conference to take their place. Simple as that.

Basically if a mid-major wants to ensure their conference is represented by the team they would consider 'best' then they need to protect their brand by transitioning the auto bid to the regular season champion. The committee has proven they can't follow their own criteria in making these at large selections so might as well rip that opportunity away from them.

I hate to even float the idea of removing part of what makes March magical but mid-majors have to do something to hedge against the fact that the deck is stacked against them.

(It's also crazy that we're talking about Conference USA as a mid-major conference nowadays.)

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
MTSU losing just simply allowed the committee to choose a team from a larger conference to take their place. Simple as that.

Basically if a mid-major wants to ensure their conference is represented by the team they would consider 'best' then they need to protect their brand by transitioning the auto bid to the regular season champion. The committee has proven they can't follow their own criteria in making these at large selections so might as well rip that opportunity away from them.

I hate to even float the idea of removing part of what makes March magical but mid-majors have to do something to hedge against the fact that the deck is stacked against them.

(It's also crazy that we're talking about Conference USA as a mid-major conference nowadays.)

I get what you're saying about the auto bid (and honestly I agree with you. Auto bid the season champ and let the tourney be for at large bids), but conferences probably see it the other way around, especially the smaller ones. They want as many teams in the tourney as possible, so really their hope is that the regular season champion doesn't win the tournament. Then they get an "extra" team in.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
They got screwed plain and simple. You take their record and slap it on a big school and it's not even a thought.

The NCAA and it's tournaments have been about nothing but money for decades. If it wasn't for auto bids the basketball tournament would be just like the football playoffs, it would be nothing but schools from major conferences.

Eventually it will cause the NCAA to go belly up, but right now their is too much money flowing in for that to happen

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Speaking of money, what ever happened with this recent round of NCAA payments? I don't follow like I used to but seem to remember a lot of current players and big name schools being involved. But I certainly don't hear of any schools being left out/banned/etc. because of it.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
@Drake744 i enjoy your posts. good sense of humor too.
drj1NmK.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad