The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
They should bring in Les Miles for a couple years. Get Tee Martin to be the OC/coach in waiting. Let Miles groom him for a couple years then hand over the keys.

Could potentially do something similar. Bring in Tee as head coach and Fulmer to handle a lot of the "front office" stuff while he learns. With that said, I'm not for bringing in Tee Martin. Sumlin would be good. And I can't believe I'm even saying this but at this point I'd prefer Kiffin over anyone else.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Yeah people blame the fans for shutting it down but when the politicians get involved in guessing someone from the Board of Trustees picked up the phone and axed that deal.

Exactly. Because they didn't want some moron redneck writing "child rape" on the rock every day.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
What. The. f***. is happening in Knoxville? I've literally never seen anything like this. AD is out. Media saying they were gonna hire Leach but school said no, and says that Fulmer has been sabotaging all these coaching searches, etc. This is so absurd. Seriously. You think at a certain point it has to reach a peak of insanity, and when it looked like it was there, they blow right past it.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
What. The. ****. is happening in Knoxville? I've literally never seen anything like this. AD is out. Media saying they were gonna hire Leach but school said no, and says that Fulmer has been sabotaging all these coaching searches, etc. This is so absurd. Seriously. You think at a certain point it has to reach a peak of insanity, and when it looked like it was there, they blow right past it.
Um, sounds pretty much normal to me. [Alum here]

Where insanity is concerned, the phrase "Hold mah beer" most likely arose in Knoxville.
This is a bunch that literally sent a moving van to a coach's house after a loss--and that was in the 70's.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
This is as close as it gets to winning the SEC for Vandy fans. Watching UT flush the toilet with their brand and knowing Vandy is a better program right now in football, has a coach killing it with top 5 recruiting class in basketball and a top 5 overall program in baseball.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
This is as close as it gets to winning the SEC for Vandy fans. Watching UT flush the toilet with their brand and knowing Vandy is a better program right now in football, has a coach killing it with top 5 recruiting class in basketball and a top 5 overall program in baseball.

"Flushing the toilet with their brand" -- with all due respect, it isn't like Vanderbilt has been out of the news itself. Oh, you forgot about that? Funny how that works when a team starts winning, isn't it?

I'm not worried about UT longterm. People have always been rabid, they will continue to be.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
"Flushing the toilet with their brand" -- with all due respect, it isn't like Vanderbilt has been out of the news itself. Oh, you forgot about that? Funny how that works when a team starts winning, isn't it?

I'm not worried about UT longterm. People have always been rabid, they will continue to be.
Vandy never had a brand to begin with. Unless you want to talk academics.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
so who gets in at 4? bama or ohio state? don't say another team cause it's obviously one of these 2. USC has a case but ESPN/media decided they were out a while ago. i think bama is the better team. ohio state got in last year without winning their conference and got thrashed by Clemson 31-0. a lot of same guys back on both teams. ohio state losing to Iowa by 30+ points is really hard to overlook. neither bama or ohio state will beat Clemson so it's all just something to argue about that will be meaningless in the big picture.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Can’t we all agree it is time to go to a 8 team playoff? 5 conference champions plus 3 at large bids.
1 Clemson vs 8 UCF
2 Oklahoma vs 7 Wisconsin
3 Georgia vs 6 USC
4 Alabama vs 5 Ohio St

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Can’t we all agree it is time to go to a 8 team playoff? 5 conference champions plus 3 at large bids.
1 Clemson vs 8 UCF
3 Georgia vs 6 USC
4 Alabama vs 5 Ohio St
I would definitely prefer an 8 team but 4 team is still way better than the BCS!

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
1 Clemson vs 8 UCF
3 Georgia vs 6 USC
4 Alabama vs 5 Ohio St

Oklahoma spanked Ohio State early in the season. Wisconsin lost to OSU by the predicted 6 points last night. I don't see Wisconsin beating OK on a good day and I am a Badgers football fan. I also follow the Tide and dislike OSU. I am not sure about making the Buckeyes #4, but it lends some geographic balance to the playoffs. I am content with the current 4 teams (with OSU), but you did make it interesting!

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Oklahoma spanked Ohio State early in the season. Wisconsin lost to OSU by the predicted 6 points last night. I don't see Wisconsin beating OK on a good day and I am a Badgers football fan. I also follow the Tide and dislike OSU. I am not sure about making the Buckeyes #4, but it lends some geographic balance to the playoffs. I am content with the current 4 teams (with OSU), but you did make it interesting!
I seeded them that way to avoid a 2nd round all SEC or all Big 10 matchup until the final game. Ideally I would have Ohio St as a 6 seed. But let’s be honest there is a lot of conference politics involved and a Georgia-Alabama matchup in the first or second round would bring out the whining and gripping about them not meeting in the championship game. Ditto Ohio St and Wisconsin (just played each other). Plus it gives teams like Stanford and TCU a chance if they automatically got a bid by winning their conference.

You could switch any of the teams around, but I am thinking what a committee would come out with in a 8 team playoff.

Last edited:

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin

Ohio State lost to Iowa by 31 and Wisconsin beat Iowa by 21 so the Badgers should've beat Ohio State by 52 yesterday!

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
On the one hand, this annoys me because Bama's strength of schedule is utter crap compared to Ohio State. On the other hand, tho, Iowa.
Can't put the strength of schedule totally on Bama though. They scheduled Florida State, so they did try to get a good out of conference opponent, FSU just crashed and burned this season.

Also Mississippi State would have been a much better win but that got chunked when they lost their QB against Ole Miss.

I think what it boiled down to is the committee thought Wisconsin wasn't that great to start with, they just kind of had to be there because of record. First quality team they play all season and they lose, which ends up hurting Ohio State even though they won.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Can't put the strength of schedule totally on Bama though. They scheduled Florida State, so they did try to get a good out of conference opponent, FSU just crashed and burned this season.
Given how many times we got burned by this during the BCS era, the amount of sympathy I have for this excuse is somewhere between "nil" and "all y'all can go **** yourselves". ;)

It's more than just the conference championship. That said, the Iowa loss is still kind of impossible to overlook.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Given how many times we got burned by this during the BCS era, the amount of sympathy I have for this excuse is somewhere between "nil" and "all y'all can go **** yourselves". ;)

It's more than just the conference championship. That said, the Iowa loss is still kind of impossible to overlook.
And this is why everyone else around the country chuckles just a bit every time Ohio State chokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->