The Official Tank Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
As someone who has lurked around here for awhile and would like to post more but am nervous, everyone should keep in mind that some fans (like me) just have different priorities as a fan. All this talk about if you're okay with the last few years, you like mediocrity or losing or you're a Holland worshiper or you're not a smart fan is sometimes off-putting. I love hockey and I love the Red Wings and I want my sports fandom to be fun so I make it fun. I find things to enjoy and be excited about always, whether it's watching young players develop, seeing Zetterberg still going strong this year, admiring specific goals or saves. I don't think that makes me a bad or foolish fan, and I still enjoy discussions about trades & signings and the team's direction. Maybe I would feel differently if they hadn't won 4 cups in my lifetime but I don't think so. I'm a Lions fan too after all. :D

As to the current season and the tank subject of this thread, I have an honest question for people. I'm on board with the notion that this season is a loss and I'd be fine with them finishing as low in the standings as possible to get a good draft pick. But I can't root for individual players or the team as a whole to play poorly, that just feels wrong. How do you guys reconcile that in your mind? Just curious because it's something I've been struggling with the past few weeks.

As a member of the tank brigade, I am sorry that the rhetoric can be too harsh sometimes. We don't mean to discourage you from posting, it's just when you're so passionate about a team sometimes we can be a little over the top. I sincerely hope that you stick around because everyone's opinion is valuable. Peronally, I mostly try to limit being disrespectful but sometimes I feel like people are just trolling and when that happens I can come on a bit strong.

I struggle with hoping for them to lose as well sometimes. It's impossible for me not to cheer when Z scores even though it's bad for the team. As far as other players...what makes it easier is I honestly dislike a lot of this team. I like Mantha, AA, Larkin, Z, Nyquist, Tatar, and Mrazek. I loved Helm when he skated hard and was always so involved (before he became a "skill" player) so I'm still happy when he succeeds. I still like Kronwall, but I think he should have LTIRetired a couple of years ago.

But then a lot of guys I straight up dislike. Abdelkder is probably the best example. He's not a gritty power forward type who works hard and earns his inches, but instead one of those annoying agitator guys that hurts you with little dirt plays. I hate that type of player, no honor, no skill, nothing valuable, straight trash...so watching Abdelkader fail is easy. He earns some brownie points because he always wanted to be Wing, but it's not nearly enough. Some of the others I dislike just because they never do anything entertaining (Sheahan), they mostly seem like good people though so that makes it tougher sometimes.

But I'd say that I actively dislike about a third of the team, am fairly neutral on a third and actively like a third so when that's my opinion of the players and the team its much easier to hope for them to lose. I can abide the boring and dirty players when the rest of the team is enough to distract me because you need those guys to win...but when it comes time for losing I turn my attention to the guys that boil my blood.

I also try to catch other teams games occasionally just for some good old fashion entertainment. Watching Tampa, Washington or Edmonton specifically has made this season much easier. Hopefully the Wings can get back to that kind of hockey. Skill and speed, for now we're that bad team with some fun kids, a couple of vets you gave your heart to years ago and could never take it back, some guys that are easy to hate and then a whole lot of boring filler. It's hard to root against the Winged Wheel and hard to root against some of these players, but it's easy to root against a lot of the team.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I cheer like hell for them to win any game that they can. If they lose, it doesn't hurt near as bad because it's a lost season.

I just can't let myself go down the well of "I want them to lose". There is one season where I eventually rooted for a team to lose (2008 with the Lions) but that was because that team was ****ing helpless. Not "mediocre and on the bubble and going nowhere, but a pile of **** that was only going to get more rancid, no matter how many picks they'd land. That one they had the chance and the need to be historically bad to force the Fords to get Millen out of there.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I cheer like hell for them to win any game that they can. If they lose, it doesn't hurt near as bad because it's a lost season.

I just can't let myself go down the well of "I want them to lose". There is one season where I eventually rooted for a team to lose (2008 with the Lions) but that was because that team was ****ing helpless. Not "mediocre and on the bubble and going nowhere, but a pile of **** that was only going to get more rancid, no matter how many picks they'd land. That one they had the chance and the need to be historically bad to force the Fords to get Millen out of there.

That's the position I took as well. Early on in the season I still had hope that we could be a bubble team but once the injuries piled up and our play worsened the losses didn't nearly effect me as much as they had in the previous years. At this point I'm watching the games to be entertained and if we win it's an extra present. With how the lottery is set up now it's not a guarantee that finishing in the bottom 3 will get you a top 3 pick.

If you look at last year the teams that were 30th, 27th, & 25th picked in the top 3 so the lottery picks are very much that now.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
There is no way after this season its cup or bust, unless Holland adds Shatenkirk and McDavid to this team. And don't see how you can blame Blashill for this team. This team was a bubble team when Babs left, and he's arguably the best coach in the league. Add to that the loss of Datsyuk and this team is only preforming marginally worse than it should. The players who are currently "under performing" are ones who actually over performed in the past. Without elite talent to shelter them, they have come back to earth. Sorry, but this dumpster fire fall squarely on Holland. No matter how much Blashill rearranges deck chairs, this Titanic was bound to sink.

Please explain to me Sheham on the power play. Please explain aa only getting 2 shifts in the 2nd after he scored. Please explain to me Mantha and why other people are not benched for failing to try. Please explain why the coach thinks Dek is an offensive deference man.
Please explain to me what we are trying to do on the power play?
Nice excuses on the people were over performing bs. So EVERY player on the roster was playing above their ability. Give it up blashill sucks.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Explain why you like the nick name Sheham so much and why it's Blash's fault when it's always the refs fault

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't think anyone is defending Blash anymore. the only thing I've seen people say is it really doesn't matter who your coach is when your team is devoid of talent. It took one of the greatest coaches of all times to back this team into the playoffs and the team gets worse every season.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Explain why you like the nick name Sheham so much and why it's Blash's fault when it's always the refs fault

Sheham?

I don't even get it.

Though in my book a great way for someone to reduce the credibility of anything they post is to use stupid names like Mrasuck, Errorson, Osbad, etc.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
deflecting just shows that you lost.
But ultimately the season is on the front office. They either performed or approved the moves that assembled this roster, and ultimately decided that Jeff Blashill was the guy to retain for these 82 games.

Is he way over his head behind the bench? Yeah, unfortunately so.
But the talent level for the cap scenario Detroit has is a bigger problem.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Sheham?

I don't even get it.

Though in my book a great way for someone to reduce the credibility of anything they post is to use stupid names like Mrasuck, Errorson, Osbad, etc.
It's like Jolly and Blabhill, why? Because he talks a lot? I 100% agree, any name like that is rarely even clever, no point to it.
deflecting just shows that you lost.
Was never even in the argument, bud.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
...I've never thought we were Cup team this year, but I still think we are a bubble quality team that has had a miserable year. Do I want to be a middle of the pack team, praying to get lucky in the middle of the draft? Not really, but I think that's we are going to see next year.

Thinking again about this post it could very well be the sad and honest truth. At times we've appeared to be a bottom 5'er but then again should have won more. 5-11 I think in OT? The PP a historic low going back the the late 1960's, etc. Holland may be imagining that if Blashill is let go and they can re-tool the blueline this team is good enough to fight for a playoff spot next season.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
All of our stats point to bottom five team. There's nothing artificially holding this team down. You can say the pp could be better but we aren't laden with great pp players and some of that is offset by zetterbergs tremendous unexpected season which he's unlikely (though I hate doubting him) to replicate next season. Perhaps goaltending is bettee next year if petr has a bounce back year or Howard can some how stay healthy. But I really don't see this team finishing any better next year.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
All of our stats point to bottom five team. There's nothing artificially holding this team down. You can say the pp could be better but we aren't laden with great pp players and some of that is offset by zetterbergs tremendous unexpected season which he's unlikely (though I hate doubting him) to replicate next season. Perhaps goaltending is bettee next year if petr has a bounce back year or Howard can some how stay healthy. But I really don't see this team finishing any better next year.
Agreed. While there were several factors that under performed significantly more than expected (Mrazek and the power play, most notably), there were other factors that were aberrations in the positive (Zetterberg, Vanek, the shootout record).

I'm not saying everything is a wash, because I think the negative surprises were of an overall larger magnitude, but this is definitely a bottom 10 hockey club at this point, and likely more bottom 5.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Honestly the only way I see us doing better next year is if we win the lottery, draft Hischier and he way overperforms, Mrazek, Nyquist and Tatar all have big bounce back seasons, and Larkin, Mantha and AA all take a step forward... And our defense would still be (arguably) the worst in the league so even if all of that happens we wouldn't make it far in the playoffs (if we made it at all). This is a bottom 5 team and that's not changing until half of it has been replaced.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
now there's an interesting little scheduling quirk i've never seen before

the Wings are playing games three days in a row on Sunday/Monday/Tuesday

I assume because of that one game earlier in the year that got postponed

should be an advantage for Carolina presumably who will only be playing back to back games instead of back to back to back

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan

should be an advantage for Carolina presumably who will only be playing back to back games instead of back to back to back

Excellent opportunity to lose three in a row and get back to a top 5 spot.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

December 19th because Carolina's got bad ice management.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
A small blue pill for you guys who follow the draft closely and are pro tank.

http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/mock_draft
Yeah, I had seen those. It's nice that they include the first round prospects, but a link to some data on each one would've made the list more interesting.

I like the 'Pick Odds' tab, though. Nice to see just how likely each scenario is for each team. Although something seems inherently wrong about Colorado having basically a coin flip (49.8 percent chance) of dropping all the way to 4th. I get that everybody has a chance at a top 3 pick, but those are really high odds of falling 3 spots, and that would be quite the kick in the pants after how bad a year they've had.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yeah, I had seen those. It's nice that they include the first round prospects, but a link to some data on each one would've made the list more interesting.

I like the 'Pick Odds' tab, though. Nice to see just how likely each scenario is for each team. Although something seems inherently wrong about Colorado having basically a coin flip (49.8 percent chance) of dropping all the way to 4th. I get that everybody has a chance at a top 3 pick, but those are really high odds of falling 3 spots, and that would be quite the kick in the pants after how bad a year they've had.

Yeah if I was an Avs fan and they fell down to 4 that would be super depressing. The fans deserve 1OA for the torture they've gone through. I hope the Wings get to renew the rivalry with a win in the lottery this time haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad