The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Alright! Thanks to TGOR, lets get back on track!

Any one else notice that TGOR has officially already mailed it in for the summer? The sports updates contain much more valuable sports talk than the entire TGOR show. Bill Carroll talked more hockey in the 7:00 hour today. Also, Ultimate Frisbee tickets in the 60 second shootout?? I think the contest has run its course. lol.

Sorry, just wanted to change the subject from the same conversation that's clogging up every thread.

Also, Dorion and Melnyk are liars. #MelnykOut

Reactions: BuckyDornster

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I would not say they mailed it in, but when their "Blue Team Elimination Watch" blew up in their faces after game 2, they actually had to watch hockey and talk and analyze it. TGOR hasn't really been any better or worse than usual; as long as they don't take calls or read emails on the air, show will be fine.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What is ridiculous, is people believing Rumours, and reacting to them as if they were 100% true, posting their outrage on website forums, and when the Trade deadline passes, and nothing happens ....... continue their outrage.

Wait until something happens, before tearing apart a GM or Coach.

This is a fight Dorion picked over a Rumour. There are millions of hockey rumours a year.

The real issue is Dorion and fans like you having a problem with the sports media and hockey rumours, the sports media reports about 75% on exactly rumours (signings, trades, coaches getting fired, expansion, relocation, rule changes)

Other rumours we dealt with this year that didn’t cause a ridiculously think skinned media backlash - Turris signing, Melnyk selling the team, hiring of front office staff, college free agents, Chris Neil signing somewhere, the Olympic team and who might be on it, Seattle - do you have a problem with any of those rumours or just this one specifically?

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Was it horse artificial insemination again?

Hmmm nice they must have gotten Producer Melnyk's notes again. Hopefully the horse business is going well for him unlike the unprofitable low energy sens franchise.

They are seriously the worst radio show in the country. Go listen to the other Canadian NHL cities morning shows and see the vast difference in quality. It's quite amazing actually.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chezzz

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Hmmm nice they must have gotten Producer Melnyk's notes again.

They are seriously the worst radio show in the country. Go listen to the other Canadian NHL cities morning shows and see the vast difference in quality. It's quite amazing actually.
Is it normal that all morning shows are geared towards morons? Like every radio station in the city practically beats their chest over how proud they are of being completely ignorant besides CBC. The classic rock station, 89.9 and TSN being the worst of them.

Just the sound of these people's voices is enough to make me want to turn off my radio.

Is this common practice or is it just an Ottawa thing?

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Is it normal that all morning shows are geared towards morons? Like every radio station in the city practically beats their chest over how proud they are of being completely ignorant besides CBC. The classic rock station, 89.9 and TSN being the worst of them.

Just the sound of these people's voices is enough to make me want to turn off my radio.

I find that 88.5 is doesn't insult my intelligence.

Reactions: stempniaksen

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

It's a small town/city thing. Don't hear it as much in Toronto and Montreal radio.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
It's a small town/city thing. Don't hear it as much in Toronto and Montreal radio.
I dunno about Montreal but Toronto has a ton of horrible morning shows too but they have way more variety and a couple good ones in the mostly terrible batch.

Speaking of variety, we have 2 freaking pop country music stations here and not a single decent hip hop offering.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Is this common practice

In North America? Generally, yes.

In Europe? Not at all.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I dunno about Montreal but Toronto has a ton of horrible morning shows too but they have way more variety and a couple good ones in the mostly terrible batch.

Speaking of variety, we have 2 freaking pop country music stations here and not a single decent hip hop offering.

I remember when 89.99 was a niche hip hop station waaaayyy back. good times.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Every station that has tried anything close to a hip-hop format hasn't been able to turn a profit or even keep the ledger out of the red.

The problem isn't that no one has tried, it's that:
1) not enough people listened to it to justify the costs that the station would need to ask for advertising spots to keep the station afloat.
2) businesses were hesitant to pay the asking price for ads on the station based on the smaller audience the station had when compared to the cost of buying ad spots on the station, when ads on rival stations with a larger audience share cost roughly the same.

There are 2 pop country stations because, unfortunately, Ottawa is kind of a hick town, especially once you get outside the greenbelt, and pop-country is the new "pop music".

More listeners = more people want to buy ad slots = you can charge more for ads = a profitable business = people will copy profitable business models.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I wonder if the market has changed enough in the last 15 years, that can make Ottawa fully support a niche hip hop only station. I wonder if one of Bell/Rogers has already looked into this with some type of market research, would be really interested in seeing those numbers. Just a gut feeling but I think it can now, especially how so many hip hop artists have migrated towards more into the Pop scene more and more mainstream than ever before ie Drake, The Weekend etc. Especially the ever changing demographics in the city.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I wonder if the market has changed enough in the last 15 years, that can make Ottawa fully support a niche hip hop only station. I wonder if one of Bell/Rogers has already looked into this with some type of market research, would be really interested in seeing those numbers. Just a gut feeling but I think it can now, especially how so many hip hop artists have migrated towards more into the Pop scene more and more mainstream than ever before ie Drake, The Weekend etc. Especially the ever changing demographics in the city.
Probably not. That demographic is younger and aren't going to be listening to the radio anyways. More and more young people aren't even buying cars anymore, there's really no need listen to a radio with the invention of the smart phone.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
I remember when 89.99 was a niche hip hop station waaaayyy back. good times.

It wasn't so much that 89.9 was a niche hip hop station, but that hip-hop as a genre was the most mainstream it's ever been. Gangster rappers were household names and their songs were being played on nationally-syndicated top-40 shows lol. That's just not the case anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad