The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Gratz for playing in a game that has no meaning?
pat.gif

* * *​
Happy to be wrong!

MTSU in the Camellia Bowl (lol?)
Dec 16 in Montgomery, AL
Vs Arkansas State

Of course it's short notice and I have a prior commitment...
Awesomeness. Will be pulling for 'em (have a cousin who's also an alumnus).

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
They got the 4 right. As much as I hate Bama they are more deserving than OSU. Should have beat Wisconsin handily and the loss to Iowa basically guaranteed they weren't getting in.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
They got the 4 right. As much as I hate Bama they are more deserving than OSU. Should have beat Wisconsin handily and the loss to Iowa basically guaranteed they weren't getting in.
Not so sure about the Wisconsin game there - I think the margin of victory would have been sufficient as is if it wasn't for that damned Iowa embarrassment. Maybe if we'd beaten Wisconsin by, like, 50 points or something, then we could have overcome Iowa. Maybe. Very unlikely, but maybe. But that would have required that the team be good enough that the Iowa cluster**** probably wouldn't have happened in the first place. (How JT Barrett has managed to set so many records while being singularly unable to manage any pass longer than 10-15 yards or so will forever be a mystery for the ages.)

Oh well. Next year.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
I wonder how much the last 2 years played into the committee taking Bama over OSU?

Clemson blasted OSU last year
Bama blasted Michigan State the year before that

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I hate a lot about a 4 team playoff that is based on a choice of "opinion" but what I hate most is that a team like Alabama (OSU last year) can lose their last regular season game and sit at home while other teams play what is basically a play in game. It's basically a bye week given for losing.

Maybe in 2020/21 we'll have an 8 team format with 5 auto bids from the "power 5" and 3 at large. That would at least remove the opinion/bias factor from 5 of the team selections. I'd also prefer the other 3 get chosen by computer rankings but the folks who currently enjoy the power of voting would never give that up.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I hate a lot about a 4 team playoff that is based on a choice of "opinion" but what I hate most is that a team like Alabama (OSU last year) can lose their last regular season game and sit at home while other teams play what is basically a play in game. It's basically a bye week given for losing..

That's why I would like to both expand the playoffs and completely eliminate conference championship games.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I hate a lot about a 4 team playoff that is based on a choice of "opinion" but what I hate most is that a team like Alabama (OSU last year) can lose their last regular season game and sit at home while other teams play what is basically a play in game. It's basically a bye week given for losing.

Maybe in 2020/21 we'll have an 8 team format with 5 auto bids from the "power 5" and 3 at large. That would at least remove the opinion/bias factor from 5 of the team selections. I'd also prefer the other 3 get chosen by computer rankings but the folks who currently enjoy the power of voting would never give that up.
If Bama gets the same kind of shellacking we got last year, then I suspect/hope that sort of "bye week" will go away.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
It's not just the lost revenue that keeps them from doing away with conference championships, it's the fact that the conferences have too many teams anymore to be able to name a conference champ just on regular season results.

Lumpy66

Apr 11, 2012
Wisconsin

I have always agreed with this as well. It is completely illogical to claim to have 5 power conferences yet only allow 4 teams into the playoffs.

I agree with having an 8 team playoff. The 5 conference winners, the highest ranked non power 5 conference champ (somewhat controversial, but it's what I would do) and two at large bids.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I agree that there should be some path for non-power 5 conferences to participate. As it is right now, most teams don't actually have any hope to ever win a national title now matter how well they play. A team in the Sun Belt conference can go undefeated for five years and not get a bid to the playoffs.

If the NCAA were open to really radical ideas, they could go to 8 geographically aligned conferences of 16, with the 8 champions making the playoffs. Essentially it creates a 16 team playoff when you factor in the conference championship game. The small schools would still be a long shot to win it all because they'd have to win their division and then four rounds of playoffs. But at least every team would start the season knowing that it was possible.

There's no way the big schools and conferences would ever allow something radical like that, but it's fun to play "what if"

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I agree that there should be some path for non-power 5 conferences to participate. As it is right now, most teams don't actually have any hope to ever win a national title now matter how well they play. A team in the Sun Belt conference can go undefeated for five years and not get a bid to the playoffs.

If the NCAA were open to really radical ideas, they could go to 8 geographically aligned conferences of 16, with the 8 champions making the playoffs. Essentially it creates a 16 team playoff when you factor in the conference championship game. The small schools would still be a long shot to win it all because they'd have to win their division and then four rounds of playoffs. But at least every team would start the season knowing that it was possible.

There's no way the big schools and conferences would ever allow something radical like that, but it's fun to play "what if"

Cause they would get out right smoked and it would be an embarrassment. The only fair way of doing it though would make the playoffs long and invite every single conference champ.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Cause they would get out right smoked and it would be an embarrassment. The only fair way of doing it though would make the playoffs long and invite every single conference champ.

Yeah remind those teams that ran into those good Boise State teams.

The big schools wouldn't do it because they risk losing the market they have gained if one of those smaller schools did end up winning.

It's all about the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->