The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I was at a bar when the Preds/Titans were coinciding with each other and I would say the break down was probably about 25% Titans fans, 75% fans of other teams watching their games, and maybe 10 or 15 people there strictly for the Preds. I may be underestimating though. One thing I will say though is there were a pretty decent amount of people there for football who clearly cared about the Preds game and made noise towards the end.

Two Preds spirit team girls (or whatever they're called) randomly showed up and gave away some things which was certainly a surprise.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Idk why people keep mentioning the Titans "easy" schedule. If you know how the schedule is made, you know that Jacksonville and Indy theoretically have easier schedules this year and only Houston should have a more difficult schedule.

On top of that, they're winning the games. If they were a bad team, they wouldn't be winning the games. I know it's nice to think about how much better they could be with a different coaching staff, but that also makes it easier to overlook the fact that they are winning and you could just be enjoying all of the W's piling up, especially after how low the team had sunk for a few years.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
And just like that the Titans are back at 1st in the division. Firmly in control of their own destiny at this point. Looks like both the Jags and Titans have similar schedule difficulty moving forward as well.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Damn. Phil Dawson (age 42) just kicked a 57 yard FG to beat the Jags. Titans back on top of the division

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
not impressed with this hire.

apparently nobody was. Im impressed. In a single afternoon the fan backlash has been so bad that the deal appears to be dead.

I loathe the Vols but kudos to the fans.

My question to you Vols fans is how can you not now fire the AD that tried to hire this turd?

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
The sad thing about today is that many (the majority?) Vol fans were against this hire for the wrong reason first. Seems a lot of people think Schiano didn't report child rape. Oh and he also sucks at coaching. I'm fine with being against it for the latter but there is absolutely no proof of the former. Assassinating this guy's character without proof just to avoid having him become your head football coach because he sucks at coaching is an embarrassment.

I grew up in Knoxville and basically had being a Vols fan bred into me. Granted my liking for college football has waned over the years, mainly because of how nuts all of the southern fan bases are. This whole situation is a great example of that madness.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
And just like that the Titans are back at 1st in the division. Firmly in control of their own destiny at this point. Looks like both the Jags and Titans have similar schedule difficulty moving forward as well.

1st in the south and 3rd overall in the AFC. If the season ended today they would have a home playoff game in round 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: LCPreds

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
The sad thing about today is that many (the majority?) Vol fans were against this hire for the wrong reason first. Seems a lot of people think Schiano didn't report child rape. Oh and he also sucks at coaching. I'm fine with being against it for the latter but there is absolutely no proof of the former. Assassinating this guy's character without proof just to avoid having him become your head football coach because he sucks at coaching is an embarrassment.

I grew up in Knoxville and basically had being a Vols fan bred into me. Granted my liking for college football has waned over the years, mainly because of how nuts all of the southern fan bases are. This whole situation is a great example of that madness.
No proof whatsoever of Schiano knowing anything about what happened at Penn St. He faced major years in jail if he had lied in his deposition. The only thing that was said was second hand that in the 80’s he may have seen something inappropriate. Ohio St. did their due diligence and found him to be honest about his time at PSU. Not everyone is guilty by association for that terrible crime. Is Tim Tebow or Tom Brady guilty for knowing and being friends with Aaron Hernandez?

Better for me as a Vandy fan as they are destroying themselves from the inside and Schiano would have been a five star hire. But these lies about him are just disgusting and beneath any fan base.

Last edited:

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
1st in the south and 3rd overall in the AFC. If the season ended today they would have a home playoff game in round 1.

And when they run into a legit team, they'll still get smoked, I don't trust the coaching staff as far as I can throw them; embarrassing to play to the level of your opponent (sans Raiders & Steelers), not buying in until they prove this otherwise.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Actually the Shiano thing isn't really second hand, the guy that blew the lid off the story said under oath that he came to his office white as a ghost because he saw Sandusky doing something to a kid.

Did they have proof other than that? Probably not or they would have nailed him, but a University that just paid out for allowing sexual harassment to go unchecked didn't have any business hiring the guy.

Personally think it would have been a bad hire anyways, but I'm not a UT fan so I don't really care.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
This prediction piece doesn't have Vandy in a bowl game. I'm not sure if they're unaware of the APR rule, or if they're just projecting enough teams will reach 6 wins after next week to get 80.

New projections for all 40 bowl games, with the Playoff committee’s hardest decision ever - SBNation.com

I'm guessing you have miscounted the number of 6 win teams, and there are three teams playing for a 6th win next weekend. I would think there would already be some mainstream media buzz if there were to be multiple 5-7 teams in bowls this year

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I'm guessing you have miscounted the number of 6 win teams, and there are three teams playing for a 6th win next weekend. I would think there would already be some mainstream media buzz if there were to be multiple 5-7 teams in bowls this year

Yep, I could be mistaken, but I thought I had read that there were enough 6 win teams and there would be no 5-7 teams in bowls this year.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I just went again and found 73 teams with 6 wins. Plus 3 teams with 5 wins that are playing next week. So a possibility of 76 total, unless I'm totally missing something...

(Edit: I was missing the AAC, which puts the count at 80)

AAC - 7
ACC - 9
Big12 - 8
Big10 - 8
CUSA - 10
Independent - 2
MAC - 7
MtnW - 6
PAC12 - 9
SEC - 10
Sun Belt - 4

5 win teams playing next week:
Florida State
UL - Lafayette
New Mexico State

And 40 bowl games (+1 for championship) needs 80 teams.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I just went again and found 73 teams with 6 wins. Plus 3 teams with 5 wins that are playing next week. So a possibility of 76 total, unless I'm totally missing something...

ACC - 9
Big12 - 8
Big10 - 8
CUSA - 10
Independent - 2
MAC - 7
MtnW - 6
PAC12 - 9
SEC - 10
Sun Belt - 4

5 win teams playing next week:
Florida State
UL - Lafayette
New Mexico State

And 40 bowl games (+1 for championship) needs 80 teams.

I will go see if i can find the article, but I know it said that there are enough 6 win teams to cover all bowls. And I thought it also said there were a TOTAL of 78 spots, not 80.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Not that it matters with those numbers but Ole Miss is bowl eligible but has self imposed a post season ban so the SEC number is only 9. But it looks likely that there won't be any need for a 5-7 bowl team

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Actually the Shiano thing isn't really second hand, the guy that blew the lid off the story said under oath that he came to his office white as a ghost because he saw Sandusky doing something.

That’s actually not what happened. McQueary testified that he heard Schiano saw something. The guy McQueary supposedly heard it from (name escapes me) and Schiano both deny it. So really all he did was relay second hand hearsay from an event that occurred 20 years ago.

I don’t blame you for not knowing that though and going with the version of the story you believe to be true. It seems that’s the exact kind of thinking that took over Vol land and no one bothered to check the facts. The internet mob rarely does.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
That’s actually not what happened. McQueary testified that he heard Schiano saw something. The guy McQueary supposedly heard it from (name escapes me) and Schiano both deny it. So really all he did was relay second hand hearsay from an event that occurred 20 years ago.

I don’t blame you for not knowing that though and going with the version of the story you believe to be true. It seems that’s the exact kind of thinking that took over Vol land and no one bothered to check the facts. The internet mob rarely does.

Either way I think they are better off just staying away from it, especially when you factor in the lawsuit and several other incidents over the years that were sexual in nature.

Lets face it though the fans didn't want him to begin with, and starting off being a target isn't a good way to start your tenure at an SEC school.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Either way I think they are better off just staying away from it, especially when you factor in the lawsuit and several other incidents over the years that were sexual in nature.

Lets face it though the fans didn't want him to begin with, and starting off being a target isn't a good way to start your tenure at an SEC school.

I agree with part of your first statement. The AD should have stayed away even if he thought there was a .000001% chance of the statement being true. Not sure what you're referring to in reference to the lawsuit and "several other incidents over the years that were sexual in nature".

As for the second statement, the Vol crazies were going to be against pretty much anyone not named Gruden. I'm not sure who to blame on that one though. The administration could have killed that rumor at any point but should they really have to?

If you guys ever want to see a bunch of crazies posting on the internet hop over to the Vol nation forums. It's quite a treat...

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I agree with part of your first statement. The AD should have stayed away even if he thought there was a .000001% chance of the statement being true. Not sure what you're referring to in reference to the lawsuit and "several other incidents over the years that were sexual in nature".

As for the second statement, the Vol crazies were going to be against pretty much anyone not named Gruden. I'm not sure who to blame on that one though. The administration could have killed that rumor at any point but should they really have to?

If you guys ever want to see a bunch of crazies posting on the internet hop over to the Vol nation forums. It's quite a treat...

University Of Tennessee Settles Sexual Assault Lawsuit

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I'm curious as to whether or not this will hurt the Vols. I know a few Ohio State fans who understand what the fans were doing but they all said once he's in charge, the fans would be happy. The SEC is already a shit show to begin with so I don't know how appealing UT is now to established coaches who don't want to deal with the mobs of fans down here. Coaches desperate for an opportunity won't care, but the bigger names likely will.

Reactions: LCPreds

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I'm curious as to whether or not this will hurt the Vols. I know a few Ohio State fans who understand what the fans were doing but they all said once he's in charge, the fans would be happy. The SEC is already a **** show to begin with so I don't know how appealing UT is now to established coaches who don't want to deal with the mobs of fans down here. Coaches desperate for an opportunity won't care, but the bigger names likely will.

It has to hurt them. Why would anyone want to come put up with this fan base? Seems like the ceiling now would be getting someone like Kiffin to come back. How hilarious would that be? One could argue that his walking out on the program when he did was potentially what caused them to end up where they are today.

Next up would likely be someone either on par with Dooley or previous ties to the program like a Tee Martin. Or maybe they could convince Sumlin, but come on that guy was just average while being at a school where you don't even really have to recruit out of state to be successful. I'm not convinced he could eclipse anything Butch Jones did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad