The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Eh as an Arkansas fan you don't want Petrino, the guy is a ticking time bomb waiting to happen. Btw he didn't get sacked for cheating on his wife, he got canned because he lied to the AD about it and tried to use the Arkansas Highway Patrol to cover it up. Second on the list is that he gave his girlfriend a job within the athletic department, and at the bottom was him actually cheating on his wife.

If there is a Tennessee fan that wants Kiffin then they need a good knot on their head. The dude has ended up making Al Davis look sane and he also is a ticking time bomb with the NCAA. Sabban essentially ran him out of town which should be putting up big red flags.

Tennessee would be better off getting some no name than either one of those turkeys.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Sumlin might be interesting not because he is a great coach but because he might do decent at Tennessee. I know people think it's easy to recruit in Texas, but there is a million schools there, plus Oklahoma, Arkansas, LSU, etc. as well.

The big key for whoever is there is can you pull kids from the Carolina's and Georgia again. That's where they were getting lots of those players from when they were good. ( Also helped that those schools plus Alabama stunk )

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Sumlin might be interesting not because he is a great coach but because he might do decent at Tennessee. I know people think it's easy to recruit in Texas, but there is a million schools there, plus Oklahoma, Arkansas, LSU, etc. as well.

The big key for whoever is there is can you pull kids from the Carolina's and Georgia again. That's where they were getting lots of those players from when they were good. ( Also helped that those schools plus Alabama stunk )
He's probably making a great life decision and going to Arizona State

Reactions: LCPreds

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Reading the Vol Nation forums is a torture I hope all of you choose to endure someday. So many misguided people there...

I have found this to be true of all CFB-focused forums. I can't get anywhere near any Buckeye forums without wanting to tear out my own eyes.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Oh Vol Nation. You've gone from Gruden, to settling for Mullen/Frost/etc., and have now transitioned to the realism stage: Lane Kiffin/Brett Venables/Pruitt.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
From the reaction these last couple of days, it seems that Vol fans are worse than Montreal/Maple Leaf fans. Jeeze.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I still think it's funny they ran Schiano out and likely won't find a coach as good as him.

Schiano's record at Rutgers was pretty similar to Saban's record at MSU, except Schiano actually won the bowl games. And no one here is going to say Rutgers was a better program, they were horrible when he took over.

Is Schiano a dick? Likely, so is Saban, Parcels, Myers, etc.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
From the reaction these last couple of days, it seems that Vol fans are worse than Montreal/Maple Leaf fans. Jeeze.
Yes. Easily. Almost up there with the worst of Buckeye fans, except that said Buckeye fans are presently largely pacified by the fact that Barrett didn't finish the Michigan game so they're hoping that maybe he's finally out for good. :eyeroll:

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
I still think it's funny they ran Schiano out and likely won't find a coach as good as him.

Schiano's record at Rutgers was pretty similar to Saban's record at MSU, except Schiano actually won the bowl games. And no one here is going to say Rutgers was a better program, they were horrible when he took over.

Is Schiano a dick? Likely, so is Saban, Parcels, Myers, etc.
There is a difference between being a dick and being universally hated by your players. The coaches you mentioned actually won hardware. Schiano had a .500 record at a terrible program.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
There is a difference between being a dick and being universally hated by your players. The coaches you mentioned actually won hardware. Schiano had a .500 record at a terrible program.

Vols fans are just spinning a negative narrative when focusing on his .500 record without actually analyzing it. Schiano's record at Rutgers is actually excellent if you discount the first few years while he was building the program (which any sane person should):

2001: 2-9
2002: 1-11
2003: 5-7
2004: 4-7
2005: 7-5 (Bowl L)
2006: 11-2 (Bowl W)
2007: 8-5 (Bowl W)
2008: 8-5 (Bowl W)
2009: 9-4 (Bowl W)
2010: 4-8
2011: 9-4 (Bowl W)

Yeah, 2010 was a shit year but overall that 2005 - 2011 stretch looks pretty damn good for a lot of schools, especially Rutgers.

Looking at Rutgers football leading up to Schiano is especially telling. I counted 5 winning seasons between 1980 and 2000. Schiano had 6 from 2005-2011.
List of Rutgers Scarlet Knights football seasons - Wikipedia

Reactions: triggrman

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
No matter how you slice it, the intensity, insanity, and scrutiny that surrounds everything the team does and the fan base delusion is far worse in Toronto and Montreal.
I was referring to the drunken and obnoxious behavior when their team was winning. I sat through several Vanderbilt games with them. I also remember they used to show up after Vanderbilt and Alabama games and taunt both teams’ fans.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I was referring to the drunken and obnoxious behavior when their team was winning. I sat through several Vanderbilt games with them. I also remember they used to show up after Vanderbilt and Alabama games and taunt both teams’ fans.
Eh I get it. I had to deal with Raiders fans for years so at least you didn't have to deal with stabbings and crowd brawls.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Eh I get it. I had to deal with Raiders fans for years so at least you didn't have to deal with stabbings and crowd brawls.
It was bad in the late 90’s Alabama and Vanderbilt played every year and UT fans would show up on West End and block traffic taunting the fans leaving the game. One guy had a huge orange flag on his truck playing “Rocky Top” driving up and down the street. When Vandy played UT the fans were just annoying. Plus the fact the Fulmer ran up the score every chance he got. I was hoping the Mason was going to call time out and kick a FG as time expired just to rub it in more.

You

Jul 1, 2010
I don't think there's anything substantially more impressive about building Rutgers in a weak Big East than winning at UCF, WMU, Buffalo (hi Turner Gill), or *ahem* FAU. Schiano was a stretch of an NFL hire and then bombed spectacularly. Why wouldn't you just hire some other scratch-off without all the baggage (even if you fully discount him popping up in McQueary's Sandusky testimony)?

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
To be fair the Big East wasn't that bad. Not great or anything but they had teams that were competent at various points. West Virginia, UConn, Cincinnati, Louisville, South Florida etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad