OT: The Other Sports Thread Part X

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Old thread way over 1000 posts. Kept waiting for the migration to create new one but since it isnt happening right now thought it best to just start fresh.

So to recap the previous pages

Titans are the walking wounded and currently fielding the football equivalent of a beer league team

Nashville SC had a tough end to a good season

Cincy has a spot in the CFP in their grasp, they just have to win against Houston.

Continue...

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
huge blow to ND. Riley to USC.

crazy movement in college football coaches.

no one better say a word about any athlete transferring ever again.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Kelly won't last 3 years at LSU, just don't see him being a fit there.

Other rumor floating is Ohio St. Coach is heading to the Bears which means Cincinnati may be looking for a new coach.

I think this is just the start of the coaching chaos.

And I'm fine with players moving around if coaches have the kind of freedom they do to move around.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Holy shit when is MLB gonna get with the rest of the world and have a salary cap?
Sherzer gets 43 million a year at age 37... insane.

I just dont get where MLB gets all its revenue. Are the TV contracts really that good? Or with 81 home games a year is the gate driving this?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Holy shit when is MLB gonna get with the rest of the world and have a salary cap?
Sherzer gets 43 million a year at age 37... insane.

I just dont get where MLB gets all its revenue. Are the TV contracts really that good? Or with 81 home games a year is the gate driving this?
TV contracts both Nationally and locally are huge for baseball, and the 162 games a year help drive that. Fox pays, $730M, Espn pays $550M and Turner pays $470M. That's just the national tv contract, not local. So that's what $750 M a team.

I should say I don't know how the TV revenue is split.

Last edited:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Yeah, I'm sure he made a phone call this morning.

Apparently he has an automatic escalator where he gets the average salary of the top 3 SEC coaches or top 5 coaches overall. Saban is really the only coach worth the crazy amount of money that has been thrown around the last few weeks.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
TV contracts both Nationally and locally are huge for baseball, and the 162 games a year help drive that. Fox pays, $730M, Espn pays $550M and Turner pays $470M. That's just the national tv contract, not local. So that's what $750 M a team.

I should say I don't know how the TV revenue is split.

Math is off a bit. The total of those three is 1.75 billion, but split 30 ways is just about 58 million per team

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Math is off a bit. The total of those three is 1.75 billion, but split 30 ways is just about 58 million per team
Braves had around 2.3 million fans pay for tickets last year.
Average ticket prices in 2021 were $35. Certain markets will obviously do a lot better and be more expensive.

that’s 80.5 million for the braves assuming the prices averaged $35 and I would say they were higher considering the WS title. Doesn’t include concessions and such obviously.

81 home games is a lot of revenue.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Braves had around 2.3 million fans pay for tickets last year.
Average ticket prices in 2021 were $35. Certain markets will obviously do a lot better and be more expensive.

that’s 80.5 million for the braves assuming the prices averaged $35 and I would say they were higher considering the WS title. Doesn’t include concessions and such obviously.

81 home games is a lot of revenue.

I don't know how you can even calculate the average ticket price. The Brewers charge one price for a seat against the Mets and a higher price against the Cubs, just like an airline. The price to park also goes up $5 for a Cubs game.

The Brewers averaged 22,500 a game in 2021, down from 2018 and 2019 where is was 35,200 and 36,100 (2.92 million fans).

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I guess local TV contracts are pretty sweet in the large markets plus merchandise revenue and corporate sponsorship. But youd think the "have not" owners would look around at the parity in the NFL and NHL (and to a lesser extent the NBA) and demand a salary cap.

The only reason I can imagine it not happening is if the very wealthy teams are already sharing revenue with the poor teams

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I guess local TV contracts are pretty sweet in the large markets plus merchandise revenue and corporate sponsorship. But youd think the "have not" owners would look around at the parity in the NFL and NHL (and to a lesser extent the NBA) and demand a salary cap.

The only reason I can imagine it not happening is if the very wealthy teams are already sharing revenue with the poor teams
I just don't see how teams could be "poor". If they're getting like you said, $58m for the TV contract alone. Even if you only sold 2M tickets at $35 each on average, and sold no merch or concessions, no title sponsors, etc, and no local broadcasting rights, you're still able to get pretty close to the league average payroll of $127M

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I just don't see how teams could be "poor". If they're getting like you said, $58m for the TV contract alone. Even if you only sold 2M tickets at $35 each on average, and sold no merch or concessions, no title sponsors, etc, and no local broadcasting rights, you're still able to get pretty close to the league average payroll of $127M

That's just player payroll. How much do they spend on staff, and the minors, and transportation, etc.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
That's just player payroll. How much do they spend on staff, and the minors, and transportation, etc.
I don't know, but I just included 2 revenue sources. I'm sure op ex dollars are huge in an outfit that big, but there's also a ton of other revenue streams that should offset that as well. Hell, teams throw out like 5 title sponsored first pitches now, and every play seems to be a titled sponsored play. Not to even mention stadium naming rights.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00