The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
If it were really that easy then it wouldn't have taken Schiano to come along to make it look that easy.

By the way, current college football playoff format cracks me up. You basically have 3 conference games where teams are playing to get into the playoff. Yet Alabama gets rewarded with a bye week for losing to Auburn. Great system!

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Yeah throw most of those teams in the SEC then and they would have been doing good to win a game against anyone but Vandy and Kentucky
SEC this season was terrible.

Florida, UT, Vandy, Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina, aTm, Ole Miss, Arkansas, all down years. Even LSU was beaten by a weaker team.

Georgia, Alabama and Auburn are the only great teams.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
SEC is overrated as well as bama. this coming from a bama fan. the east has sucked for years. bama carried the SEC and propped it up for a stretch. we've been overrated the past 2 years. SEC is not what it's cracked up to be.

Reactions: Viqsi

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
SEC this season was terrible.

Florida, UT, Vandy, Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina, aTm, Ole Miss, Arkansas, all down years. Even LSU was beaten by a weaker team.

Georgia, Alabama and Auburn are the only great teams.
Um, FYI 7 wins is not ever a "down season" for UK football. Yeah, could and should have been 8 or even 9, but also could been 5.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
To be fair the Big East wasn't that bad. Not great or anything but they had teams that were competent at various points. West Virginia, UConn, Cincinnati, Louisville, South Florida etc.

As a Cincinnati alumni, I would subtract the Bearcats (4-8?) and the Huskies, since they lost to Cincinnati at the end of the season. The only thing that impressed me was the Bearcats hanging with Michigan for the first half. They were undersized and undermanned against M.

South Florida was the best team that Cincinnati played this year. Their defense was better than Michigan's! UCF scored 51 but gave up 23 to Cincinnati. That was 20 more points than the Bearcats scored against South Florida.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Poor Vol nation. Their twitter rage has transitioned them from Schiano to Doeren. I don't know whether to laugh at them or cry with them.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Poor Vol nation. Their twitter rage has transitioned them from Schiano to Doeren. I don't know whether to laugh at them or cry with them.
I have read some tweets from some people saying they will pull their kids out of UT and have them go elsewhere if he is hired. A football coach is not the reason to attend or not attend a school. They are certifiable crazy at this point.

Reactions: LCPreds

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
If we hire Doeren I am done. I watched 2 games this year and next year it will be 0 if that is the hire. It is disgusting what the administration has done to this program. What an unbelievable botch job by Currie, Davenport and the Haslams.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
If we hire Doeren I am done. I watched 2 games this year and next year it will be 0 if that is the hire. It is disgusting what the administration has done to this program. What an unbelievable botch job by Currie, Davenport and the Haslams.
Well honestly, it's telling about the state of the program and city when coaches are turning down deals like what has been reported. It would be like the equivalent of if not worse than being the Maple Leafs or Canadiens coach from a pressure standpoint.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
It seems to me that the Schiano backlash has done nothing but destroy UT's reputation from a national perspective, both from media and potential coaches alike. Making matters worse is the fact that the administration looks so incompetent that it's actually allowing blame to be shifted away from the mob-like mentality of the fans and the fishbowl they've created. Yeah, Currie appears to totally suck at his job, but there's more to it than that.

Outside of a borderline miracle, there won't be any kind of hire that Vols fans will get behind at this point, and as much as they won't want to hear it, I think they're partially to blame. Currie and company deserves most of the blame but I don't think the fans are completely off the hook.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
It seems to me that the Schiano backlash has done nothing but destroy UT's reputation from a national perspective, both from media and potential coaches alike. Making matters worse is the fact that the administration looks so incompetent that it's actually allowing blame to be shifted away from the mob-like mentality of the fans and the fishbowl they've created. Yeah, Currie appears to totally suck at his job, but there's more to it than that.

Outside of a borderline miracle, there won't be any kind of hire that Vols fans will get behind at this point, and as much as they won't want to hear it, I think they're partially to blame. Currie and company deserves most of the blame but I don't think the fans are completely off the hook.
They aren't partially to blame, they are 80% to blame with 20% being on the school letting the fans make the hiring decisions.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
They aren't partially to blame, they are 80% to blame with 20% being on the school letting the fans make the hiring decisions.
You have that % backwards. John Currie sat on Schiano for 2 weeks while keeping boosters other than Haslam in the dark and had no clue how big of a storm it would set off. Didn't offer big money to top targets like he said he was going to do. He finally coughs up money for Gundy who is as entrenched at OSU as a coach could possibly be and is now back to offering 3 mil for mediocre ACC coaches. The fans did the right thing by revolting against that hire. I haven't seen anyone in the UT family who was opposed to blocking that guy from coaching us. Vol fans are divided on almost everything but we were all united in saying that we did not want Schiano for a variety of reasons.

Also if you think the fans on twitter caused the hire to stall you are sorely mistaken. Much more important people killed it.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I would think at this point the Vols have to go with Tee or else pay Fulmer a gazillion dollars to come in and stabilize the program for a couple of years

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I would think at this point the Vols have to go with Tee or else pay Fulmer a gazillion dollars to come in and stabilize the program for a couple of years
They're speaking to Kevin Sumlin next. At this point that's about as good as they can hope for I think.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
They should bring in Les Miles for a couple years. Get Tee Martin to be the OC/coach in waiting. Let Miles groom him for a couple years then hand over the keys.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
As a Cincinnati alumni, I would subtract the Bearcats (4-8?) and the Huskies, since they lost to Cincinnati at the end of the season. The only thing that impressed me was the Bearcats hanging with Michigan for the first half. They were undersized and undermanned against M.

South Florida was the best team that Cincinnati played this year. Their defense was better than Michigan's! UCF scored 51 but gave up 23 to Cincinnati. That was 20 more points than the Bearcats scored against South Florida.

I'm not talking about this year. I'm talking about when Schiano was at Rutgers. All of those teams in the old Big East had some good years. They weren't all good at the same time and they were never consistently good but there was enough talent in that conference that they would compare favorably to what the AAC is today. Not a Power 5 but probably the best non-Power 5 conference in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad