The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
That’s actually not what happened. McQueary testified that he heard Schiano saw something. The guy McQueary supposedly heard it from (name escapes me) and Schiano both deny it. So really all he did was relay second hand hearsay from an event that occurred 20 years ago.

I don’t blame you for not knowing that though and going with the version of the story you believe to be true. It seems that’s the exact kind of thinking that took over Vol land and no one bothered to check the facts. The internet mob rarely does.
Not only that but Bradley said he never had this conversation with McQueary. The state of Pennsylvania was never going to investigate any further because it could have discredited McQueary. The state said Schiano was innocent and knew nothing. Why would he lie? He risked jail time and becoming a pariah if he did. Fact is UT fans want a big name coach and Schiano had a losing record, so they ruined him based on hearsay and innuendo without any proof.

Reactions: LCPreds

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Not only that but Bradley said he never had this conversation with McQueary. The state of Pennsylvania was never going to investigate any further because it could have discredited McQueary. The state said Schiano was innocent and knew nothing. Why would he lie? He risked jail time and becoming a pariah if he did. Fact is UT fans want a big name coach and Schiano had a losing record, so they ruined him based on hearsay and innuendo without any proof.

Thanks. Bradly is the name I couldn't remember.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Fact is UT fans want a big name coach and Schiano had a losing record, so they ruined him based on hearsay and innuendo without any proof.
I'm not a Vols fan or hater so I'm as unbiased as it gets here. I agree with you to an extent, but I'd agree with you more if the outrage wasn't immediately pointed towards the scandal. They didn't take a day and be like "Oh wait this is convenient let's start a protest because apparently he did this! Yeah! Disgusting!" The scandal was an IMMEDIATE sticking point with a ton of people. I was texting my friend before the deal was even (going to be) finalized but news was starting to break. He's literally the biggest UT fan I know. His first response to it was "If we hire a guy who walked in on a kid being assaulted without doing anything, I'm becoming an MTSU fan. I won't support him."

Whether or not it's true, it was still his principle. Are some people using this as an excuse to be pissed that it's not someone else? Probably, but there are absolutely Vols fans whose main problem with Schiano was the allegations.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm curious as to whether or not this will hurt the Vols. I know a few Ohio State fans who understand what the fans were doing but they all said once he's in charge, the fans would be happy.
Hadn't heard that one myself, but it's a large fanbase. :dunno:

I'm kind of ambivalent towards the guy myself. I don't think he's culpable in the Sandusky/Paterno mishegaas, but I can't really tell.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Hadn't heard that one myself, but it's a large fanbase. :dunno:

I'm kind of ambivalent towards the guy myself. I don't think he's culpable in the Sandusky/Paterno mishegaas, but I can't really tell.
the sandusky saga had nothing to do with it. it was just a smoke screen. vols fans just didn't want a mediocre head coach in charge. vols fans don't realize their program has sucked since they gave fulmer the boot and I'm not so sure they are as attractive a destination as they see themselves.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I'm not a Vols fan or hater so I'm as unbiased as it gets here. I agree with you to an extent, but I'd agree with you more if the outrage wasn't immediately pointed towards the scandal. They didn't take a day and be like "Oh wait this is convenient let's start a protest because apparently he did this! Yeah! Disgusting!" The scandal was an IMMEDIATE sticking point with a ton of people. I was texting my friend before the deal was even (going to be) finalized but news was starting to break. He's literally the biggest UT fan I know. His first response to it was "If we hire a guy who walked in on a kid being assaulted without doing anything, I'm becoming an MTSU fan. I won't support him."

Whether or not it's true, it was still his principle. Are some people using this as an excuse to be pissed that it's not someone else? Probably, but there are absolutely Vols fans whose main problem with Schiano was the allegations.
Clay Travis brought it up when it became clear he had the job, someone painted it on the rock, and it caught on like a wildfire in the Knoxville media. It’s not like these are new allegations either Ohio St. which is in the Big 10 with Penn St. said he was innocent. I just don’t like the dragging a human being and his family through the mud because of flimsy evidence and secondary information. Most fans didn’t want him because of his coaching track record and his feud with Peyton Manning. The Penn St. stuff became the convenient excuse.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Clay Travis brought it up when it became clear he had the job, someone painted it on the rock, and it caught on like a wildfire in the Knoxville media. It’s not like these are new allegations either Ohio St. which is in the Big 10 with Penn St. said he was innocent. I just don’t like the dragging a human being and his family through the mud because of flimsy evidence and secondary information. Most fans didn’t want him because of his coaching track record and his feud with Peyton Manning. The Penn St. stuff became the convenient excuse.
My friend who said he wouldn't support the program if they hired a guy who (maybe) did what he did at Penn State doesn't even really follow Clay so, yeah, he was part of the movement but it doesn't mean that there weren't people who were against him for those reasons before the actual news became public.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
I don't want GS because he is a mediocre coach, a pretty hard guy to get along with, bad with media and players and oh yeah the Penn State stuff is a huge red flag itself. He checked 0 boxes for me. UT is getting run through the mud today but I think the fans prevented our incompetent AD from making a terrible mistake.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Schiano made Rutgers relevant. He got them in the Big 10. He would have been a solid hire, but UTs expectations are incredibly unrealistic. The Penn State stuff was a convenient excuse for UT boosters and fans to scream that Schiano is not Jon Gruden.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Schiano made Rutgers relevant. He got them in the Big 10. He would have been a solid hire, but UTs expectations are incredibly unrealistic. The Penn State stuff was a convenient excuse for UT boosters and fans to scream that Schiano is not Jon Gruden.
Do most UT fans even view Gruden as a realistic choice anymore? I have a hard time buying that. I think they'd be fine with Kiffin, Brohm, Mullen (oops) and Tee Martin just as much as Gruden where we stand now.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Because we expect a coach who isn't a bag of shit? We just had one dishonest lying coach who the players all hated. We don't need another.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I don't want GS because he is a mediocre coach, a pretty hard guy to get along with, bad with media and players and oh yeah the Penn State stuff is a huge red flag itself. He checked 0 boxes for me. UT is getting run through the mud today but I think the fans prevented our incompetent AD from making a terrible mistake.
At least you are being honest as to why you don’t want him.
He would have been a huge success at Tennessee and I wanted for Vanderbilt after Franklin left. Yeah he was bad in the NFL so was Saban, Pete Carroll, and Spurrier and a bunch of other guys.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
At least you are being honest as to why you don’t want him.
He would have been a huge success at Tennessee and I wanted for Vanderbilt after Franklin left. Yeah he was bad in the NFL so was Saban, Pete Carroll, and Spurrier and a bunch of other guys.
Not only was he a loser in the NFL but basically everyone in the Bucs organization couldn't wait to get rid of him. He may have ratted out Josh Freeman to the NFLPA, was voted least popular coach in the NFL by an anonymous poll of players who were in the league at that time. Notoriously thin skinned with the media. There is a difference in coaching Rutgers and coaching a team with an obsessive fanbase and large media contingent. College coaching is a 24 hour a day job, there are far more obligations to attend to than an NFL coach has.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Petrino and Kiffin?

Petrino was the guy that was sleeping with a college girl while he coached at Arkansas right?

And Kiffin? The guy that left UT for a better job once already, and then was fired for that job?

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Reading the Vol Nation forums is a torture I hope all of you choose to endure someday. So many misguided people there...

First, to a number of people you might as well just make the names Schiano and Sandusky interchangeable.

Second, UT can go out and get any coach they want. If they don't get a home run it's because the AD is inept it couldn't possibly be because no one wants to come to UT.

I grew up in South Knox, and my first Vol memory was the 85 Sugar Bowl. This fandom was basically injected into me by breathing the Knoxville air and being brainwashed by my family. My mom would cross-stitch stuff that had quotes like "My blood runneth Orange" for example. Over the years my fandom has waned, partly because of interest in more Nashville oriented sports like the Preds and Titans but I would say mostly because the fan base just annoys the hell out of me now. This whole ordeal was simply a perfect storm of that annoyance.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Petrino, Sumlin, Kiffin is still out there along with Tee Martin and other VFL guys.
Sumlin appears to be going to Arizona State (nice). Petrino, ehhh. Pass. Martin's wife is a singer who doesn't want to leave LA but it's clearly possible. Kiffin would be a 450 foot homer to dead center field.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Sumlin appears to be going to Arizona State (nice). Petrino, ehhh. Pass. Martin's wife is a singer who doesn't want to leave LA but it's clearly possible. Kiffin would be a 450 foot homer to dead center field.

I still think it's hilarious that the current most logical remaining hire is probably Kiffin. Full circle... Vol nation deserves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad