The Official Tank Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
I never want to tank. Do you best no matter how far back you are. Are one of the prospects drafted in the top Five really gonna make The Wings in the next two years? I doubt it. Yes the Wings could use a top
PLY center, one top D and a top four two way D to compete, IMO.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I never want to tank. Do you best no matter how far back you are.

The players? Absolutely. They need to keep clawing to win games. That's good for them. You don't grow as a player going half-assed.

But management should construct a team that is focused on the future and building towards a core of young players. And at this point in the season, when you know playoffs are gone, ride your young players and let them experience as much top line NHL hockey as possible. These are all exhibition/scrimmage games for the Wings, practically speaking.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The players? Absolutely. They need to keep clawing to win games. That's good for them. You don't grow as a player going half-assed.

But management should construct a team that is focused on the future and building towards a core of young players. And at this point in the season, when you know playoffs are gone, ride your young players and let them experience as much top line NHL hockey as possible. These are all exhibition/scrimmage games for the Wings, practically speaking.

Yeah at this point a couple of things should be happening. One is Larkin should be getting 16-18 minutes at least in terms of run at center. We need to see it, Sheahan handling the bulk of his defensive responsibility does nothing for us.

There are ways this team should be playing right now that they are not. I would also like Drew Miller completely out of the lineup. Focusing big on those two things would make me a lot happier.

I think you still try to win, but you rely heavily on guys that should factor into that next season and the couple of years beyond.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I'm glad guys like Tatar, Mantha and AA have been scoring. Zetterberg has been a BEAST. And I think Howard should stay on the team and use Mrazek as trade bait. I don't see him as an NHL starter.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Nolan Patrick and Nico Hischier would be on this team next year, no doubt about it. And next year, any number of players could make the jump right away. This is not that good of a team.

No doubt Hischier would be on the team next year? Disagree with that statement.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think they would send him down and talk about it the same way the Leafs did Marner.

I might add that I would actually agree with them doing that should that play out and we get him.

Yeah. I think we'd do what Tampa did with Drouin. Or at most what Buffalo did with Reinhart, give him 9 games then he goes down.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Ooh. Nice 3 point game Dallas/NJ. I like how Vancouver's making a game of it, too. Looks like Detroit's a best case 6th worst, though. I don't know how they catch Vancouver or NJ.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Again, I would pretty happy if they did that.

Patrick should stay up, he is really the only one I think that about.

Agreed. Don't think he's physically ready for a season against NHL'ers. Not sure he's strong enough, and he's slowed down lately in Juniors so not sure he could maintain a high level of play over 82 games against bigger and better players.

Would be pumped to have him regardless, though.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Yeah at this point a couple of things should be happening. One is Larkin should be getting 16-18 minutes at least in terms of run at center. We need to see it, Sheahan handling the bulk of his defensive responsibility does nothing for us.

There are ways this team should be playing right now that they are not. I would also like Drew Miller completely out of the lineup. Focusing big on those two things would make me a lot happier.

I think you still try to win, but you rely heavily on guys that should factor into that next season and the couple of years beyond.

Offensive zone faceoff in a throwaway game? Better let Sheahan take it instead of getting Larkin some valuable in-game practice. Happened a couple times last night. :shakehead

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia

I agree, play the young ones as much as they can. If you lose because of that than so be it. Larkin needs to either play center or wing and just concentrate on one position.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
Nolan Patrick and Nico Hischier would be on this team next year, no doubt about it. And next year, any number of players could make the jump right away. This is not that good of a team.
While they may be talented enough are you forgetting who the GM is? I am not sure if he would let them play without having to pay their dues.. While this team is not as good as some it is not as bad as some think. Are they two to three players away from making the playoffs, maybe, it depends on how and how well Z can continue to play and the young forwards like Mantha and AA to improve like they are doing. They need a top line playmaking center plus a top two d who can skate and move the puck, a hard and accurate shot would be nice. I also think another top 4, prefer someone who can be at least a # 3 and can play both ways. If they were to somehow acquire those than they could be really close if not make the playoffs. All of those pieces are really hard to acquire. They dont need any of those pieces to over 32 and signed to longer termed contracts. I prefer 24-30 age range.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Patrick would definitely play on this team. He mostly just has to make sure he stays healthy and he'll go straight to the NHL on any team. I think it'll probably be as like a 3C for most of his first season with good power play time, mostly on the second unit.

With Hischier he's allowed to go to the AHL which is probably want him to pay his dues and it will allow him to adapt to the pros for a bit and he'll definitely play his nine games in the first season. But after half to a full season he'd be up I think. He's too talented to stay down for long. You want him learning how to beat guys in the NHL as soon as he's ready. He'd quickly be our 1C I think with Mantha and Z on his wings haha.

Then like Nyquist/Tatar-Larkin-Athanasiou

That top six isn't incredible or anything but there's a lot to like there. Plus with Svech coming up soon It would start to look like a decent top six.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Avalanche clinched last place. They should win out now since it won't ruin their chances at Patrick

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Despite the pitiful state some of us here believe the Wings are in they're proving not to be a bottom 5 team. For as enraged, bored, and depressed they've made me at times I find it hard to believe there are "worse" teams but there truly is, at least as far as points are concerned. Amazing we could go on a run for the last 7 games and easily end up 10th. Oh well, it is what it is.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
As much as I love seeing mantha and AA produce I just can't help but to feel pissed off at the fact that they are starting to win games when all chances are gone.. And then we'll ofcourse see Holland say that we're keeping Blashill since the team showed a promising finish to the season

God ****ing dammit just lose now!

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Despite the pitiful state some of us here believe the Wings are in they're proving not to be a bottom 5 team. For as enraged, bored, and depressed they've made me at times I find it hard to believe there are "worse" teams but there truly is, at least as far as points are concerned. Amazing we could go on a run for the last 7 games and easily end up 10th. Oh well, it is what it is.

Yeah, we're not a complete gong show. Z has been a beast, we have four good wingers, Mrazek has gotten better and Howard has been so good that if he had been healthy all season we could be challenging for a playoff spot.

Even the D, as talent-sparse as it is, seems to be getting the job done, and DDK looks less bad now he's off the top pair.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
This is going to catch me some flak, but I can't wait until Zetterberg declines and retires. He's a great player (actually, my favorite player), but he's just hurting this team. He's the only scoring line center we've got (and until Blashill gets his head out of his rectum, that's counting Larkin, too), but the fact that he's been so good is what is keeping us from drafting other scoring line centers to replace him. Hopefully he has no Jagr-type designs for his career, because this team still needs to rebuild. Him dragging them into the playoffs every year is just not helping, and several more years would just compound the problem.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is going to catch me some flak, but I can't wait until Zetterberg declines and retires. He's a great player (actually, my favorite player), but he's just hurting this team. He's the only scoring line center we've got (and until Blashill gets his head out of his rectum, that's counting Larkin, too), but the fact that he's been so good is what is keeping us from drafting other scoring line centers to replace him. Hopefully he has no Jagr-type designs for his career, because this team still needs to rebuild. Him dragging them into the playoffs every year is just not helping, and several more years would just compound the problem.

I realize we've won 5 of the last 7, but we're still looking at a #7 pick and when I look at our upcoming schedule I could easily see us losing 3 of the next 4.

Relax. As long as the defense remains 80% trash, Zetterberg can spoon feed these kids all day and we'll still stink.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I realize we've won 5 of the last 7, but we're still looking at a #7 pick and when I look at our upcoming schedule I could easily see us losing 3 of the next 4.

Relax. As long as the defense remains 80% trash, Zetterberg can spoon feed these kids all day and we'll still stink.
Yeah, but #7 is not going to cut it if we want to rebuild with elite players and win Cups. Besides, saying this won't happen again next year is a stretch for me. I think Holland intends to make the playoffs, which could include overhauling that defense. This might have been our only real window to draft top 3, and we blew it for meaningless points in a meaningless part of the season.

The other part of the charm is that without Zetterberg, Holland can't even dream of making the playoffs. It'd be glorious. We'd have to actually rebuild! I can't even imagine it at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese