OT: The Other Sports Thread Part X

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Vrabel fired. I am pretty shocked.

I assumed the rumor of the rift between Vrabel and the new GM was just Stillman being Stillman but there must have been some truth to it.

We probably just did the Patriots a huge favor.
I think firing Vrabel may be the right choice with how the whole situation has played out since the AJ Brown trade, but it never should have gotten to that point.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
I think firing Vrabel may be the right choice with how the whole situation has played out since the AJ Brown trade, but it never should have gotten to that point.

AJ Brown debacle was on Jon Robinson. I thought that firing him and bringing in Ran Carthon from SF was going to put us on the right track, but apparently Vrabel was not happy with the hierarchy.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
AJ Brown debacle was on Jon Robinson. I thought that firing him and bringing in Ran Carthon from SF was going to put us on the right track, but apparently Vrabel was not happy with the hierarchy.
I do respect the Titans in letting Vrabel go vs what some have said NE would do with BB and seek compensation for him via a trade. If the team and HC are not on the same path, move on. Lets the Titans begin their search and allows Vrabel to get interviews early as he probably is right up there with Harbaugh as the top candidate, ahead of Ben Johnson, OC for Detroit.

Vrabel can either get another job and get right back into it or take the year off and collect his Titans money for another year while he recharges for 2025 season.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
This can be yet another coaching death spiral. Seems we like putting our young qbs through multiple coaching changes every year (hc or oc). Might as well ensure Levis gets to enjoy that tradition.

Hopefully they make a good hire.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I mean the reasoning of the owner makes sense to me. You can't really build a team around a power running game anymore because RB's simply can't hold up very long. You get about 3 maybe 4 years and then you better have one ready to replace them.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I mean the reasoning of the owner makes sense to me. You can't really build a team around a power running game anymore because RB's simply can't hold up very long. You get about 3 maybe 4 years and then you better have one ready to replace them.

On the other hand, we had Derrick Henry. We also had a couple of really good shots with that core play style.

Anyway, Vrabel will get snatched up quickly and likely do well. I’m just tired of the mediocrity. I assume we’ll do something dumb with the draft pick, choose the wrong free agents, extend the wrong current roster players for too much, etc. Maybe they’ll get it right this time (all around).

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
I still have faith in the new GM but any goodwill that AAS has built since she took over is on life support.

Find a C and G in free agency. Draft Joe Alt or Olu Fashanu at 7. Grab a WR in Round 2 and let's roll.

Reactions: LCPreds

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I still have faith in the new GM but any goodwill that AAS has built since she took over is on life support.

Find a C and G in free agency. Draft Joe Alt or Olu Fashanu at 7. Grab a WR in Round 2 and let's roll.

It wouldn’t surprise me if that win on Sunday cost us one of those top 2 OT. Of course there’s always a chance they’re both still there. It will likely depend on if a 3rd or 4th qb jumps up there.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
I heard Mayo would be the headcoach. I'm hearing Vrabel to Seattle.

Mayo's name has been thrown out for sure. But I feel that was all before Vrabel was let go. Now that he's available he's got to be Kraft's top target.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
I’ll preface this with I think the NFL is a garbage league and I really don’t watch it anymore.

I don’t understand the blind adoration for Mike Vrabel among the Titans fans. He managed to win exactly 2 playoff games in six years. Thats all he accomplished as a head coach, that’s not that impressive nor is worthy of the god-like status that franchise’s fans bestow upon him.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
I’ll preface this with I think the NFL is a garbage league and I really don’t watch it anymore.

I don’t understand the blind adoration for Mike Vrabel among the Titans fans. He managed to win exactly 2 playoff games in six years. Thats all he accomplished as a head coach, that’s not that impressive nor is worthy of the god-like status that franchise’s fans bestow upon him.

I think he's a great coach and it's obvious how much the players respect him and love playing for him.
Jon Robinson's terrible drafting and decision making coupled with the numerous injuries over the past few years are much more of a driving force behind the struggles than Vrabel as a coach.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Yeah I don't get it either, but then again I think the NFL isn't all that entertaining. I'd much rather watch college ball

Reactions: ShagDaddy

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It's probably because Vrabel brought more success to the franchise than it had seen since the McNair/George era. It also helps that the teams downfall can pretty easily be attributed to some silly decisions by the GM that Vrabel didn't seem to agree with.

Reactions: jumb0

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Eh from what I saw Vrabel made his own poor decisions, mainly on his staff. Some of his choices didn't exactly set the world on fire.

I'd also be interested in how much input he had as far as the draft.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
It's probably because Vrabel brought more success to the franchise than it had seen since the McNair/George era. It also helps that the teams downfall can pretty easily be attributed to some silly decisions by the GM that Vrabel didn't seem to agree with.
If two playoff wins in six years is considered success they must truly be a poverty franchise I didn’t realize they were that bad off.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
If two playoff wins in six years is considered success they must truly be a poverty franchise I didn’t realize they were that bad off.
Green Bay missed the playoffs last season and people are still talking about it. I think that convinced the Packers to move on from Aaron Rodgers.

FIrst year starter Jordan Love came through with the post season save. We will see if the Packers can upset Dallas at Jerry World.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Mayo is the new HC of New England. He's been coach in waiting for a couple of years.

Pretty interesting how they did this too. Apparently it was written into his contract so they didn’t even have to go through interviews for this hire.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Pretty interesting how they did this too. Apparently it was written into his contract so they didn’t even have to go through interviews for this hire.
Isn't that against the NFL's Rooney Rule?

New England not following the rules again?

Video tape at 9 and 10. This is deflating!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad