The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Have you ever been to an NFL game ?

Yes I used to go to Chargers games (in a God awful stadium). Went to a Seahawks game last year. Have been to a few Titans games. A sport like hockey is the more "exciting" sport in-person to me than football, but the game itself is generally entertaining and the game itself is only part of the experience on a game day.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
That's just it. NFL is more about gameday and "experience" than hockey. Case in point: tailgating is the most popular thing to do at a Packers game.

Because Football SUCKS! so people party in the parking lot instead.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Meh. The live audience part of football is not nearly as crucial as the television packages. As long as people watch on TV, the NFL will remain profitable

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Nobody wants to watch a baseball game if it isn't their team or maybe if it's the playoffs. Local ratings are still good though.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
That's part of the reason why Bud pushed so hard to add the second wild card. You theoretically have a 1 in 3 chance of making the post-season - even if that post-season may only be one game.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Nobody wants to watch a baseball game if it isn't their team or maybe if it's the playoffs. Local ratings are still good though.

I agree. However, I think that there are too many games on cable. Look at the Brewers. Fox Sports carries 100+ games and Channel 24 has how many?

Nationally we have ESPN, ESPN2, Fox, Fox Sports, TBS and MLB.
I have cable, but if you don't, you are kind of screwed by the last TV contract.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I agree. However, I think that there are too many games on cable. Look at the Brewers. Fox Sports carries 100+ games and Channel 24 has how many?

24 hasn't had games in around 7 or 8 years now. It shouldn't be that big of a problem. FS Wisconsin is carried on every standard package, so even if you don't want a ton of channels you can get sports channels relatively cheap.

I doubt any team has games on channels as low quality as 24 or something like WMLW which used to have a few.

Part of the problem is the 162 game season. It's exhausting. MLB will never shorten the schedule though because that means giving up money.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Not sure if anyone else here watches NASCAR but Jeff Gordon just got totally screwed....

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I was actually talking about Bowyers piddly little spinout with 3 laps to go. Gordon was running away with the race but the yellow gave the field a chance to catch him. If that doesnt happen the tire cut doesnt happen either

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Ole Miss... gone from national title payoff contender to likely Chick Fil A Peach Bowl participant in just three short weeks....

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
So UAB is ending the football program. Ouch

Supposedly there is more than a little skulduggery going on there that is beyond the control of UAB administration. Regardless, it's the end of Blazer athletics as we know it; Conference USA will kick them out, which devastates their recruiting for other sports, and their presence on the national stage will be diminished greatly.

Things are about to get worse for the Group o'Five if McFarland's comments on Memphis bolting from The American to the Big 12 prove true. Popular speculation is the league would also take Cincinnati (although I wouldn't rule out BYU if the Cougars get that opportunity). That probably means UMass to The American, and possibly Marshall if Cincinnati leaves.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Why not just condense down to 8 conferences, use the Con champ. As the first round of the playoff system. And then re-seed using BCS system? Logic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad