The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Never cared for the Jim Rome style. The fake tough guy on the radio schtick just doesn't work. You're a schlep on the radio, not on the front lines in Afghanistan.

I turn on the radio to learn something, and get news about my favorite teams...not to hear people arguing their 'hot takes' or making adolescent locker room jokes.

Reactions: Flamingo

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
No throwback Thursday on the drive this week? I am dissapoint. Did Janne Laukannen cancel at the last minute?

I’ve been really enjoying those segments. I hope they keep doing them.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Pretty big game tonight for the Raptors but yeah, let’s push ultimate frisbee...

TBH, I don't defend the station very often, but it is a local professional team that is trying to build up a fanbase and the most likely reached out to the station to help deliver the message, and help create some buzz, therefore, I do understand why.

That doesn't excuse them from dismissing the NFL Draft or the Raps game tonight. If they covered sports properly like most sports radio stations, having a segment to help pump a local team wouldn't seem so bad, but when you cover very little on a three hour show and make a point to discuss Ultimate Frisbee, its bad.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
TBH, I don't defend the station very often, but it is a local professional team that is trying to build up a fanbase and the most likely reached out to the station to help deliver the message, and help create some buzz, therefore, I do understand why.

That doesn't excuse them from dismissing the NFL Draft or the Raps game tonight. If they covered sports properly like most sports radio stations, having a segment to help pump a local team wouldn't seem so bad, but when you cover very little on a three hour show and make a point to discuss Ultimate Frisbee, its bad.
ahhhhhh, you play frisbee.

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
You can blame the hosts, but I think the problem is probably back end hosts/producers/prep people. Mendes and Simpson can't keep up on 8 sports, they need help, which they aren't getting.

If you listen to Rome he'll touch on all different sports with pretty impressive knowledge, but I'm sure he's got a ton of people prepping him. He's not watching 20 games/night and coming up with takes.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Battle of the Atlantic still remains this stations best show. I would listen to 3 hours everyday over the clown show at TGOR.

Right now the only shows I tune into are Battle of the Atlantic, The Drive with Ian and Simmer, That's what she said if its Sens related and sometimes TSN Weekend if host isn't acting like an idiot, and tempered a bit, and not going off his weekly Mika Zibanejad rants.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Dorion coming up on the drive at 2:05 today.

Buckle up! Would love if Ian would call him out about his comments on the media coverage of the team, but I am sure that the pre-scripted questions have already been hand delivered and rehearsed.

I wonder if Simmer will be locked away in a closet again while Ian conducts the interview?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Buckle up! Would love if Ian would call him out about his comments on the media coverage of the team, but I am sure that the pre-scripted questions have already been hand delivered and rehearsed.

I wonder if Simmer will be locked away in a closet again while Ian conducts the interview?

Nah, that was just for Murray as per Murray’s request.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Well that was underwhelming. Sure we got news but the questions didn't grill him on any of the stupid comments he made or his moves as GM.

Also what the f*** is this dude's plan? Simmer asked him how this team is gonna improve and he basically says, well we're gonna be a better team. Yeah ok but how??? You're bringing back the same coaching staff, the same management, the same sub .900SV% goalies, the same defense it looks like and maybe a young player or two in the forwards. Where the hell is it going to improve?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Well that was underwhelming. Sure we got news but the questions didn't grill him on any of the stupid comments he made or his moves as GM.

Also what the **** is this dude's plan? Simmer asked him how this team is gonna improve and he basically says, well we're gonna be a better team. Yeah ok but how??? You're bringing back the same coaching staff, the same management, the same sub .900SV% goalies, the same defense it looks like and maybe a young player or two in the forwards. Where the hell is it going to improve?

I would have loved to hear an answer to this, albeit asked in a more respectful manner, and not even mentioning EK cuz you'll just get the same dumbass answer..

"Pierre, you say you're going to be better going forward, but with the same core group, the same coaching staff and the same goaltenders, and with no apparent saviour in Belleville, what are you specifically going to address this offseason to improve this team?"

And then watch him squirm.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Also what the **** is this dude's plan? Simmer asked him how this team is gonna improve and he basically says, well we're gonna be a better team. Yeah ok but how??? You're bringing back the same coaching staff, the same management, the same sub .900SV% goalies, the same defense it looks like and maybe a young player or two in the forwards. Where the hell is it going to improve?

What other news did we get? Seems to me that based on Twitter, the only thing his appearance did was to let us know that everything is staying exactly the same as last season. Cmon TSN1200, time to grow some, dude called you out in the town halls lets grill him!

Last edited:

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
What other news did we get? Seems to me that based on Twitter, the only thing his appearance did was to let us know that everything is staying exactly the same as last season. Cmon TSN1200, time to grow some, dude called you out in the town halls and we return to pre-scripted interviews with zero substance.

Well I guess the coaching staff staying put and the firing of coach KK is news to me.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
What other news did we get? Seems to me that based on Twitter, the only thing his appearance did was to let us know that everything is staying exactly the same as last season. Cmon TSN1200, time to grow some, dude called you out in the town halls lets grill him!

I doubt everything is staying the same. I expect a good deal of player turnover. Buyouts, trades, free agents are all possible. I think Dorion will be a busy man this summer,

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Just heard a segment with Brian Burke on the fan 590 in his new media analyst role. Too bad he is affiliated with Sportsnet because it would be a welcome relief to hear his frank, honest and no holds barred opinions on 1200. If you ask him about the state of the Senators, you would get opinions that would go to the core of the franchise. I've never been a fan of Burke but in his new role, he is exemplary! On a side note, after listening to 590 for a few days it is even more apparent how mediocre 1200 really is!

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Just heard a segment with Brian Burke on the fan 590 in his new media analyst role. Too bad he is affiliated with Sportsnet because it would be a welcome relief to hear his frank, honest and no holds barred opinions on 1200. If you ask him about the state of the Senators, you would get opinions that would go to the core of the franchise. I've never been a fan of Burke but in his new role, he is exemplary! On a side note, after listening to 590 for a few days it is even more apparent how mediocre 1200 really is!
What funny is TSN 690(Bell) carry Blue jays games which are broadcast on sportnet but in ottawa they are on 1310am(Rogers).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad